Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 AM

Default 2011 6 Days 300 Initial ride

Some background info: I'm a 50 year old (165 lb, 5' 9") off road rider that occasionally races B class in Northern California cross country events. I've ridden KTMs since 1999 and most recently a 2007 KTM 300 XCW and a 2008 KTM 450 EXCR. I bought a 2011 Gas Gas 300 Six Days because I wanted to try a bike with different handling, preferably more like a Japanese bike. I read some of the reviews on this forum and thought I would be getting a more agile version of my KTM 300 with a smoother engine. Here's what I found during my first ride at Hollister Hills in Hollister, CA.

Even before my ride I did the following mod's to the bike:
1) Enduro Engineering Kickstand auto-retraction override
2) BPR plastic block chain slider
3) Lowered rear brake pedal by cutting down brake adjustment bolt.
4) Cycra hand guards
5) Trail Tech Vector ride computer
6) Installed normal choke knob and removed choke lever and cable
7) Safety wire hand grips

The dealer had re-jetted the bike and set the needle to maximum lean adjustment based on advice from the distributor (I think). During the initial test ride the bike felt "peaky" and would not transition smoothly into the power band. I determined that the mid-range was set too lean and when the needle clip was moved to the middle position the engine performed better with a smoother power delivery. Now the engine rev's quickly and produces very good power. I wouldn't call this engine "smooth" compared to my KTM. There is a noticeable "hit" when you're on the pipe and the motor rev's quickly, more like an MX bike. I like this type of motor a lot and I never found myself wanting or needing more power. There is a slight vibration buzz in the handlebars but overall the engine feels tight. I had no trouble kick starting the engine (my bike is a 6 Days version, so no E-start).

Conditions were wet and even with the stock enduro tires the bike felt glued to the trail in the sandy and muddy areas. The suspension initially felt a little stiff but after some miles on the bike I realized it isn't too harsh on the small stuff and can absorb the big jumps easily. On small bumps the bike just skips across them in perfect control if you stay on the gas even a little bit. The more aggressively you ride the better the suspension feels. If you sit down a lot the suspension will feel too stiff, but there really isn't a good suspension set up on any bike for guys who prefer to sit down (IMO).

The steering is quick and the front end stays planted and doesn't push through the turns like my KTM. A steering damper will help for high speed straights, but I didn't feel it was necessary during this first ride at Hollister. Of course, the Gas Gas is lighter than my KTM 450, but it also feels 10 times more agile. It is certainly less fatiguing to ride. I put 35 miles on it this first day and it was the most fun I've had on a bike in many years.

When I bought the Gas Gas 300 I thought it would have a very linear power delivery and good low speed handling, basically a better trail bike than a KTM. What the bike seems to be is more like a motocross bike that is tuned to be the ultimate trail bike and likes to be ridden aggressively, but it is still very manageable when ridden poorly. This is not what I expected, but I found that I like this more than what I originally had hoped the Gas Gas would be. Of course, these are only my opinions and I'm not a professional rider. I'm curious if others out there might agree with me that the 2011 Gas Gas 300 is really a somewhat fast revving race bike with a noticeable power band and a suspension that likes aggressive riding. It isn't necessarily a sedate, smooth power delivery, trail bike, it's more like an MX bike tuned for the woods. Any thoughts?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG_15.jpg (116.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg GG_16.jpg (125.4 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by mlbco; 03-29-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:26 AM

Great write up, and welcome to the clan!

Based on my time on a 300 last year I would say your observations regarding the power characteristics are spot-on. If you want smoooooth, shift up a gear or two and lug it (or add a slow throttle cam) and switch to the rain mode on the ignition map switch. If you want barky and fast, keep it in 'sun mode' and twist the throttle.

Interesting observation on the tires - they seemed to work for you where other riders in other parts of the country hate them. Maybe we could work out a swapping program

Glad you like the bike, even though (or maybe because) it isn't what you thought it would be.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM

You can also jet the bike different and it will be very smooth.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

I think you find the engine characteristics can be changed a bit by varying the jetting, but from your description my EC300 Euro (Limited Run of race ready delivered to Aus 2010) sounds very similar. Everything from the mid range punch to teh suspension working better the harder you push it.

