Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Default I've about had it with Shivers.

OK, I 'm guessing that there really isn't anybody that can make Shivers work. I had one set of 07's revalved by a well know company and sent a brand new spare set from an 07 to Les.

While both performed somewhat better than stock they both feel like every single little rock is square edged and they still tend to blow through the stroke. It's becoming so annoying I've been riding my 08 KTM. Heck the WP's work better stock than the revalved Shivers.

What's my solution here for plush forks that don't blow through the stroke riding in extremely rocky, technical terrain? I'm ready to just pitch the Shivers in the trash.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ud_luz; 09-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Hmmm

Wife had a set of shivers on her Beta. Two tuners and four revlalves and never got em right...tried sub tanks also without sucsess

My Beta/Shivers and a different/new Tuner: worked great!
Used him on our last several bikes
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Is "blows through the stroke" the latest catch phrase in bikes. What does it mean? That your fork is compressing on hits?? That is what it should do. Valving is speed sensitive and springs hold the bike up.

It seems strange that the bike is harsh on the small stuff but compresses well (blows through the stroke). What is your weight and your sporing rates. I would guess your springs are too light.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Is "blows through the stroke" the latest catch phrase in bikes. What does it mean? That your fork is compressing on hits?? That is what it should do. Valving is speed sensitive and springs hold the bike up.

It seems strange that the bike is harsh on the small stuff but compresses well (blows through the stroke). What is your weight and your sporing rates. I would guess your springs are too light.
Les did the last set with .44 springs which would have been right when I told him 195#. I'm down to 180 now. Here's the issue. Running down rocky trails they are extremely harsh and tend to bounce around quite a bit. When you launch off a 3 or 4 foot ledge going down hill the forks almost immediately bottom, disconcerting to say the least. I ride right off the rear fender on downhills due to this.

Les did a nice job making them work much better than stock but these forks are just flat out uncomfortable to ride. I raised the oil level to 120 which helped slightly but these forks feel like a 2x4 as far as harshness goes. When two different tuners set them up, both of which made them work much better than stock, and they still feel very harsh on all the rocks I have to assume part of it is the nature of the forks themselves.

I am by no means an aggressive rider but I do ride very challenging trails. Something just isn't right when the stock WP on an 08 feels much more planted. I've had a couple of people much more experienced than I try adjusting the compression/rebound and sag with both sets of forks and they walk away rather unimpressed.

The Sachs rear I had locally tuned on the other hand I'm quite pleased with.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I also have an '07 with shivers. I have experimented alot with these forks. I could post my shim stacks when I get home, if that would be of any help. My first thought is I don't find these at all harsh... have you wound your comp clicker all the way out ? also, I have found an oil level of 105 to be much better. Yours sounds low. I am running 7.5wt Motul.
The other thought is be sure it is not harshness transferred from the rear - it can be hard to differentiate. GMP rides what sounds like similar terrain to you, and He is very happy so I'm sure it is do-able. ( The shim stacks he has posted are quite different to mine).
Sorry if my reply seems a bit garbled. What I am trying to say is that a good result is definately achievable, I believe.

Funnily enough, I dislike my Sachs rear - I have a softer spring and even with both HS and LS clickers wound all the way out (soft) I still find the rear a bit harsh, especially when I'm not riding hard !
Old 09-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Has anyone tried the Race Tech Gold Valves in the 45mm 'Zokes?
I know a couple of folks that don't care for these forks.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Mine work very well in nasty rocks at my B level speed. NO deflection. Firm but not abusive ride. I had Les do them, but added a few changes of my own, as I like to experiment and learn. Try this:

Springs. Spring to the stiff sude, but run VERY LITTLE preload, like 1mm, enough to keep the spring from rattling around. Preload is the enemy of a plush ride over small trail trash.

Rebound. Said it many times the fork is a sloppy mess in this respect. Much perceived harshness comes from lack of HS rebound control. I upped the HS stack and its MUCH better, especially important with stiffer springs.

Midvalve. This is a delicate balance, but done right it slows things down without harshness. This is what seems to add versitility to the fork. For pure slow speed hell a checkplate works fine but when speed increases you need more help keeping the fork up. I added a light stack with about 1.4mm float.

Clamps. Get your lower clamp torque down to around 9Nm on two bolts only and just seat the third.

Shock. Drop your rear preload to the point where the steering starts to suffer, and add just enough back. Even try adding low speed comp rather than preload to do this. This will unload the fork. Forget about sag numbers work with feel.

I use Les's base valve setup.

No kidding, I can smash stuff with abandon, not scary like my old WPs were. I hope the new 48mm is close and/or is eaisly tuned. Your results may vary but the fork is definately tunable and is among the easiest for DIY work.

A lot of this I have to credit a member who is now on KTMs for. "Pobit" was quite good at interpreting the issues with the Shiver fork.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
OK, I 'm guessing that there really isn't anybody that can make Shivers work. I had one set of 07's revalved by a well know company and sent a brand new spare set from an 07 to Les.

While both performed somewhat better than stock they both feel like every single little rock is square edged and they still tend to blow through the stroke. It's becoming so annoying I've been riding my 08 KTM. Heck the WP's work better stock than the revalved Shivers.

What's my solution here for plush forks that don't blow through the stroke riding in extremely rocky, technical terrain? I'm ready to just pitch the Shivers in the trash.

Thanks.
If you're throwing them away, throw them my way.

I like mine, had several re-valves now to get them how I want them. Might be worth posting your shim stacks on here and someone may be able to say what worked for them or suggest which way to go next.
From what little I know suspension feel is very subjective and right for me might not be right for someone else.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp4banger View Post
Might be worth posting your shim stacks on here
Well, I guess I have my weekend project.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 PM

I love the 50mm shivers on my 07.