Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Gas Gas EC300 2001 Supermoto maybe

would like to convert m 01 ec300 into a super moto does any one know what wheels fit to create this can make own caliper mount ect just need wheels or mounts if you can get them

Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Do you intend this to be a permanent conversion?
If so, use your old wheel hubs and buy new 17"
SuperMoto rims and spoke set.
In my case. I wanted to be able to convert the
bike back to Enduro. So I located a set of OEM
AJP wheel hubs and had them laced to the new
rims and spokes. So now I have both options.
Swap the wheels and remove the SuperMoto caliper
adapter bracket to go back to Enduro.
I'll post some pictures in a couple weeks when I get
the tires mounted and some details finalized.
Good luck with your conversion. I think you are
going to like how it rides.
Jeff, So. Cal.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:13 PM

I used DRZ and KTM wheels. Also, there is a post on this site indicating that GG specs were sent to RAD in Utah and they will provide new wheels now.

Almost forgot.
My Talon sprockets came in today and QTM included a flier indicating they provide Talon hubs with Excel wheels for the GasGas.

www.QTMI.com

Tony
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Doh! Now you tell me. QTM is practically in my back yard.
I spent a small $$$ fortune getting my GG SuperMotard wheels
set up. Not to mention all the driving around. Dealing with
everybody, etc..etc..
Last time I talked to the folks @ QTM was at a SuperMoto National
here in So. Cal. and they told me they did not have anything available
for my GasGas. This was a couple years ago though. Oh well. I get
the satisfaction of figuring it all out by myself. Just like Tony did.
I assume they can fit the oversize, 320mm rotor and caliper adapter
bracket to the different forks that come on GasGas? Ohlins, Marzocchi,
Sachs, WP..... There'in may lie the problem. They did not know what
bracket could work with my Marzocchi forks to the Brembo Caliper.
Cheers, Jeff
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
I used DRZ and KTM wheels. Also, there is a post on this site indicating that GG specs were sent to RAD in Utah and they will provide new wheels now.

Almost forgot.
My Talon sprockets came in today and QTM included a flier indicating they provide Talon hubs with Excel wheels for the GasGas.

www.QTMI.com

Tony
When you say you used DRZ and KTM wheels, did you have to use one for the front, and the other for the back, as in different manufacturers?

I've been thinking of doing a motard conversion on the 200 when I can get my motorcycle licence

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Bearman.

My GG has the 25mm Shiver front forks so the only wheels that would be avail for the 25 would be the KTM or the Husky.

I had 2 reasons for using the DRZ rear. But first, before I started all of this I had a DRZsm. So, before even beginning the project, I thought I would see if I could fit the DRZ wheel to the GasGas. I did get it to fit so I continued with the project.

The DRZ rear will allow for a 36t rear sprocket. The other reason was that I had bought online 17" LC4 front and rear wheels. The rear wheel with its cush drive was put on my DRZ. It also would have fit the GG, but with its 5" wheel it would not have been as good a fit as the DRZ wheel was.

The DRZ sm with the cush hub and its heavier weight makes for a perfect long distance bike.

The rear axle of the GG is a 20mm axle and so are most other bikes so fitting the rear is more a matter of just finding something with similar sprocket to rotor distances.

Tony
Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM

25mm forks? That seems very thin?

Thanks for the info, its a huge help for my future project

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Bearman.

Sorry for the confusion regarding my comment about being 25mm. After spending as much time as I did on the parts sourcing for the conversion, I just began to think of the forks and wheels in terms of axle size. As far as wheels go the important thing would be the bottom leg of the forks and what size axle they require. Of course my shivers are 45mm like the rest of them and they take a 25 mm axle. The KTM takes a 26mm axle. The Husky a 25. Most other bikes take a 20mm axle. The few remaining use a 17mm axle. The GG also uses the Ohlin forks and for some reason I thought they might be 20mm(again,axle size). If they are than the conversion using those forks might be easier because of the greater choice of fitable wheels and the ability to re-bearing any of the larger sizes to 20mm.

Tony
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 AM

So you reckon the Husky wheel would work in the front, and a DRZ wheel in the back with some spacer mods? Haven't had any luck googling for GasGas specific wheels yet, but if I find some, I'll use them for peace of mind

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Bearman.

I have not tried the Husky wheel, but my assumption would be that they would fit with minimum effort. Most of the late model Huskys come with the 25mm bearings, so just make sure that's what you get. As I had mentioned previously, the late model KTM hub is bored to 47mm and could take 17 20 25 and 30mm id bearings. To use the KTM hub you would have to remove the stock 30mm bearings and replace them with 25mm bearings. New bearings cost me $4 each. You would also have to make a new inner bearing spacer with an id just slightly larger than 25mm. It needs to be the same length as the spacer it replaces. The Honda CRF uses a 25mm axle on it's rear wheel so you could cut down the rear Honda inner spacer to the proper size and it might be long enough to also provide the outer spacers. I just bought a length of alum tubing and cut it down to make the inner as well as the outer spacers. Other than the hub size, the biggest advantage to using the KTM hub was the easy availability of 320mm rotors from just about any catalog.

Like I said, I used the DRZ sm wheel because I had one. The important things regarding the use of a hub other than a GG hub is that it takes a 20mm axle and the sprocket to rotor spacing is close. I would not advise the use of the KTM 5" hub on a GG. There just isn't enough room.

If you have any further questions,
feel free to ask.

Tony