Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM

Default My '11 XC 300-E maiden voyage initial impressions.

I finally got to ride the new GG today! Mother Nature cooperated in Chester, SC and we loaded up the bikes and rode at TNT Motorsports for 5 hours. 60 degrees and partly cloudy skies. Couldn't have been better for a southern Winter ride!

I'll cut to the chase and boil my first impression down to one statement: "Wow, this is exactly what I remembered about riding my buddy's '08 300!"

Now, what does that mean?...
  • The best handling feel of any woods bike I've ever ridden.
  • VERY predictable handling characteristics... confidence inspiring... bike handles like it has a direct wire into your brain.
  • Bike feels much lighter than it is.

New good stuff I've noticed on the '11 model:
  • Best front brakes I've ever ridden. Bar none. No grab, smooth engagement, predictable progression, light pull. I hardly used the rear brakes.
  • Best clutch I've ever ridden. Bar none. Buttery smooth, light pull, perfect engagement. I've honestly never felt a better clutch.
  • E-start worked flawlessly. Very nice feature for old fat guys like me. And yes, it started in one or two kicks with the young man lever!

I'll withhold most jetting comments for a later post since I was riding in "break-in" mode with a 40:1 mixture. However, I'm 90% sure the stock needle will be replaced. I'm also "working through" a blubbery off-idle situation that is pretty annoying. So far, I'm down one pilot from stock and 1 clip leaner on the needle... with slight improvement. Stay tuned.

One definite con... the rear brake lever position needs work. Too high in relation to the footpeg. It just ain't where your brain thinks it should be. Thankfully the front brake works so well!

And one absolutely inexcusable blunder... the rear tire is absolutely, without a doubt, the biggest POS abomination I've ever seen on a new bike! At first, I thought it was me. But after the third ride, through various terrains ranging from rocks to roots to ruts to NC clay mud... this tire simply refused to bite into anything. Given the overall outstanding handling characteristics of this bike, I can't wait to feel what it's like with a real rear tire. Spain must be getting some major discounts from Metzeler.

Suspension worked well with stock settings. But it needs to be broken-in to give a fair assessment. Again, you have to remember I'm an old fat guy who will never ride this bike close to its capability.

Like I said, stay tuned. This was just a shakedown cruise. The bike needs to be broken-in to give a 100% fair assessment. I also plan to compare the XC to my '09 Husky WR 300.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

So tomorrow morning when you wake up and wonder why your face hurts so much... well it cuz you were smiling in your sleep all night.

Congrats. On your new ride.

I cut about a 1/4" off the back brake rod so it would lower the pedal.

I found standing it was even worse. Now all you have to do is post up some pictures.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 12-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Hey Krieg I've been waiting for your ride report and it sounds about like I thought it would go. I thought you would like the handling, light weight feeling, and the awesome clutch. You have me re-thinking the estart option. As suggested just cut a little off the rear brake bolt and it will feel a lot better I was hoping the stock rear tire would be better than the 2010 but it sounds like it's still a miss. Once the engine is broken in and you sort the jetting I think you gonna love the smooth broad power the 300 lays down. Well I look forward to your Husky vs GasGas ride report. Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM

Well done Krieg ... I do believe you've been converted. Now just pass the message on to Geno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
I finally got to ride the new GG today! Mother Nature cooperated in Chester, SC and we loaded up the bikes and rode at TNT Motorsports for 5 hours. 60 degrees and partly cloudy skies. Couldn't have been better for a southern Winter ride!

I'll cut to the chase and boil my first impression down to one statement: "Wow, this is exactly what I remembered about riding my buddy's '08 300!"

• VERY predictable handling characteristics... confidence inspiring... bike handles like it has a direct wire into your brain.

• Best front brakes I've ever ridden. Bar none. No grab, smooth engagement, predictable progression, light pull. I hardly used the rear brakes.
  • Best clutch I've ever ridden. Bar none. Buttery smooth, light pull, perfect engagement. I've honestly never felt a better clutch.
  • E-start worked flawlessly. Very nice feature for old fat guys like me. And yes, it started in one or two kicks with the young man lever!

Yep!

And one absolutely inexcusable blunder... the rear tire is absolutely, without a doubt, the biggest POS abomination I've ever seen on a new bike! At first, I thought it was me. But after the third ride, through various terrains ranging from rocks to roots to ruts to NC clay mud... this tire simply refused to bite into anything. Given the overall outstanding handling characteristics of this bike, I can't wait to feel what it's like with a real rear tire. Spain must be getting some major discounts from Metzeler.

FIM/DOT tires designed to keep those sexy black rims off the ground, but street legal in most states

Like I said, stay tuned. This was just a shakedown cruise. The bike needs to be broken-in to give a 100% fair assessment. I also plan to compare the XC to my '09 Husky WR 300.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I'll withhold most jetting comments for a later post since I was riding in "break-in" mode with a 40:1 mixture. However, I'm 90% sure the stock needle will be replaced. I'm also "working through" a blubbery off-idle situation that is pretty annoying. So far, I'm down one pilot from stock and 1 clip leaner on the needle... with slight improvement. Stay tuned.

One definite con... the rear brake lever position needs work. Too high in relation to the footpeg. It just ain't where your brain thinks it should be. Thankfully the front brake works so well!

Suspension worked well with stock settings. But it needs to be broken-in to give a fair assessment. Again, you have to remember I'm an old fat guy who will never ride this bike close to its capability.

Good report...

I was able to cut about 5mm off the threads of the brake pushrod without removing it from the bike..with a cut off wheel..took 5 min I like to be able to reach for the rear brake....instead of having it under your toe all the time kinda smells funny after a while ?

Mine jetting was ok at 2000ft 70 F....but sucked at low temps High alt.....I did exactlly the same as you with jetting....yes the low end burble is annoying ......Did you get a different CHN needle in "the kit"

CCK (sudco) or N3EG N3CH (dealer)other options
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F collins View Post
Good report...

I was able to cut about 5mm off the threads of the brake pushrod without removing it from the bike..with a cut off wheel..took 5 min I like to be able to reach for the rear brake....instead of having it under your toe all the time kinda smells funny after a while ?

Mine jetting was ok at 2000ft 70 F....but sucked at low temps High alt.....I did exactlly the same as you with jetting....yes the low end burble is annoying ......Did you get a different CHN needle in "the kit"

CCK (sudco) or N3EG N3CH (dealer)other options
I didn't get two needles I may try a JD kit, although I haven't seen a whole lot of reports about JD's GG kits.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't get two needles I may try a JD kit, although I haven't seen a whole lot of reports about JD's GG kits.
The CHN comes with the kit......the other two I listed are some "known to be good ones" from the jetting thread

I have them but my bikes are in the basement for winter....havent had a chance to try them yet

curious about the JD kit too...
Old 01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'd tell ya which one I used in my 300 from the JD kit...but my brain is just a little fuzzy this morning. errr I mean afternoon...whatever.

I think it was the red needle 3rd clip and I left the main alone.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy F collins View Post
The CHN comes with the kit......the other two I listed are some "known to be good ones" from the jetting thread

I have them but my bikes are in the basement for winter....havent had a chance to try them yet

curious about the JD kit too...
I just pulled the trigger on ordering the JD kit. Stay tuned!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 AM

glad you liked the bike,let us know how the jet kit works out for you