Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Default Broken Engine mounts: 2011 EC300 :(

A couple weeks ago I noticed a gnarly vibration on the bike. After doing some investigation I noticed that the two engine mounts going from the head of the motor to the frame (right by the radiators) were snapped right at the bolts. So to cut down on the vibration I got two big washers and put them behind the bolts to clamp the engine mount to the frame. It worked great until two days ago the same engine mounts end up snapping again, but on the side where they attach to the actual motor this time. So now I have two engine mounts broken on both sides....

Has anyone had similar problems? The mounts are made of aluminum so it was not a surprise to see that they had both broken.

I guess my question would to you guys would be should I fabricate new mounts out of a better material, or just order new ones?

I will upload pics to show exactly what I am talking about whenever I get the chance.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I would suggest loosening each engine mount bolt before you fab anything up to replace the broken mounts. It could be a matter of uneven torque/installation of the other bolts, or even a misalignment of mount holes on the rest of the frame. Loosen the swingarm bolt too, just to let the engine float. Then fab something up to replace the mounts.

Would love to see pictures as I have an '11, and if there is something I can do to prevent an occurrence.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'd like to remove the head braces from my 2010 model (same frame) and see what that does for vibration. The 2012+ models don't use them and are noticably less vibey.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
I would suggest loosening each engine mount bolt before you fab anything up to replace the broken mounts. It could be a matter of uneven torque/installation of the other bolts, or even a misalignment of mount holes on the rest of the frame. Loosen the swingarm bolt too, just to let the engine float. Then fab something up to replace the mounts.

Would love to see pictures as I have an '11, and if there is something I can do to prevent an occurrence.
+1 on this....I would bet the engine is in slight (or bigger) twist OR one or more of the other mounts are loose. That will put more load on the aluminum stays and they become the weak point. I had an '04 that I bought with a broken stay- replaced it with an OEM one, did the above procedure and it is still working to this day.....over a year. Nothing wrong with the OEM part IMO Yet to have an issue with my '10
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwickwick View Post
A couple weeks ago I noticed a gnarly vibration on the bike. After doing some investigation I noticed that the two engine mounts going from the head of the motor to the frame (right by the radiators) were snapped right at the bolts. So to cut down on the vibration I got two big washers and put them behind the bolts to clamp the engine mount to the frame. It worked great until two days ago the same engine mounts end up snapping again, but on the side where they attach to the actual motor this time. So now I have two engine mounts broken on both sides....

Has anyone had similar problems? The mounts are made of aluminum so it was not a surprise to see that they had both broken.

I guess my question would to you guys would be should I fabricate new mounts out of a better material, or just order new ones?

I will upload pics to show exactly what I am talking about whenever I get the chance.
I have nothing to add to this thread, other than I like your avatar? Is that an LVS(R)???
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM

That's an LHS. (Load handling system)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Check to be sure you have enough free play in your chain. I've seen this break the engine mounts on KTM heads before.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwickwick View Post
That's an LHS. (Load handling system)

That must be the Army version of the USMC LVS self-loader variant (MK48/18A1)

Cool...thanks

If your serving, thanks for your service
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlock View Post
Check to be sure you have enough free play in your chain. I've seen this break the engine mounts on KTM heads before.
It's the mount on the front of the motor

Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
That must be the Army version of the USMC LVS self-loader variant (MK48/18A1)

Cool...thanks

If your serving, thanks for your service
No problemo! And the Marines use the PLS, which is the same thing with another axle in the back