As stated, the wet curve on the ignition takes the snap right out of the mid range.

One of these months I'll do a swapsy with a ktm to compare.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM

As GMP said, jetting takes care of that. My 300 is super smooth and rev's effortlessly. My KTM 300 is smooth too but the GG rev's a lot better and produces the power differently. I actually prefer it over my KTM 300, even though I truely love my KTM. I really can't feel a significant hit on my GG, which I don't want in a 300. Try different jetting specs, mainly needles, and see what happens.

For me, I found the suspension worked OK at medium speed but when I raced it, it was not up to par. I have had to spend a lot of time working the forks over and they are now pretty decent. However, my pistons were not drilled out correctly and therefore the fluid did not flow correctly. If you look in the suspension forum you will see that several have mentioned the fork issues.

Last edited by BrentMartell; 04-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
As GMP said, jetting takes care of that. My 300 is super smooth and rev's effortlessly. My KTM 300 is smooth too but the GG rev's a lot better and produces the power differently. I actually prefer it over my KTM 300, even though I truely love my KTM. I really can't feel a significant hit on my GG, which I don't want in a 300. Try different jetting specs, mainly needles, and see what happens.

For me, I found the suspension just flat sucked. It worked OK at medium speed but when I raced it, it was horrible. I have had to spend a lot of time working the forks over and they are now pretty decent. However, my pistons were not drilled out correctly and therefore the fluid did not flow correctly. If you look in the suspension forum you will see that several have mentioned the fork issues.
I believe the SixDays may run different valving specs in their forks. I know the Sachs units on my 2010 are valved differently to the Base model EC300, The SixDays, and the Race models. Mine have worked wonderfully over a variety of terrain and keep getting better the more I fine tune the clickers.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Nice write up.

If I could ask what mix ratio are you running? I cannot run mine on anything but the top clip with the stock needle (N1EF), and that is with 50:1. The dealer had set it at the #2 clip position and it was way too rich in the mid. I'm not convinced the top clip is as good as it can be and have some other needles to test out soon.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Very good write up. My 2010 motor felt as you described your's until I changed to the CCK needle. Now it has no hit (that I can feel), just smooth broad power and lots of it. Your tires and suspension are also different than mine so I can't compare them with yours other than the tires for the 2010 not so good. I finally got a chance to ride a KTM 300 a while back (2009) and I agree the GG easily out handled/turned that bike. Glad you are liking your GasGas and in my short time with mine it only gets better after the break in. Mrkartoom get a CCK needle and try jetting with that; worked like a champ for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Very good write up. My 2010 motor felt as you described your's until I changed to the CCK needle. Now it has no hit (that I can feel), just smooth broad power and lots of it. Your tires and suspension are also different than mine so I can't compare them with yours other than the tires for the 2010 not so good. I finally got a chance to ride a KTM 300 a while back (2009) and I agree the GG easily out handled/turned that bike. Glad you are liking your GasGas and in my short time with mine it only gets better after the break in. Mrkartoom get a CCK needle and try jetting with that; worked like a champ for me.
On my wish list. Where did you get yours? My KTM/Yamaha/. . . guy could not cross-reference it.

edit: just ordered one from GoFasters . . .back to topic
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 PM

I just rode mine for the first time today (11 EC300) and the jetting didn't seem to be too bad. A little on the rich side but ran fairly clean throught the RPM range. I'm not that impressed with the suspension so far, I'm a A level 215lb rider and I didn't use the bottom 3" of stroke on the forks. Keeping in mind that it is new suspension and will break in with time. Bike handles quite well, turns excellent and the motor is thrilling. This thing had all kinds of off idle torque. Jetting is still stock, I've ordered a CCK needle to try out and see if I can clean it up a little. Sure likes the gas though.