Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Default Sachs vs. ?hlins

My Sachs fork on my 09 Ec 300 feels very stiff like many of you guys describe. I have someone selling an older ?hlins 48mm fork (not the ttx)
So instead of revalving I'm thinking to put in the ?hlins
Do you think this would be worth the swap?
Has anyone ridden both forks?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM

What makes you think the Ohlins valving is good for you? Worst fork I have ever ridden was a poorly valved Ohlins, seriously. Valving is just an adjustment like jetting that must be delt with to get the most from any bike. JMO.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Valid point Glenn. But I must say the nicest fork that I have ever ridden was a well valved Ohlins. Although, those were on a 2003 ec 250 and forks have since advanced. I would say my 2011 Sachs with new springs are pretty darn good with no valving adjustment. Best stock fork that I have owned for sure.

On another note, I found a place to buy 7mm shim kits. But I have to buy 100 of them. All I need is 99 other guys to go in with me. Any takers?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

I think I would just have the base valves modded for 6mm shims, then its easy. To be absolutely fair in judging one fork against another as far as ride quality, you would have to have them set up by the same tuner for the same bike. He didn't say what the Ohlins were from. If its a set of Cannondale Ohlins with stock valving and springs, I can't see any joy. Also, all Ohlins are not created equal as far as quality.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM

the fork is from an 08 Racing model and has been used for 6month. It's a shop that sells them and the price includes a setup to my needs. They're asking 1000Euros .
The problem is that on my Sachs fork the right inner tube got hit by a rock when I fell, has a dent and probably needs replacing. The coated tube alone is already 360 Euros. That's why I was considering changing the whole fork
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

OK then, thats a different story! I thought you were just trying to fix a valving issue.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
Valid point Glenn. But I must say the nicest fork that I have ever ridden was a well valved Ohlins. Although, those were on a 2003 ec 250 and forks have since advanced. I would say my 2011 Sachs with new springs are pretty darn good with no valving adjustment. Best stock fork that I have owned for sure.

On another note, I found a place to buy 7mm shim kits. But I have to buy 100 of them. All I need is 99 other guys to go in with me. Any takers?
Let me know which ones you need - I'll sell them in pairs
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 AM

How much would you want for a pair of Oehlins, and do they fit in the 2009 model without any mods??