Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Site Sponsor

Exclamation Contact you US Congressperson / US Senator ASAP! (before 12/5/08)

AMA fights possible 100 percent tariffs on certain European motorcycles

Dec. 5, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today that it has written to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative opposing a plan that could double the cost of some European motorcycles imported into the United States.

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

"There is no logical link between European motorcycles and the dispute over beef," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, in his comments submitted to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. "Imposing these stiff tariffs on motorcycles would do nothing to resolve the trade dispute, but would punish American buyers of European motorcycles."

The AMA's comments make a strong argument that motorcycles have no business being used as a lever in a dispute over beef.

"Trade disputes residing concretely within the boundaries of the agricultural industry should not be resolved with trade sanctions levied against non-agricultural products," Moreland said. "A 100 percent ad valorem, or higher, tariff on these motorcycles will cause serious and potentially irreversible harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the vehicles. Additionally, citizens will be denied access to certain models of competition and recreation motorcycles that contribute to the lifestyle and well-being of millions of American families."

The United States wants to impose $116.8 million in import duties to equal the amount of money it claims the U.S. beef industry loses each year because of the ban. The WTO has agreed on that amount.

Interested parties have until Dec. 8 to comment on which European goods should be subject to the 100 percent tariff in the dispute. It is unknown when U.S. officials will make a final decision.

-30-

Hoepfully some of us can reach our US Congressperson and US Senators before Monday!!!

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Comments can be made directly here

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...000064807ce40c

Would have been nice to know about this sooner.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the link - it only took a few minutes - I encourage everyone to go to the website above and post comments. You might want to take the time to mention specific businesses that will be severely impacted (or killed) by this tariff.

jeff

FYI - here are my comments :
----------------------------------

I saw a press release from the american motorcyclist association that the
united states is considering a 100% tariff on two classes of motorcycles. I know of several brands of motorcycles where this tariff would essentially stop all sales of these motorcycles in the U.S., (husqvarna,gasgas,ktm,husaberg, etc.). This would obviously have very negative financial impact on many U.S. based motorcycle dealers; It would also impact vendors who supply "aftermarket parts" for these motorcycles - nearly all of these U.S. based companies would be forced to close their doors.

In this bleak economic environment - many motorcycle dealers and motorcycle vendors in this market area are already struggling. If this rule is put into effect, these businesses will close and the owners and workers will be added to the ranks of the unemployed.

Please do not do this!

jeff dunham
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link. I just made my submission. Hope it wasn't too late.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just saw this yesterday and shot off a message.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 AM

I just found out about this today. My Congressman has rec'd a letter from me.