Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Clay, you should start a poll. I rarely trail ride, typically race once or twice a month. I would take durability over saving a couple pounds any day. My Gas Gas actually feels lighter to me already than my KTM 200 did while riding. I'm still getting used to the turning ability of the Gas Gas though as it's way quicker than I'm used to.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
My 2005 EC250 weighs in at 256 -- with:

Full armor (Aluminum skid, carbon pipe, bark busters, rads, rear shark fin)
Half tank of fuel
Bib Mousse front and rear
Spare tube (used for racers as I swept for a race).

Did I miss anything?
Drives me nuts when people weigh a bike with half a tank of fuel! Weigh it empty or full.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM

1.5 gallons x 6 = 9-ish pounds

I'll would've emptied the tank (or filled it), but I'd rather do math.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM

I would bet 245 is pretty close
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

People get so caught up on the numbers.. Its how it feels and handles thats really important.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I wish we had a way to determine how many riders:
1. Never race
2. Race once or twice a year
3. Race at least once a month.

Doesn't matter if you never race or race every weekend, every customer is important. But it would help us with marketing. By the way...when I worked at the orange company we struggled with this too.
Thinking I had seen something that addresses those questions I came across this poll

http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6743

With a little tweak it might give you the info you're looking for, and with better participation the picture becomes even clearer.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Banned

Gas Gas Spain lists the 2012 300E as dryweight 225lbs. Hard to believe oil and fuel could add 10lbs.to it?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I wish we had a way to determine how many riders:
1. Never race
2. Race once or twice a year
3. Race at least once a month.

Doesn't matter if you never race or race every weekend, every customer is important. But it would help us with marketing. By the way...when I worked at the orange company we struggled with this too.
From my observations here in Ontario Canada(being involved in the racing and DS community), the numbers would very possibly look something like this:
(add 1 and 2 together) 80-90% of all off road riders & dual sport riders(600cc & under).
3. 10-20% of offroad & DS riders.
4. MX usage- reverse the percentages

The numbers may vary somewhat in other areas.....(I'd suggest the racer(#3) numbers might be about 10-15 % points higher in the US and OZ)
They'd definitely be higher in places like the UK, cause for many, if you want to ride offroad, you're only choice is to race.

Here's the thing(this commentary isn't meant to be critical); The offroad bikes(GG, KTM, Husq, Beta, TM etc.) are designed and developed for the top level continental Euro racers (ie EWC etc.), but are actually sold in most part to the casual weekend plonkers all over the world & used in way different situations. This has been a big issue in the husky community with the transmissions they supply on their bikes. The huskys are a pretty good bike but the trans ratios are way too tight, especially on the 4ts. It's perfect for EWC type closed course events, but sucks in the rest of the wide open world where the bulk of the bikes are sold(& who they're actually sold to and how they're used- see above %ages): North, Central & South America, Australasia & NZ, Russia & Eastern Europe.
KTM has it pretty much figured out with good useable wide ratio trannys on their XCWs, but they have their other issues (& price$$).
Also, many mainland Euros really aren't allowed to ride in water anymore (cross rivers etc.) in their events, so most bikes aren't properly designed in that regard. (IMO)

Basically, it seems to me the bikes are built for the 10% & Euros, but actually sold to the 90%.

I've said it before(elsewhere) & I'll say it again(here); Manufacturers- Bring some development bikes to Corduroy Enduro country up here. Spend a whole season developing the bikes to be able to properly handle the conditions presented up here. Now you have a bike that you can sell all over the world to anyone, for any condition.

Don't even get me started about the Jap bikes......

Just some thoughts

Brian
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Brian,
Kind of confused here.......If Gas Gas did development at the Corduroy or anywhere else in North America, what would change about the bike? Maybe a larger tank? Heavier springs for larger riders? What else?
Clay
Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM

If the bikes were developed at the Corduroy Enduro, they would have 25lbs of body armour, a 30" seat height because you spend all day dabbing and a snorkel intake for the water crossings and a trials tire on the back.

I will pass on the Cord Special Edition.