Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Default 2011 GG - fork & triple clamp conversion

Wondering if it is possible to mount WP 48mm tubes to a GG and where I can find the goodies to convert it? I have a worked over set from my KTM that I would really like to put on my new GG. Has anyone tried this yet?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I just put 48mm WP forks with Ohlins TTX cartridges on my 2011 GasGas. I have the 48mm Sachs from the factory. The tubes for the wp forks is a little larger at the bottom clamp of the triple clamp but it fits fine if you spread it a little with a screwdiver.

The caliper bolts right up to the feet on the WP forks. I am running a KTM front wheel right now but I am looking at getting some bushings made for the GasGas axle so I can run my GasGas wheel. I also thought about seeing if I can find bearings with the same I.D. as the KTM Axle and the O.D. of the GasGas hub and just use a KTM axle and wheel spacers.

I rode the bike quite a bit over the weekend and the TTX forks are a big step up over the Sachs stuff. I had the Sachs revalved and resprung for my weight but they were still too harsh on chop and braking bumps.

I sprung the TTX for my weight but I have not touched the valving yet or turned a clicker. The TTX were valved for a much lighter rider so I imagine with a little work they would be even better.

I am running .50 springs in my Sachs and .54 with the TTX. I had the .54 in the Sachs originally but they were beating me to death so I went to the .50 springs and it made it much better. With the .54 in the TTX the ride is what I would call firm but it is not at all harsh. It rides high in the stroke and there is no spike or deflection when hammering into obstacles.

I will try to report back with more observations and pics when I get a chance.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM

What is the lower diameter fork difference. If it is 1mm out it would cause stiction in the fork. If you put a fork leg in a vice and slid the lower up and down with the springs out, you would know what I mean.

The KTM front brake rotor is smaller than the gasgas so putting the front wheel in will mean you have to sort out a caliper adaptor too.

I run twin chamber Showas in my gasgas. The front wheel fitted with some new bearings and spacers. I had to shim the sachs triple clamps to fit the forks.

The new CRF450R 09 onwards forks (48mm) are the same outer leg diametre as the sachs top and bottom triple clamp.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM

The KTM front rotor is the same diameter as the GasGas rotor, no problem there. I have not measured the tubes with calipers but they are not snug enough to create any crush of the tube or create distortion or stiction. I suppose you could pry a little harder on the clamp to "open" it more so the tube would slide in freely.

As I mentioned before I have ridden the bike for a couple of hours with the WP/TTX forks and KTM front wheel and axle installed and there are no problems with this setup. The Nissin caliper mounts directly to the bracket on the fork lug.

The only thing that is a little off is that the center to center measurement of the tubes is apprx. 8" on the GasGas compared to 7.75" on the KTM. This means you have to slide the axle in a little further.

From looking at the front wheel it appears to be centered but I assume it is actually about 1/8th" off center toward the caliper side. It is not visible and I can not detect it while riding.

I am going to a friends machine shop tomorrow so he can make me some bushings for the GasGas axle so I can run the GasGas front wheel with the wp forks.

The bushing will also need to space the axle .25" away from the caliper side in order to center the wheel. I may also have to have him make a new axle nut that is apprx. .50" longer because the stock nut will only catch about two or three threads.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
I just put 48mm WP forks with Ohlins TTX cartridges on my 2011 GasGas. I have the 48mm Sachs from the factory. The tubes for the wp forks is a little larger at the bottom clamp of the triple clamp but it fits fine if you spread it a little with a screwdiver.

The caliper bolts right up to the feet on the WP forks. I am running a KTM front wheel right now but I am looking at getting some bushings made for the GasGas axle so I can run my GasGas wheel. I also thought about seeing if I can find bearings with the same I.D. as the KTM Axle and the O.D. of the GasGas hub and just use a KTM axle and wheel spacers.

I rode the bike quite a bit over the weekend and the TTX forks are a big step up over the Sachs stuff. I had the Sachs revalved and resprung for my weight but they were still too harsh on chop and braking bumps.

I sprung the TTX for my weight but I have not touched the valving yet or turned a clicker. The TTX were valved for a much lighter rider so I imagine with a little work they would be even better.

I am running .50 springs in my Sachs and .54 with the TTX. I had the .54 in the Sachs originally but they were beating me to death so I went to the .50 springs and it made it much better. With the .54 in the TTX the ride is what I would call firm but it is not at all harsh. It rides high in the stroke and there is no spike or deflection when hammering into obstacles.

I will try to report back with more observations and pics when I get a chance.

Are you over 250lbs? Those are pretty beefy fork springs, custom wound no doubt,what rate are you running out back to balance things? who did them for you?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Around 315, I think the rear is a 5.8 or maybe 6.2, I can not remember exactly.
I had the springs made by Richard at house of horsepower (Cannon GasGas).
I am also running the LTR shorter pull rods that make the rear sit higher and stiffen the rear. I have about 7-10mm of preload and I think I set the sag about 105.

I may try some .50 springs in the forks or maybe even one .50 and one .54.
The TTX actually felt really good the way I had it though.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
Around 315, I think the rear is a 5.8 or maybe 6.2, I can not remember exactly.
I had the springs made by Richard at house of horsepower (Cannon GasGas).
I am also running the LTR shorter pull rods that make the rear sit higher and stiffen the rear. I have about 7-10mm of preload and I think I set the sag about 105.

I may try some .50 springs in the forks or maybe even one .50 and one .54.
The TTX actually felt really good the way I had it though.
Wow. That rear seams light. I run a 5.8 out back I'm 200lbs
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 AM

I may be wrong, It may be a 6.8. I will have to check.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 AM

I have my dealer looking for some 48mm clamps. I am encouraged by your experience and if the cost is not prohibitive I will go this route. I am also thinking about the twin chamber showa's etc but I need to look at overall cost vs practicality. The 45 zokes are not bad but just not nearly what I want in a fork for what I am doing right now. However, I will likely stop desert racing after this year and only ride woods/enduros and hopefully ride on a few more future ISDE teams. So setting the forks up for slower more technical riding vs fast and blast is easier.