Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Water proofing advice ....

Ok people ive got a 2004 GasGas 300 ec , im doing a hour long event on boxing day or the day after christmas for the people who have not heard of boxing day

Anyway its only a hour long event but its usually a hour of hell and its called the wild and wooley here in the uk its the longest running moto x style event in the world ...

It consists of a lot of water and there is only 55 riders and some of thou don't get past practice

So what im asking is what and were should i start in water proofing the old girl
airbox and the like sometimes the water is 3-4 feet deep in the crossings

Anyway folks take at look at this and feel free to comment ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0zcu0tuxw

Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 PM

move the carb breather tubes up to the air box but leave the over flow pipe where it is, put some sponge on the bottom of the airbox so crap cant get let in through the small drain hole but the sponge will let out any water
for yourself buy some seal skin socks, just so if your boots get very wet inside your feet wont get wet apart from getting wet from sweat also if there's water there will be alot of mud strech some womens tights over your rads to stop the mud building up between your rads and rad gaurds
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reply , ok ive got 3 A4 size bits of proper airbox foam ive just taken the stator cover of and the gasket was non existant and rather messy in there so half hour with tooth brush and GT85 sorted that sealed it with some proper flange sealant from work it it holds 60 gallons of diesel oil it will keep some water out.

Would u tape up the sides of the panels to the airbox ? and breather pipes into the airbox or new ones to the head stock area ?

Got seal skins as we visit wales now and again and the Strat !
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM

That was a damn fun video to watch. I would relocate the breathers as high as is reasonable. I would tape the insides of the panels, and after wiping down the exterior seams of the side panels with alcohol prep pads...I'd run a bead of clear automotive silicone gasket sealer for good measure.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 PM

Fairly sure this applies to '04 cases. Put an m6 bolt in the open hole in the bottom of the cases (it's behind the crank drain bolt). This stops water following the path shown into the ignition and stopping it from sparking. Bit of silicone where the wires exit the ignition case if the gromit or sheathing don't look 100%

Redirect top carb breather pipes into the airbox and give the ignition circuit connectors a good check over. Check sealing up around the airbox hasn't messed up the jetting.

Hope it doesn't freeze over like the other year, when they had to break through the ice to get at the mud. I shall be trialling on boxing day, on a ground next to a pub, much more civilized
Old 12-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Looks the nuts mate enjoy, wish I was there
Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Do the rules of this race allow you to use other bikes (and riders) for traction and as bridges? That video makes my back and both wrists hurt!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
That was a damn fun video to watch. I would relocate the breathers as high as is reasonable. I would tape the insides of the panels, and after wiping down the exterior seams of the side panels with alcohol prep pads...I'd run a bead of clear automotive silicone gasket sealer for good measure.
I routed the breathers up behind the headstock with a bit of proper airbox foam over the top ... ive used some silicon sealer along the side panels and a square of airbox foam over the hole then the seat ....
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I routed the breathers up behind the headstock with a bit of proper airbox foam over the top ... ive used some silicon sealer along the side panels and a square of airbox foam over the hole then the seat ....
I started my dirtbike voyage with a '90 KTM DXC 250. I had the airbox sealed up so that water could come up to the lower edge of the seat, without concern. I had to have my jetting corrected, of course. At the time, idling in along in 3rd gear was scary. Two-wheeled submarines...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Packman;124130]Ok people ive got a 2004 GasGas 300 ec , im doing a hour long event on boxing day or the day after christmas for the people who have not heard of boxing day

How did you do ?

http://youtu.be/2Ab41HmvShQ