Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default First Impression's New to me EC250

I picked up a 2007 EC250 to go with my 2006 DE 200. I have been looking for a good clean one fairlly close and found one this week. I really wanted to help out the dealer network and by a new one, but in this economy 1/3 the price of new.

Start off, My 06 200 is stock suspended. It handles awsome. It is by far the best bike (Suspension Wise)I have ownend for the Nasty stuff I ride. The engine could use some more on the bottom, more traction ect., thus my search for a 250.

I took it out for on a Nasty 5 mile loop at the MMC annual thanksgiving ride. The area is called the bone yard. Just the stuff that my 200 suspension loves, just the stuff that my 200 moter gives fits on the rocky hills.

The EC250 has a 2k3 ignition. I am amazed how low rpm this thing will run, It seems like you can count the piston firing and it wont stall. Very impressive. Equally as impressive is the traction. The 200 really liked a trials tire to climb stuff with no momentum. This bike climbs and chug awsome. The throtle controls the rear wheel very easlly. Stab the clutch and it goes well.

The suspension needs some work. The seller tells me Factory Did the Shock, And the Forks are stock. As much as I like my 06 in the Nasty Stuff, This bike is that far the other side. Tomorrow I will put my 06 suspension on it and see how it does. More to come on that. If all goes well I will Just valve the 07 stuff like the 06.

This is going to be a very good woods weopon here in New England

ED

Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 PM

I'll be watching this thread ...
I've been thinking about trading down from my 300 to a 200. Been kind of wondering about a 250. With my husky 144 i'm working on I'm thinking I'll hold onto the 300 make a few changes and keep it around a bit longer.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM

I was at mmc yesterday, soft was good, but if you need work on your suspension, Jim (the NETRA Champ) and I use Bill at C-Cycle. He's been in contact with us and all of Gas Gas National riders to help perfect our suspension. He's going to Florida with us this winter to help get the 2010's ready. Call he he's in East Hampton Ct.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Site Sponsor

i'm watching closely - today was my last race on the 200(i think...). with 9oz fww it climbs hills better, but traction is still an issue sometimes on big rocky uphills.. i'd like to try a 6 speed 250.. just want a little bit more torque so when i get stuck on a hill i can get going again....
Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM

When I bought the 07 EC250 I was riding a 07 KX450 and the GasGas was for my wife to ride. Truth be told, I also wanted to try a proper woods 2-stroke because I had been struggling a bit to make the KX work nicely in the single track. Well, I have ridden the KX maybe 4 times in the last year and the Gasser just about every weekend. She can't get me off "her" bike, it's more comfortable, easier to ride and I'm way faster in the tight single track.

I had the opportunity to ride an EC300 for a day this summer and I just didn't feel the same on it. It wasn't set up specifically for me, but I think I had enough seat time to get a good feel for what was going on. The 300 definitely has more bottom end and that did come in handy in a few spots, but it also required better throttle control. It also was slightly heavier handling than the 250, but nothing like the 450.

I think anyone under maybe 190 or 200lbs geared up should definitely give the 250's a chance. On really technical, slow hills I can sit on the rear fender for traction and the thing will just tractor up the hill without flipping over backwards. And on long straight steep climbs I just get her on the pipe in second or third and it just screams up no problem. Where the bike really excels is flying through the tight single track with ease and I don't get as tired as on the bigger bikes. My buddy who rides a 450 Husaberg says the Gasser is like riding a bicycle. As soon as I sell the KX it'll be a 2010 EC250 six days for me. (anyone want a really nice 07 KX450?)