Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:26 AM

Default Bike is too tall! Any suggestions

I'm picking up a used 2018 300 gasser which I am told is about 1.5 inches taller than my 2011 bike so my plan is to lower it 1-1.5 inches on both ends. Please give me info on where to have this done. Thanks

Old 12-20-2019, 01:29 AM

How tall are you brother?
Old 12-20-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
I'm picking up a used 2018 300 gasser which I am told is about 1.5 inches taller than my 2011 bike so my plan is to lower it 1-1.5 inches on both ends. Please give me info on where to have this done. Thanks
Zetaracing has a lowering link kit for both ends of about 3cm.
bought them myself but still do not know if I should use them or not.
Maybe on the first fork oil change cause I m still low on hours
Old 12-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Seat concepts has a low seat option that works well.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

If you do the lowering links option you need to drop the front end a corresponding amount or the front end will push badly in corners. You can do this by raising the forks in the triple clamps or by using internal travel limiting spacers. Your handle bar height will limit how far you can raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps.

I am not sure what size tire is on your bike now, but you may be able to lower the bike with shorter tires. If you can lower it enough with a seat mod and tire change you can keep the suspension at full length.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:02 PM

I don't race and I don't ride on mx tracks so losing an inch of travel at each end is no big deal - it would still have twice as much travel as dirtbikes had 50 years ago when I started riding. I will add thicker seat foam since I ride sitting most of the time. I will get the front fork lowered internally. I'm thinking the same for the rear since I've never liked my results with longer linkage rods. Any suggestions on where to get the suspension work done?
Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

I sit a lot too.
The low SeatConcepts foam is just the right density.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Has anyone worked out where the extra height comes from in comparison? I'm stuck in a timewarp with my 07. That said with a 17 carb, SSS forks etc I love it to bits. But it is getting older.

I rode a mates 15 , we had added a bit more preload that time before i rode it. It was a short ride, i almost fell off trying to dab and not really making contact till it was a bit far over. Embarrassing.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 12-22-2019, 02:02 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
I don't race and I don't ride on mx tracks so losing an inch of travel at each end is no big deal - it would still have twice as much travel as dirtbikes had 50 years ago when I started riding. I will add thicker seat foam since I ride sitting most of the time. I will get the front fork lowered internally. I'm thinking the same for the rear since I've never liked my results with longer linkage rods. Any suggestions on where to get the suspension work done?
from talking to suspension guys i believe this is the best option (unless you looking to change the handling, maybe for drag racing)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
https://norwestsuspension.com/03-crf450r-lowered

Terry at Norwest suspension does suspension lowering. I did some work on my 2002 300, and he was able to provide parts for the Ohlins and WP forks on my bike. I did springs (becoming heavier), seals, bushing on both fork and shock. He was great.