Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick790 View Post
I had this problem this weekend, what should I do?
Well your in the UK so maybe start by contacting GG UK and see what they have to say. Hopefully they should have the fix for you or point you in the right direction. They better not try to deny the problem exists or haven't seen it.

I'm not chancing it for this season and just sent my 07 shock to Les for the full on LTR treatment

GG, Husky, and Beta must be getting great deals on this Sachs stuff. Wish they had just stuck with the Marzocchi (48 or 50mm please) Ohlins combo or even Showa or KYB forks.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
I had this problem this weekend, what should I do?
You could do what I did and find out what is available nearby for you from Les at Ltr.
He is a top bloke and would be glad to help you out.
Cheers Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Your experience with the Sachs shock are not so good.
Also in Germany I read about loosing parts inside the Shock.
You know where this shocks assembled.
Is it still possible to order a new GG with Öhlins Shock and Shiver fork but also with crankshaft with bigger flywheel mass and enduro (not mx) ignition.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Administrator

The sachs shock is well built with a few minor glitches. Some of the shocks have issues and most don't.

Just an FYI - there are different "grades" of ohlins shocks - some with aluminum body and less expensive bushings, etc.

I like a steel body for longer service intervals and less shock fade. Like the older gold series ohlins - The sachs shock has a high quality alloy steel body.

Once the little glitches in the sachs are cleaned up - it is equal to the ohlins in build quality and ride. We have a sachs shock on our husky txc510 and love it (Les and I share this bike).

I was talking to Les @ LT-Racing the other day and he is talking about updating his website with details on what exactly needs to be done to the sachs shock to fix the issues that can occur with it. He doesn't want to give away his secrets and his business along with it. But he gets many requests for help from those outside the United States and wants to help everyone.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 04-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Les needs a franchise in Canada There's gotta be enough euro bikes up here to keep a shop busy.

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I agree the Sachs stuff is good, I re-valved my shock and I'm very happy with it!
I opted to convert to a bladder...but that was a decision based on making maintenance easier.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The sachs shock is well built with a few minor glitches. Some of the shocks have issues and most don't.

Just an FYI - there are different "grades" of ohlins shocks - some with aluminum body and less expensive bushings, etc.

I like a steel body for longer service intervals and less shock fade. Like the older gold series ohlins - The sachs shock has a high quality alloy steel body.

Once the little glitches in the sachs are cleaned up - it is equal to the ohlins in build quality and ride. We have a sachs shock on our husky txc510 and love it (Les and I share this bike).

I was talking to Les @ LT-Racing the other day and he is talking about updating his website with details on what exactly needs to be done to the sachs shock to fix the issues that can occur with it. He doesn't want to give away his secrets and his business along with it. But he gets many requests for help from those outside the United States and wants to help everyone.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
I emailed Les last week on this subject, but didn't get a reply. I understand that he wont make any money out of giving out information and that it must of taken allot of time and experience to gain the knowledge on the subject. I was just hoping he may have pointed me in the right direction. If he did ever consider, dealers or Representatives in the U.K. I would be glad to help.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I emailed Les last week on this subject, but didn't get a reply. I understand that he wont make any money out of giving out information and that it must of taken allot of time and experience to gain the knowledge on the subject. I was just hoping he may have pointed me in the right direction. If he did ever consider, dealers or Representatives in the U.K. I would be glad to help.
Thanks. Les told me that he was getting alot of e-mails about how to fix the sachs shock & fork, etc. and he wasn't sure how to reply. If he tells one person across the pond then it isn't long before the info is impacting his business in the U.S. As the saying goes - "a secret is something you tell one person at a time..."

And as you said, it has taken him a bit of time to resolve these issues and test them in the field etc. These things have value to Les and his business - and if you give them away for free - they have no value. But at the same time - he doesn't want somebody in the U.K., Australia or NZ not able to enjoy their riding without fear of flying over the handlebars on the next big bump.

I talked to him yesterday and he hadn't had time to get to it yet - but he will be updating his website with specific details on the shock fix soon.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Thanks. Les told me that he was getting alot of e-mails about how to fix the sachs shock & fork, etc. and he wasn't sure how to reply. If he tells one person across the pond then it isn't long before the info is impacting his business in the U.S. As the saying goes - "a secret is something you tell one person at a time..."

And as you said, it has taken him a bit of time to resolve these issues and test them in the field etc. These things have value to Les and his business - and if you give them away for free - they have no value. But at the same time - he doesn't want somebody in the U.K., Australia or NZ not able to enjoy their riding without fear of flying over the handlebars on the next big bump.

I talked to him yesterday and he hadn't had time to get to it yet - but he will be updating his website with specific details on the shock fix soon.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
I tried to buy a build sheet off Les but he declined, "totally understand"
Anyway, I know there's an issue with the seal in the seal head being able to float and this can cause the seal to fail over time...."not what your experiencing now".
Also, I know on my shock that some fluid was making it's way past the rez piston....another reason I converted to a bladder.
I went to a heavier spring so...I stiffened up the rebound stack quite a bit.
I could use even more high speed rebound dampening and the same goes for the forks.
If you can't get your stuff to Les, try a local suspension shop or tuner...a shock is a shock the principals are the same...Sachs is no different...then at least you have some one local to go back to for changes/tuning.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I tried to buy a build sheet off Les but he declined, "totally understand"
Anyway, I know there's an issue with the seal in the seal head being able to float and this can cause the seal to fail over time...."not what your experiencing now".
Also, I know on my shock that some fluid was making it's way past the rez piston....another reason I converted to a bladder.
I went to a heavier spring so...I stiffened up the rebound stack quite a bit.
I could use even more high speed rebound dampening and the same goes for the forks.
If you can't get your stuff to Les, try a local suspension shop or tuner...a shock is a shock the principals are the same...Sachs is no different...then at least you have some one local to go back to for changes/tuning.
Please don't take offense, but as you will see shortly - the issues that you list above are not what hold the shock back and the next time you have your shock apart you may want to update a few parts inside according to Les' directions.

Bladder versus piston for the reservoir is a religious thing - Les doesn't try to sell anyone a bladder as he thinks the piston is more reliable. Alot of tuners want to use a bladder simply because it is easier to bleed the shock. And note that the piston ring weeping slightly is not an issue to worry about.

And a sachs is a little different than other shocks - Les knows them well and typically fixes three things inside them to improve reliability and action. Two of things he does are about to become public.... He won't even tell me the third thing he does....

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club