Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
What was the problem with yours Doc?
First was the typical starter problem, but that cured miracolously.

Second and worse problem it fouled plugs. 7 plugs in 8 hours. It fouled the plugs when idling, as well as when I blipped the throttle. Tried hotter plugs, it fouled them too. It was a nightmare... but all good now.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Default My Starter is working!

So my starter worked intermittently, most of the time a horrible clunk and no action. When the bike was hot it would generally start with the second stab of the button. (Upgraded battery, ECU remap, added thicker cables and a negative.) That was until last weekend when nothing would happen, so I cleaned the bike and pulled the ignition cover.
What I found was the bearing for the electric start gear was bad. So bad it is just about impossible to turn, put some heat on it and it would spin so-so. So my dealer grabbed an ignition cover off a trade in and presto working starter!

So if you have a starter that is not working I would check this out.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Hi

So similar problem that I had with my -18 300 GP.

And in my case it was the starter. Also my starter never quite worked and got worse start by start. And after 5 hours it just gave up.

The old starter (in this video I keep the starter "pinned" for seconds and you can hear the growling):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcoluzaeg4..._0024.mov?dl=0

The new starter (or actually a start of a demo bike from importer):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74939ggfm6..._0027.mov?dl=0

So it just exploded running.

And yes, before the new starter I bought two new batteries and got one from GG (the one they recommend), had updated CDI from the beginning, had the wires done, and nothing made any difference.

So my money is on the starter motor...
Old 02-19-2019, 05:36 AM

Hi guys, just found where my problem was, seized shaft on the mechanism of the starter, if you go to the exploded manual, on the page where it shows the parts for the starter, the parts number 17 and 16 had given up.

The number 17 turns whit the stater motor but the 16 does not, i need to replace those but its a pain to take them out, tried last night with no success, i managed to take out the first bearing but this one is putting a fight.

cheers
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 AM

Heat is your friend for bearing removal.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
Hi guys, just found where my problem was, seized shaft on the mechanism of the starter, if you go to the exploded manual, on the page where it shows the parts for the starter, the parts number 17 and 16 had given up.

The number 17 turns whit the stater motor but the 16 does not, i need to replace those but its a pain to take them out, tried last night with no success, i managed to take out the first bearing but this one is putting a fight.

cheers
Think this may have just happened to mine, i've just got a free spinning sound. How did you diagnose this, marked it with a white dot?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 PM

For a short time my friends 2018 300 was starting fine. This was after the dealer gave him a new battery and an ECU. He had a problem with the small gear making a horrible noise after it wore the small cover oblong and the gear was trying to walk over the flywheel teeth. It subsequently fried the brushes. Now he has no spark while cranking. He replaced the gears the ECU and the cover as well as the the complete starter. Still no spark while cranking. If he kick starts it it immediately starts. Has anyone had problems with the wirings harnesses on these bikes. For 7 months since he bought the bike new his starter has not worked more than it has worked.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:36 AM

I have same problem, starter is turning engine ok, but no spark, no problems starting or riding with kickstarter. How to know do i have already new version of cdi software or not, flywheel? Spark comes with too high rpm to start with starter. I have wireing done, biggest battery there fits and even tried a car battery directly to starter, didnt help. When engine is warm (almost hot) then occasionally e-start works, mostly no luck.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM

I had the same problem, no spark using the starter even when trying to jump start. installed new starter last year and now has never failed to start hot or cold.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:53 PM

My friends 2018 has had 3 different ECUs and won't hardly run with a 2019 ECU. He has had 2 different starters and replaced the cover and most of the driven gears related to the starter including the flywheel gear. He's considering buying a wiring harness. His dealer has been good and has tried to help him.. at first with some new parts and battery and two ECUs. The dealer also sold him some starter gears at 1/2 price. Unfortunately he still has a bike that the E-Start doesn't work cold or hot. He has said more than once that if he didn't owe so much money on the bike it would already be gone.

I offered to look at the wiring schematic to determine if there's a separate circuit that is in use while cranking but the only wiring diagram he could get me was in spinach and lacked the detail I need to determine if it could be a wiring harness problem. I also understand that he is tired of throwing parts at his starting system with no success.

If anyone with a similar problem that has resolved it please post it up here.