Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Anyone have experience with "Power Now" carb plates?

Anyone on this forum ever installed a Power Now carb plate on their EC/DE?

I'm considering trying that piece on my son's '05 EC 200 based on the following rationale: Carb's with a smaller bore, relative to engine displacement, generally offer sharper and more immediate throttle response (less bogging) and more
relative torque at lower rpm's (trials bikes generally use smaller bore carbs than
MX or woods bikes). The Power Now, because of it's design, creates a condition at less than 1/2 throttle openings that simulates a smaller bore carb than the 38mm PWK that is on the bike.

First, is my reasoning sound?

Second, if you use or have used the Power Now plate(s), I'd love to get your
comments.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM

The theory is sound but it did nothing and was a waste of $$, I tried it. The more complete approach of two plates and other mods by Ron at RBD is another matter. Very good reviews.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Good info.
What sort of carb mods does Ron do? This bike currently has the LTR jetting
and is ridden mostly on tight single track (hence, the desire for sharper response and more low-end).
Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You should ping boomhauer or magellan. They both have carbs with divider plates installed by Ron @ RB-Designs. The jet block is also modified to enhance the sensitivity of the pilot circuits, etc.

Power now makes two kinds of divider plates. One is installed in front of the slide and one after (engine side of slide)... I think the one's after are more effective.

I have always thought that divider plates were a fad - but properly done, it sure works - I rode magellan's bike after he had Ron at RB-Designs work over his carb and it worked very, very well.

I think RB-Designs divider plate is more effective and I wouldn't waste my money on a power now. With Ron's mods - the divider plate is machined into the existing bore (or you can have it bored to 39mm at the same time) and the divider plate is thinner than the power now divider plate - both decrease turbulence over a power now device. Ron told me that he ran the modified carb on a flow bench that he has and the velocity is greater by an amount that he found surprising...

jeff
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Good info.
What sort of carb mods does Ron do? This bike currently has the LTR jetting
and is ridden mostly on tight single track (hence, the desire for sharper response and more low-end).
You can find details on what Ron does here...

http://www.rb-designs.com/gasgas250-300.htm

jeff
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM

And one additional thing that Ron does (which I think is significant) and which Power Now does not is to shape the plate to the curvature of the slide. The edge of the Power Now plate is straight, and this results in a gap between the plate and the slide. I would expect the gap to reduce the "quality" of the flow.

Once I get my EC300 back together, I'll tell you of my impressions. The snow's gone and I can hear bikes in the hills right now as I type.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have both of the PowerNow thingys. The intake and then the other one closest to the cylinder. This isn't the RB Designs one's. They gave it a little more snap and slightly more torque.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the fedback, so far, guys.
I did vsit the RB Designs site and it looks like that may be the best option if I decide to try the divider plate(s). The Power Now is $100.00 for a single plate & $200. for front and rear units.
RBD will do the divider plate plus carb. mods for a total of $150.00
I'll definitely contact Magellan and Boomhauer fo their feedback.
Any additional comments would be welcome.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 AM

My local sponsor had a box full of those Power Now inserts arrive in his shop when they were first getting popular. My bike was in there and he popped my carb off and slipped one in. I stopped by to get my bike and he said, "Hey Mike, check this out." The PowerNow did not fit my carb properly. It looked fine 'till you looked closely. The holes didn't line up. It was for that carb, but apparently the GG PWK 39 is different than the KTM. I'd be very careful. It sounds like the custom carb mod is better anyway.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks fopr all the input, so far, guys.
Based on the feedback on this forum, it sounds like: 1) carb divider plates are no magic bullet, though more than half the comments indicated some positive results from using them . . . and 2) If I do go that route, RB Designs (or similar custom shop) would definitely be superior to the mass produced items.

As far as I can tell all of the feedback thus far has come from 250 / 300 riders.
I'd still be interested in any feedback from owner's of EC 200's who've used divider plates.