Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm on my second pair of SG-10's. Put them on and ride. Comffy out of the box. They also have the widest toe box if you have wide feet like me. They are the only boot that fit me for that reason. Soles seem to last well too.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM

I have the Oxtar TCX Pro, Alpinestar Tech 8, Sidi Crossfire TA and Sidi Crossfire SRS.

The Crossfire TA has the most durable sole by far. The Crossfire SRS is so easy to replace the sole with just a screw driver. The Oxtar soles wear pretty quickly and the Tech 8 soles wear like a cheap eraser.

The Crossfire provides much better foot and ankle protection. I have taken big hits with the Crossfire that at most only resulted in moderate discomfort. The same hits with the Tech 8 and Oxtar TCX were much more painful.

Tech 8's and Oxtars leak like a sieve. The Crossfire’s keep my feet dry even when wading around in 6 - 8 inch deep water for 20 minutes.

The Tech 8 is a bit more comfortable. However, they get a serious inside ankle bulge.
The Sidi comfort is good and they hold their shape very well.
The Oxtars are comfortable if you have a narrow foot.

The toe box on the Crossfire is notably smaller than the Tech 8 making it easier to shift. The Oxtar is somewhere in between.

The biggest downside to the Sidi is the ankle pivot retainer clips break from time to time so have spares on hand.

Based on my experience, Crossfire’s are light years ahead of Tech 8's and notably better than the Oxtars.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I love my SG12s. They fit around knee braces without any issues.

Pivot Pegz will save your boot soles.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thanks for the great write up Erik K.

I have experience with Tech 8's and Gearne SG 10's over the last couple of years and I agree with Eric. The Tech 8's leak and the sole only lasts for a few rides, literally. I can wear through the left sole insert in less than 400 miles of riding. I sold those boots on Ebay after replacing the soles too many times.

The Gearne boot is much better. It doesn't leak, it fits good, and the sole is not made of cheddar cheese. I also have a wide foot, and the booty thing was stupid for me in the Tech 8.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Site Sponsor

i forgot to mention the tech 10's leak like a sieve too... i would not get them again, but i'm happy that i got them dirt cheap - i'd be really disappointed if i paid retail for them..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM

SG-10's I just got mine yesterday put them on and made one trip around the house and they are more comfy then my tech 6's I've been wearing for 5 yrs.They are awsome . Look to good to get dirty.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Excellent choice. I agree, they were super comfy right out of the box, and great support. They should last U a long time. Also, the Gaerne's have a capacity to fit large calves, which alot of boots don't have.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

+1 on the SG10's I have had mine for 4 yrs and all i need to do is replace the sole (can be ordered seperately).
Only down side is that if you ride with in-boot pants you can end up hooking the boot on the foot peg. This does not happen with the SG12's apparently
Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the great replies on the boots. I settled on a pair of TCX, fit was great, the sole looks very good, and the price was right. I did manage to get a ride in with the new boots and fit like a glove. All little stiff at first, but by the end of the day, everything was great.

Thanks for the input!

Rick
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM

sorry to steal the post, but it seemed overkill to start a new one. do any of you know where i can get a new set of forma raptor buckles? i bought a pair off my gfs dad, they didnt fit his calves so he never wore them. got them for 75 bucks, and one of the straps broke on the boot. no big deal, its the bottom most buckle, but i would still like to have a replacement kit. anybody ever have a set? know how they hold up?