Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default My own rant

We have been having a really nice discussion on our wish list threads. It seems that quite a few people have a common idea on what would completely refine the Gas Gas. Sounds good to me. It also seems that there are a few people that are a bit offended that we would suggest that Gas Gas might change some things. I recently rode a 2011 KTM. After a 20 minute stint on the pegs, I don't know if I would change anything but the handlebars on that bike. I didn't do a top end on it, or grease the swingarm, or do a tire swap on the front wheel, but it was every bit as good as my Gas Gas, which, I like very much.

I also own interest in two 2009 Husqvarna two strokes. The only thing I'd change on those bikes would be the placement of the kickstarter, and, of course the bars, but I'm a freak.

Selfishly, I could hope that Gas Gas remains the quaint little footnote that it is now, because it means I can usually buy one for far less than it's competition. I'm a frugal person, and I think (maybe arrogantly so) that I can ride any motorcycle over any terrain and do it all at the same speed, from a 125, to a 300, it's all the same. I happen to like Gas Gas, and I happen to think they work GREAT, but I'm going to buy what I can get a deal on, because all the bikes are great. If "improving" these bikes means making them cost as much as a KTM, I'm not interested, though I'd agree they need some little tweaks.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

KTM refused for years to improve the turning of their bikes by changing the triple clamp offset and are screwing everyone by sticking them with that rear suspension that they defacto admit sucks by using better suspension on their MX bikes. They lie to us by telling us that the linkless design is as good and they only changed to linkage on the MX bikes for "marketing" reasons, being that the public demands it even though it isn't better...or so they want you to believe. Which is basically saying that we the people are stupid.

I think Gas Gas deserves every penny of my dirt bike money and more for providing the closest thing to a prefect bike I've ever seen. My GG is far better equipped than any KTM ever was.

Money was not a factor in my decision to buy the GG.

Smash the pumpkins.

Rant over....for now.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 PM

I suppose when you say they cost less you mean for a used bike. I agree the resale market on the GasGas is a little soft but I think that will change as they gain in popularity.

I also think the KTM is an excellent bike and does not cost any more new than a GasGas. I almost went with a new KTM 300xc but I still have my 08 KTM 300 that I really like. The GasGas beats the KTM in a couple of areas and the KTM has some advantages over the Gasser in others.

I have not suggested it yet on the other thread but it seems like someone who makes a billet clutch cover for the Gasser could machine in an oil fill hole at the top like normal bikes have. I hate the oil fill on the GasGas, it is plain stupid!

I can not understand why some guys have to hate on the KTM's either. It comes off as jealousy or an inferiority complex. I mean it is not like they are a Honda!

When I read someone say how bad the KTM and pds suspension is it makes me laugh, they have never ridden a well setup KTM.

I kind of like having something a little different from everyone else and so far I like the Gasser quite a bit but if I had to give it up and go Orange tomorrow it would not hurt my feelings and I would be just as fast or slow depending on how you look at it.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM

It might help to say that I've had 35 bikes over a 40 year riding career.

My 2011 Gasser is a dream come true. Everything I always wanted.

The PDS suspension isn't as good, it can't be. Am I capable of pushing a properly set up PDS past it's limits? No way, but the flip side of that coin is that I can use all the help I can get since I'm not that good.

I owned a KTM and liked it but I get a little tired of the KTM Kool-aid drinkers pushing orange down my throat.

KTM makes a good product but I really hope Gas Gas eventually outsells them.

Why?

Because they deserve to IMO

P.S. a KTM 300 was my second choice for a bike
Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 AM

In my opinion the best deal on a used bike is a Gas Gas and the best deal on a new bike was the new leftover 2009 WR250 Husky for $4500. I own one of each. I know I'll have to mod any bike I buy so getting it at a good price makes a big difference. I would pay more if it was perfect for me out of the crate but that isn't going to happen.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:49 AM

I have a buddy who bought a Husky on that deal and it's a nice bike. I wanted a six speed and electric start though.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM

I've owned and struggled with two PDS KTMs, as well as a Ohlins PDS Cannondale. I've also ridden newer PDS KTMs. New bikes better no doubt. Mine were a constant battle and never ended up to my taste. Cannondale, beleive it or not, was much better in the rear than a KTM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

When factoring the cost of a bike, one must consider the things that aren't included that must be purchased before riding the bike. GG sees fit to include a spark arrestor and comes with a headlight. That's $300. Couple that with the fact that the dealer is usually far more motivated to move a bike than the KTM dealer, and will sell it for less than retail, the Gas Gas is quite a bit less money than a KTM. Overall, it's a better deal. Husaberg makes an interesting machine, even though it has two too many strokes, but it is so high priced that I'm amazed anyone will buy one. Certainly I won't be buying just the cheapest bike, but the best deal on something that works. I'm not a brand snob. I love Gas Gas, but they didn't give birth to me. To me, Husky, KTM, and Gas Gas are all three very capable machines, all worthy of purchase. Gas Gas has my repeated business because we have an incredibly good dealer, who is an enthusiast.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Some guys can ride anything and others are more sensitive. Also, some bikes just "speak to you" more than others. I know that sounds weird but its true IMO. I just can't stand the way KTMs feel, period. I have a friend who can't ride anything else he is so used to them, so go figure. He also hates the forks and puts Showas on all his pumpkins. I could ride a Husky, and have some time on them, but the height is a disadvantage to me in the semi-trials like terrain. Same with a Yamaha. The GG justs fits the bill and always did. My local GG dealer dropped them but its absolutely no factor in my choice.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM

I will be very happy if I can get the suspension on my GasGas to work as well as my KTM does. I am pretty happy with it but I just can not quite hammer through a set of woops like I can on the Orange bike.

As far as price of a new bike it is very close. I could have bought a new KTM 300xc for $7250 or the estart GG 300 for about $7100. To me stock out of the box the KTM has much better suspension than the Gasser, if I had went that way I would have been happy with only a respring and not needed revalving.

In the end I got a killer deal on a dealer demo non estart 2011 GG 300 with lots of extras included so the choice was a little easier.