Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Move from KDX to 300ec?

Hi Guys,

I just got back into dirt biking after a 15 year hiatus (I'm 35 now). I bought a KDX 220 last year, did a lot of trail riding and entered my first ever harescramble last week - best time of my life!! I finished 7 ot of 21 in my class and felt great about it. The stock (properly jetted) KDX really surprised me, it was awesome in the tight stuff - the short wheel base was really easy to thread through trees, the engine and gear ratio allowed me to tractor without stalling, and it always started up on the first kick when I needed it to.

The suspension on the fast sections is what let me down though, and from what I've read, there really isn't really much that can be done outside of throwing a lot of money at it and still winding up mediocre at best. I also could use more top end.

A guy locally has a 2001 GasGas 300ec for sale for $2000. It is pretty much stock except for the bars and a revalve by Powerband Racing. He raced it in a few enduros. I'm thinking of putting my KDX up for sale and buying the GasGas so I can be more competive in harescramble and enduros, WITHOUT spending a lot more money.

So my questions are:

Is it easy to get parts for a 2001?
What are the differences between the old and new 300's?
Any weaknesses of the model/year I should know about?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I own an 01 300 also. Best bike I have ever owned. I had a kdx like yours also, you will absolutly love the 300.
so far in a year of ownership, I have needed nothing other than normal stuff.
go-fasters is where I have gotten almost everything and I am in texas, a long way from them, and I have my parts inside a week.
I now own 2 ggs and would have more if the wife unit would let me.
Alot of the stuff on gg bikes are the same.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM

I used to own a "Dangerously Modified" (tm) KDX220R (RB-Designs head squish mod, carb mod, Pro Circuit torque pipe and an FMF rev pipe, VF3 reeds, etc) up until last spring. Great bike. I even put a set of 1998 KX250 forks on the front end and upped the shock spring as well.

I raced it in several enduros and it did me just fine. The only thing it lacked was that oomph explosion of power when I'd turn a corner and see a line of whoops that I needed speed to skip over but instead had to suffice with rolling the first couple.

When I got my 2005 DE250, I found that it was actually easier to ride (and that was before I recently got it resprung for my weight). The compactness of the GG and the extra ponies helped in most situations. The GG turned waaaay faster, and I used far less energy during difficult rides.

The KDX did have some low-end, slow-speed prowess that I miss a bit, but the 300 (vs the 250) should make up for that.

Lastly, be prepared -- I still miss my KDX. Get over it. Move forward (and try to bum rides off of any KDX you might bump into over the next few years).

I sold it to a guy in California who bought it for his "girl friend" (sure he did). He sent some pics a couple of weeks ago. Here he is riding it in some nasty stuff near Lake Piru in California. He said the rains washed out the trail so they had to be creative in this section.

He added blinkers. Kalifornia is crazy.

Rick
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

KDX to Gas Gas is an easy transition. Just more of everything good about a KDX, less of everything bad.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll go take a closer look at the 300. Hopefully it hasn't been raced too hard.
That is a one of the best pictures I've ever seen of a KDX!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about it being "raced too much" as long as the owner took care of it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Default Go For it!!!

Mark,
My first GasGas was an '01 EC300 and it was what sparked my passionate
love affair with the brand and especially the 300! I would still own it if a
good friend of mine didn't beg me to buy it so many times I gave up! He has
about 15 motorcycles and several of them are GasGas bikes. The good news
is that he is taking really good care of it and I will probably get it back in on
trade in the near future since he wants to buy a new one! The '01 has the
smaller radiators (which I really like!) and still never had an overheating
problem. Just make sure the bike is clean and well taken care of, if it is I
wouldn't hesitate to buy it in a flash. You will love riding this bike and
especially when you ride the tight technical trails - that is where it
absolutely shines!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom
Old 05-14-2009, 06:36 AM

One of my best mates just sold his '93/'94(?) KDX250 and bought an '04 EC300 off another good mate. He loves it and can't stop talking about how much better it is over the KDX in every aspect.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM

My 250 was a bit heavier, bigger and more powerful than the 200/220s are though Mike. I haven't ridden a KDX200 to compare though.

However the simplest way I can compare the bikes is that the EC300 feels like the KDX250 + a decade of improvemnts. I felt immediately comfortable on the EC after the KDX, the EC just does everything a lot better.

Two things were better about the KDX though - engine has less vibrations (mine was the SR with the balance shaft), and the 12 litre tank on the KDX meant a lot better range than the EC.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Kdx To Gg

I'VE HAD A KDX 200, LOVED IT, GOT A 2000 GG 250 MC AND LOVE IT MORE, BUT I'M SELLING IT BECAUSE MY SON DOESN'T LIKE RIDING LIKE I DO. LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE DOING SOME KAYAKING AND CANOEING WITH HIM. MY EMAIL IS cogginclan@hotmail.com if you want more info on my GG. Price is only $1400 and its ready to ride. I'm also selling my sons YZ 125.