Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 AM

Default 07/08 gasgas 300

Ok, im am in the hunt for a new bike.
The toss up is KTM 300 or the Gasgas 300.
I am reading on the ktm forum they are still having fuel cap problems?
And there is always a disgruntled buyer every dozen threads not happy with something.
I come to the GasGas forum and i cant find anyone complaining!!!
Is this because 1. ktm sell heaps more bikes
2. GasGas make a superior machine?

Has anyone had any dramas with there new rides and have they been happy with the customer support if there has been an issue?
Cheers and keep on riding.
Kevlar

Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 AM

Most of us owned KTMs in the past. Now we own bikes that steer, don't beat us up, and don't leak gas. KTMs are a well made, mass produced bike, but you will not be happy with the stock suspension and even revalved does not have the same potential as the GG, any tuner will tell you that. I recently rode an '06 KTM and its not even close to my '07 GG in suspension and handling. The GG is a little more hand made, some simple quirks, but shines on the trail where it counts. Very durable as well. KTM as a company is much larger, sells a lot of bikes, and has money to hire some fast riders. People buy what they see a lot of and take comfort in the fact that they are in the majority. Do not confuse this with what actually works better on the trail.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Site Sponsor

kevlar

I hope your not looking for any great KTM reviews here

The only thing that GasGas gives up to KTM is in the resale area. If you can give up $500 to $750 in resale then you'll be OK.

If you factor in that you probably have to spend that kind of money to get the suspension right on a KTM then its a draw.

The 07/08 GasGas has all the right stuff right out of the box to make your riding experience a good one. Especially the 300

KTM builds a very good motorcycle but like GMP said they have a lot of their strength in numbers.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM

I'm in the same boat. Planning to buy next summer to replace the vaunted "Dangerously Modified" (tm) KDX220R.

Having been leaning towards a 300, I've test ridden a bunch of KTMs from a 2004 200 (too much like a strong 125), three 2007 250XC/XC-W/SX (fun) and a pair of 2006 300 XC/XC-W (capable).

The 300 was okay (nothing scary, power-wise) and turned better than my KDX. But I felt more at home on the 250s (even at 7,000 feet where I suspect the hit was diminished to my liking).

The advantages (some rumor, some not) to the GG are the six-speed tranny which KTM has abandoned in the 250/300 2T and KTM-ophiles decry as a major factor in which model they buy ("will the 250XCW pull the gap?"); supposedly still better boingers (linked rear and better than WP and PDS); dual map with switch (more defined maps than in KTM); no big jetting problems; no over-heating problems. Additionally, the GG 300 is said to have a little less on bottom and more on top, which might make it more useful to me than the KTM300.

I doubt that I'll be able to get a test ride on a Gas Gas, and I don't like going at this blind. Be that as it may, I keep hearing that even 2001-vintage GGs turn better and have better suspension than (at the time) '06 KTMs.

How do the recent model GGs compare to '07 and '08 KTMs, which are said to have been vastly improved in the handling and suspension department?

Rick
And I didn't even mention the gas cap

Last edited by AZRickD; 08-27-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Depending upon which forum you visit (here or KTMTalk), you will tend to hear the 'good' about each bike. This is natural, but GG folks will be more honest and unbiased. Like GMP mentioned, many here have had KTM backgrounds... and some still do.

A couple things to consider about the '08 KTM's. The 250/300 frames & engines have been updated for '08. IMHO, this is a bad thing since no aftermarket large tanks are available at the moment. The 1/4 gas cap is total crap... even with the locking push top. Trust me on this!!! I dealt with this issue first hand (my '04 bike had an '06 tank when I first bought it). Secondly, not many parts will transfer over from '04-'07 bikes to the '08 bikes. This makes buying new/used KTM parts more of a hassle. Another poor design is their countersprocket seal, which requires perfect preload not to leak... again trust me on this one. Finally, who needs an electric start on two stroke bikes. If you get the '08 250/300 XC-W bikes, KTM forces you to get e-start which makes no sense. Key benefits of two strokes are the simplicity and light weight... why put e-starters and a battery on... stupid, stupid, stupid! Sorry about the rant.

So am I a 'KTM hater'... Nope. My 200EXC has been a blast to ride and I would easily recommend one. Can I recommend someone buying an '08 KTM 250 or 300? NO, based on the gas cap issue alone. Someone will die due to this design. Luckily, a few folks have only had chemical burns. For me, the e-start is a deal breaker too, but this can be removed. If you plan to go with a KTM, pick up a left over '07 bike.

In my mind, the ONLY choice for an out-of-the-box 2008 'woods bike' is the GasGas EC250/300 (actually, a DE250/300 would be preferred). GasGas always keeps what works and adds refinements each year. This is hard to beat.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 AM

If KTM had the balls to admit a mistake and engineer linkage back in the bike they would be almost impossible to beat. But, no worries, as they won't even admit a gas cap problem is big enough for a redesign. This is good for GG and especially Husky, who now with BMW bucks and some fresh designs is ready to strike.

If you want to know how an '08 KTM XC/XCW handles look to an '07 SX, same geometry with the newer shock angle. Of course the valving is different but their stock valving is always way off and if your serious you will need a revalve anyway. Better, but still a KTM, no thanks.

The GG is very close out of the crate, and eaisly made just about perfect for a wide range of riders.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM

The only place I give the KTM an advantage is in the weight department, especially compared to my 01 200. The 07 Gassers don't give up much to KTM in the weight department.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Okay

Ill make it real simple.

BUY A GASSER.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
In my mind, the ONLY choice for an out-of-the-box 2008 'woods bike' is the GasGas EC250/300 (actually, a DE250/300 would be preferred).
I can appreciate that. I'd like to verify that with a ride on a GG one day. The likelihood of that, let alone getting a ride on an EC and a DE is slim.

What do you like the DE better? Lighter flywheel and (what else?). I'd prefer some angular momentum for our rocks.

Speedy, it looks like GGs won't give up much of anything in the weight department, and when you consider that both 250 and 300 XC-Ws are coming with another 9 pounds of e-start and related equipment (instead of the needed sixth gear), the GG should be just fine in that department.

I have my doubts that there will be a GG easily for sale for me down in Arizona just when I need it next summer, but I'll keep my hopes appropriately elevated -- and I'll be asking for your help at that time.

Rick
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Rick, it's easy.

Step 1--Fly to Houston for $99 on Southwest, ride my bike(MC250) or Boomhauer's (WEC 250).

Step 2--Fly back to AZ and place order.