Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default P3carbon fiber pipe guard Gas Gas stock pipe 08-11

Installed the P3 carbon fiber pipe guard on my 2011's stock Gas Gas pipe today.

I had the P3 on my 2008's FMF Gnarly and the fit was excellent. I found this brand is the most durable carbon fiber pipe guard going so I had no problem re ordering for my 2011.

The first thing I notice about this version for the stock Gas Gas pipe 2008-2011 after installing, its not a perfect fit but not horrible either. Some of the problem is due to the metal ridge that sticks up off of the stock pipe itself where it was pieced together in the factory. This doesn't allow the pipe guard to sit as close to flush as it would if that wasn't there. However the end of the guard nearest the head does stick out a bit and is not related with the metal ridge impeding it from being flush to the pipe.

That being said this is still is a great product and I believe it to be the toughest Carbon fiber pipe guard out there.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

That my friend is the best guard out there right now. Look'n good.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Very nice Roscoe. Next bike I think I'll try something different. I like the Hyde combo design and protection but hate the R&R. I'm thinking of a Scorpion or Utah aluminum plate, and a Flatland aluminum pipe guard. Now, add some aluminum braces to tie the two together in several places for rigidity. Maybe weld one side and bolt the other for modularity. So it will end up something like a two piece aluminum Hyde with gaps the mud can fall through.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed there is very little pipe support. I have already ripped both my silent blocks and have a bolt going though both of them from hitting logs and big rocks. It would be nice to have the pipe guard and skid plate some how tied together to prevent this.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 01-30-2011, 12:50 AM

Ya Glenn thats a good idea. Who ever comes up with a aluminum combo like the Hyde will get my attention and probably my money.

Certainly if they can design it so the vibes don't transmit through to the chassis and hitting the section that ties the two together don't cause the pipe to kink.While still being able for the mud to fall out. It would probably need some type of high temp flexible yet firm material to mate up to the pipe under the aluminum to help with that and only the strongest grade of aluminum for rigidy.

I have a real bad issue of using the exhaust as a log planer so I hope someone comes out with the ultimate combo.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 AM

Mine fit about the same as yours. I've owned several P3's and they are by far the best as far as protecting the pipe. Nice and thick and covers a lot more of the pipe than some other brands.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

I have the p-3 on my berg and it has held up well. I must agree that it is the toughest CF I have seen thus far. Just make sure you use red lock tite on any screws.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Hmm

I just installed mine last week-I noticed in the pics u did not have a lot of left over strap-were u able to cut the end of the strap?

The clamp that came with my bike seems excessively long
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM

I tighten the guard down all the way tight.
Cut the straps with some sheet metal dikes so it looks as if they are about a quarter to half inch longer than the edge of the carbon fiber, still long enough to tuck under the carbon fiber.

Untighten the straps then slowly while tightening back down, tuck the strap under the carbon fiber lip so it lays flat on the tightened down strap.

Then as Boomhauer suggested I add Red lock tight to the front and back of the screw portion of the clamp to actually lock the screw down. Wipe away excess. Its not making it to the threads much but if you know red lock tight is super strong and will lock the screw in place under the type of vibration and abuse this part will go through.

Roscoe

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Fitment question

Could you have a look at your P3 and tell me if it hangs down below the pipe? From the photos it looks as though the guard does not go over the bottom pipe seam. I'm talking about the lowest part of the pipe that would touch on a log crossing. I would guess that the edge of the guard might be 1/4" below the seam at most.