Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 AM

Default GG need to polish up on some after thought

I reckon gg proby come on here to have a nose & ritely so.so there's no better way of feed back as from the horses mouth.eg the riders
Iv read a few people saying that gg build quality is better than Ktm,it's to early for me to say as only had the bike (250ec 12 )for just over a week but as for after thought then it is a defo no sofar.
Examples
1.To change the plug u cannot get a plug or ring spanner on it as there's a nut rite next to it so have to use open end or pairmofmgrips
2.To remove the seat,have to unbolt it, need to get with the program and use a pullcord system, no messing just pull & unclick
3. To remove airfilter, have to remove the battery,no big deal but have to wiggle it out, it don't come out cleanly.would be nice to slot straight in/ out
4.the front pipe was missing a bolt at the bracket next to plastic subframe,noticed it was unaligned only by a mm or 2, thought I just. Loosen pipe of from the manifold then can't get a socket on it as the boltheads are to close to the pipe,would have to use open end spanner & the heads look like there made of chocolate so thought give it a miss & ended up lockwiring the missing bolt. It probly don't fit properly anyway that's why the dealer probly gave it a miss
5 can't believe all the different types & sizes of bolts on it,need to move with the times & fit torx & try keep them the same,as will use it for trails looks like I'm gonna have to strap a tool box on,also they look pretty soft heads as well
6 the Plaki subframe looks bit weak, sure it will be man enough for what I do, but might be a different story on a motox track
7.why put the map switch where it is
I'm not having a moan here boys,just bit of constructive criticism which hopefully the the GG boys take on board.i know we all paint a pretty picture of our machines what ever brand we got,but sometimes we need to tell it how it is.

Love the controls,they seem neat & solid more than ktm & the stand seems manly more than the pisspoor ktm one.

After having a glance back I could say sofar I reckon GG build quality is not as good as Ktm/berg which is a fair tall order.its just minor things which wouldn't
Take much to sort.
the bike has only done 50 miles,I rode it for 10 mins and had to come home due to fuel mix issue to rich 33-1 which previous owner was advised to use by dealer but that now is sorted.
I can only bench mark the GG to Ktm exc200 which I had 2 of for 4yrs & berg 450 70degree jobby which I had 2 of in the last 4.5 yrs.
Ok I waffled enough bs for now & looking forward falling for GG & reckon I'm gonna be converted pretty soon.
Ps I'm not mr Ktm, great bikes but I'm getting sick of the sight of them,hence now on a GG

Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at was was upgraded on the 2013 models and you may be seeing a brand thats actually moving forward

Seat and battery box was a known Fup for 2012. Improved for 2013. Never an issue for previous years. I haven't seen the 2012/13 spark access, but no issues on the 2011. Do GG still delivery with the bum bags and the few tools? I found the stock spark spanner is the only thing I have that fits, but its a good fit and the handle doubles as the allen key for the front axle. Each year the fasnters get more uniform and refined. I agree we need a lot of tools.. wait until you get into the linkage The subframe on the race models are upgraded to alloy as a few of the faster people have damaged the plastic ones. Most find them very suitable for the purpose though.

At the end of the day they still aren't on par with the ktm or jap build quality and user ease. They're still very much an enthuiasts bike, but have a look at everyone here! Suits us just right. The good is that once you learn the bike and the tricks of the trade they really don't take much more than a few extra tools to get things done. They ride like magic and are as reliable as a stone. 2012 was a major upgraded (chassis) so only normal to be some initial issues, most related to the air box/cartridge filter change of plans.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM

For myself, coming off a 07 Ktm 450 and now ride a 2011 EC 300, and also own a 2010 ktm sxf 450, I have noticed a few things that may not be quite up to the ktm but there is also things I think are better.
For one, at least on my gasser I can easily remove the spark plug without removing the gas tank. I know of many ktm models that you can't even get to the spark plug without removing the fuel tank and on my 2010 ktm sxf 450, even with the tank off it is still difficult to get a socket on the plug due to a frame crossmember directly above the plug, so IMHO, I give the edge to the Gas Gas there.

Also I think the ktm air box design is terrible! Sure there is easy access but it takes seconds on a trail for the filter to be completely covered in dirt and dust. It takes me sometimes several rides on the gasser for my filter to look like the ktm filter after a short ride, I prefer the gasser here to, I don't have estart so maybe if I did my opinion would change but I would take having to remove one seat bolt anyday compared to an easy access airbox with a filthy filter. I have also been reading that on the 2013 Bergs, I am not sure if the ktm is the same but the air box seems to be a design flaw. Guys are having problems with loosing the air box seal and getting dirt in the airboot. Not something I would want to see on a new bike.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Buy the kit!! trust me! makes doing the plug easy!

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0318/
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Ranger, I don't think that will work as if I can't get a ring spanner on it then it looks like that's similar .

Glad to hear the 13s have come on somewhat, most of it isn't rocket science but common sense,eg fit exhaust manifold bolts u can get a socket on simples.
I hear what ur saying, it's what ur use to and it's like a women, ur soon get a Feel for it & find ur way around it and the job will be done in half the time
Spose I can only compare to exc05 & berg 09 I had, the exc was piece of piss to find way around it with space and the berg was rock solid so never had to do much apart from maintenance which was easy peezy,most bolts same type most same size,also had air filter up under the seat like the gas which keeps the crap out.
I bought it second hand & guy didn't have a the tool bag, but will keep my eye open for one especially if it comes with lightweight plug spanner
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakesy View Post
Ranger, I don't think that will work as if I can't get a ring spanner on it then it looks like that's similar .

Glad to hear the 13s have come on somewhat, most of it isn't rocket science but common sense,eg fit exhaust manifold bolts u can get a socket on simples.
I hear what ur saying, it's what ur use to and it's like a women, ur soon get a Feel for it & find ur way around it and the job will be done in half the time
Spose I can only compare to exc05 & berg 09 I had, the exc was piece of piss to find way around it with space and the berg was rock solid so never had to do much apart from maintenance which was easy peezy,most bolts same type most same size,also had air filter up under the seat like the gas which keeps the crap out.
I bought it second hand & guy didn't have a the tool bag, but will keep my eye open for one especially if it comes with lightweight plug spanner
The plug spanner that came with the bag is one of the best tools in it. I didn't recieve a bag with mine either, but the members on here were kind enough to throw one my way.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakesy View Post
Yes, works on my 11 and 13, the socket comes off, slips over the plug then you slip the handle over that if it is tight, then you can ratchet it off. I think that it also worked on the 07. I can use it on my KTM without the socket, socket needed on the GGs.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have an S3 head on mine too which brings the spark plug and water jacket even closer than stock. There is only a little bit of room for clearance but I believe the motion pro would work. I have an MSR one that is too bulky to clear it, and the stock GG which is just right. You could easily fab up a gg one out of an allen key and a normal cheapo plug spanner like this.

Just cut the section off and tack a handle on.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM

I don't think it's a height issue regards to the plug,but its got a nut rite next to it with hoses going into it which looks to close to plug nut to get a socket on it
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the pic I posted shows that they are long but all you are interested in is the hex end part. A ring end spanner has a lot more meat to it than a thin walled socket/plug spanner. Thats all. The motionpro will address the issues.