Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Default I did think my start button was broken

After 15 hours and the first time on a MX track. My start engine started to fail.
Some time noting happens at all when I pressed the start button.
So contacted my re seller go get the modifications.
I did get new power cables bigger battery and new FW to my CDI box.
But still it the start motor will not spin at all some times when I press the start button.
Then I took a look and find out that the connector to start button and horn. Behind the head light was not connected 100%
After press them together again it did start to work again.
But now my GP300 2018 always starts on the first press.
Before the bigger battery, new cables and FW I was forced to press two times to get it to start

Cur GasGas GP 300-18, Prev GasGas EC 300 Racing-13, GasGas EC 300-10, GasGas EC 300-07 GasGas EC 300-05, GasGas EC 250-02,Suzuki RM250-98,Suzuki RM250-88, Honda CR250-86, Yamaha YZ400-79, Beta CR125-81, SWM 50-77, Italjet 50-76 www.dufvenberg.com
/Larsa

Last edited by Larsa; 08-25-2018 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Im confused on where to mount the negative cable. Some have told me to run it from the negative terminal of the battery to the starter coil. others have ran a cable from the starter bracket to the starter coil, and a separate from negative terminal to earth. some have removed the original earth and some have kept it. What is the correct procedure recommended from GG?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:52 PM

One of my riding buddies bought his 300 on Friday and his starting problems began on Saturday. His bike will crank over really good like the starter and battery is working perfectly but the engine will not start or even try to start. If he gives it a half kick with the kick starter it's instantly running. He had to wait to pick his bike up because the dealer was waiting on a re-flashed ECU. I believe his problem is either in the relay or wiring if the bike has a separate circuit that powers the ECU during cranking. If there isn't a separate circuit then it would have to be an ECU problem when the voltage is low during cranking and not able to properly power the ignition. I could have easily traced it out for him if he would have got a manual with a wiring diagram but since he didn't get a manual of any kind it's going back to the dealer when they open on Tuesday.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

The manual with the wiring schematic is on the factory GasGas web page.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
Im confused on where to mount the negative cable. Some have told me to run it from the negative terminal of the battery to the starter coil. others have ran a cable from the starter bracket to the starter coil, and a separate from negative terminal to earth. some have removed the original earth and some have kept it. What is the correct procedure recommended from GG?
use a thick cable from the battery negative pole to the starter bracket. Make sure there is no paint on the bracket so that the teminal sits on bare metal.

That is what GG does on the 19's. As an alternative replace the OEM negative cable with a thicker one and install one cable between the starter bracket and the ignition coil ground point. Whatever version you prefer, use a thicker positive cable between battery and starter relay additionally.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrooster View Post
One of my riding buddies bought his 300 on Friday and his starting problems began on Saturday. His bike will crank over really good like the starter and battery is working perfectly but the engine will not start or even try to start. If he gives it a half kick with the kick starter it's instantly running. He had to wait to pick his bike up because the dealer was waiting on a re-flashed ECU. I believe his problem is either in the relay or wiring if the bike has a separate circuit that powers the ECU during cranking. If there isn't a separate circuit then it would have to be an ECU problem when the voltage is low during cranking and not able to properly power the ignition. I could have easily traced it out for him if he would have got a manual with a wiring diagram but since he didn't get a manual of any kind it's going back to the dealer when they open on Tuesday.

He should have received a USB thumb drive with the manuals and parts fische on it. Also the manuals are readily available on the GG website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
He should have received a USB thumb drive with the manuals and parts fische on it. Also the manuals are readily available on the GG website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they mailed him the thumb drive, he just didn't have it when I was there to help him.

He talked to his dealer and they direct shipped him another battery and ECU. The ECU didn't seem to change anything but the battery helped. The dealer had already updated the battery cables and installed a reflashed ECU before he bought the bike. He only has to make sure it cold starts and if so problem solved.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Exclamation 2018 EC 250 Electric Starter Issue Fixed

The leads from the battery to the chassis and starter solenoid are way too small to supply enough juice to the starter. The existing leads look to be 10 gauge wire. I didnt have any 8 gauge wire to replace the stock leads, so I created two additional leads out of 10 gauge and installed a second lead on top of each existing lead.

No more waiting for the bike to warm up to use E-start!

Starter spins significantly faster. I may never have to kick again!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 AM

I have updated cdi, positive cable, negative cable from battery to frame in the same spot as before but now with 8 gauge, and from starter bracket to starter relay. Also 210 CCA shorai battery. Still having issues. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Does the engine start if you push and quickly release the kill button when the starter is spinning?

This is something you can do on the KTM 2 strokes with external starter. This tricks the CDI into producing a bigger spark, if I remember correctly.

The KTM starters would progressively slow down due to friction build up in the bendix and crown wheel. It might be worth stripping, cleaning and lubing the drive train to eliminate that possibility.