Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 AM

Girlfriend & I are going to give it a go. Started today....already hungry at 9AM.....Didn't realize how much I snacked until this :-)

2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM

You are allowed to "snack" ?if? you are hungry (and not just bored or eating out of habit).

When you do "snack" make it a mini meal -- fat, veggies (carbs), and protein. 200 to 300 calories or so.

After a while when you get rid of grains and legumes, you will find yourself snacking less because good fats and protein are more satisfying and more sustaining.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

I would ease into it little by little replacing and cutting out the foods that are engineered /man made. Jumping right into this change in eating habits might not be sustainable right away by everyone. I had to ease my wife into, and now after three weeks she is finding it easier to eat natural foods. And being more creative with the foods we disliked before we are now starting to eat.

Key to remember at least for myself that this is NOT a diet just a way of eating better. And looking at food a different way.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM

True. I went full-paleo in one day. I went straight from the dirt bike meeting to the grocery store to stock up.

As I went through the first weeks I was amazed (nearly stymied) at the vast numbers of things displayed on the grocery shelves that would no longer be a part of my diet. Obvious and not so.

It takes a while to figure out what to eat when you have abandoned so much. Eating at home was one thing. Now I had to figure out what to take to work for lunch (Big-Ass Salad, meat, a little fruit). Which restaurants had paleo options (a few). Which salad dressings did not contain soy bean oil (almost none).

And what do I take on the trail during rides or the pits during races?

Eventually you'll sort it out.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Google "protein per day" and you will find estimates of .5 to .7 grams of protein per kilo of body weight. That's just several ounces of meat per day.

16 oz of top sirloin = 843 calories which includes protein and fat. Another 700 calories in veggies and starch and you are good for the day.
Sorry but first off if you are counting calories you need to be read some info from Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson and many others.
I'm sure it's working for you but I hope the weight you are losing is not muscle.
If you want to talk calories, 1500 is way too low.
Please do more research. You will have much better results.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminhammer View Post
Sorry but first off if you are counting calories you need to be read some info from Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson and many others.
I'm sure it's working for you but I hope the weight you are losing is not muscle.
If you want to talk calories, 1500 is way too low.
Please do more research. You will have much better results.
Oh' man here we go!

I've read some of the research papers Rick has written.......not me who's gonna go toe-to-toe with him. Just sayin?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

It can all get very scientific about what to eat, how to gain mass, how to cut weight and lean up while minimizing muscle loss. Go jump on a body building forum and have a look. Body building is too ego centric and too much of a full time job for me to have any interest in it.

The maths is simple though. If you want to lose weight its as simple as calories in being less than calories burnt. The opposite is true if you want to gain weight. Muscle is built by using them and causing them to react and adapt to being used.

I don't think that is the point of this thread though. This isn't so much about losing weight, retaining muscle, buffing up etc, but more about improving health and lifestyle, which is exactly what I aim to achieve in life. Its about applying some common sense to eating. Knowing what you can eat a lot of, and what to have in moderation. While I'd never go full paleo as I love to have breads, pastas, noodles, rices, etc, they are never the bulk element of a meal. I also shy away from most processed/premade meals and will cook from scratch where possible. A typical meal includes some meat (fish, chicken, beef, pork or lamb). A large side of salad or veg (usually just dressed with some olive oil and salt/vingearette - home made), and then depending on what it is it may have some carbs. Say a stirfry is all veg, some meat and a small amount of rice or noodles just to soak the flavours up. Lunch will be a large salad roll. The roll is just to hold the meat and salad together for me.

Softdrink and alcohol. That big ol polar bear!! Thats where my good work comes undone more than anywhere else. That and beers. If I could cut them out I'd probably weigh 10kg less. But meh.. I'm happy!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
It can all get very scientific about what to eat, how to gain mass, how to cut weight and lean up while minimizing muscle loss. Go jump on a body building forum and have a look. Body building is too ego centric and too much of a full time job for me to have any interest in it.

The maths is simple though. If you want to lose weight its as simple as calories in being less than calories burnt. The opposite is true if you want to gain weight. Muscle is built by using them and causing them to react and adapt to being used.

I don't think that is the point of this thread though. This isn't so much about losing weight, retaining muscle, buffing up etc, but more about improving health and lifestyle, which is exactly what I aim to achieve in life. Its about applying some common sense to eating. Knowing what you can eat a lot of, and what to have in moderation. While I'd never go full paleo as I love to have breads, pastas, noodles, rices, etc, they are never the bulk element of a meal. I also shy away from most processed/premade meals and will cook from scratch where possible. A typical meal includes some meat (fish, chicken, beef, pork or lamb). A large side of salad or veg (usually just dressed with some olive oil and salt/vingearette - home made), and then depending on what it is it may have some carbs. Say a stirfry is all veg, some meat and a small amount of rice or noodles just to soak the flavours up. Lunch will be a large salad roll. The roll is just to hold the meat and salad together for me.

Softdrink and alcohol. That big ol polar bear!! Thats where my good work comes undone more than anywhere else. That and beers. If I could cut them out I'd probably weigh 10kg less. But meh.. I'm happy!
Ditto,

I was a hardcore crossfitter for years. Even went as far as getting my crossfit level 2 cert. I was crossfitting in between sports. I have competed in everything from BMX as a kid to professional/sponsored climber to sponsored luge competitor, now to enduro rider/racer. I still use elements of crossfit in my workouts, but not much use for it in our line of sport. During all that time competing I found the only thing that makes you better at your sport is doing your sport, eating right and doing cardio in your off days.

It's easy to pick up bad habits as an adult. You get a consistent job a wife and then some kids, east to get distracted.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Just an FYI....
My wife and I recently watched this movie.
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com
We purchased ourselves a juicer and after 2 weeks my energy level has increased tremendously.

And since this guy is from AU I am sure Jakobi will have some great comments about the guy..... ;-)
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
You are allowed to "snack" ?if? you are hungry (and not just bored or eating out of habit).

When you do "snack" make it a mini meal -- fat, veggies (carbs), and protein. 200 to 300 calories or so.

After a while when you get rid of grains and legumes, you will find yourself snacking less because good fats and protein are more satisfying and more sustaining.
Problem was I was snacking on Hershey minis, and chips.....just didn't pack enough good snacks on my first day.....I toughed it out to lunch though, had me a big o salad and then swung by the store for some healthy snacks...carrots, broccoli, celery, apples & oranges in the fridge at the shop now
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro