Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

I agree sounds rich in the ops case. I can just look at my kick starter sideways and it starts. Don't find the iridium plugs that usefull personally. BR8EG/ES. Same method as everyone else. Choke and 2 kicks cold, or a little throttle open and a single kick hot. Easily starts in gear or neutral.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Try tipping your bike ALL the way over till you see gas coming from the vent tubes.And a little choke,kick.
I've had no starting issues using this procedure.

John
+3

I found this invaluable with my RMX 2T. It had a PWK fitted and ran similar plugs to the gassers, so i'd put them all in the same category. As it turned out that fresh fuel in the carby was key to this bike, I changed the procedure to running it with the fuel tap off until it just started pinging before packing it away. Less effort than tipping it over

Finding TDC was important and became incrementally more important the older the top end was.

TDC, a full but not forcefull kick and fresh fuel. Started in no more than 1 -2 kicks.

I use the same principals on my 09 ec 300 although thankfully its a lot more compliant..... Starting in gear... Yay!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Don't find the iridium plugs that usefull personally.
Me either. They work fine, but I don't see the point to spending more $. The regular plugs work just as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Top Dead Center of the compression cycle. Lightly move the kick lever until resistance is highest. Allow kick lever to return to top of stroke, press until you mesh the gears (just until you feel it engage), then a swift kick. Just slapping at the kicker will damage the shaft dogs and not help starting. Another trick is to roll the bike backwards in gear (clutch lever out) until the bike stops rolling, that's TDC as well.
Putting your piston at TDC is the correct procedure, its about the only way to fire up the CR500 two strokes. I could start my CR 500 without any problem by using this method. However, on my gasser I don't have to find TDC because I have the BUTTON,LOL! Sorry , I had to say that.........

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
Also, don't kick straight down or try and kick with the arc of the kickstarter. Rather, lean forward and kick in a straight line down and BACK.
THIS!!!! Is the best advice. Wow, tried this today and what a difference.
I've been guilty of the "slap stab" before because I would get frustrated.

Thank you so much, can't believe how much easier it was to start my bike from cold. Seems so simple now

Technique eh. Everything in life is much easier with the right technique!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM

Glad that tip worked for you!
That method really works on old left-hand kick open class bikes!