Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your input! I connected the white and yellow wire from the stator to one of the two wires of the dc regulator. Can you elaborate more on why it will damage the stator? Have you got any stator failed because of this? Is this white wire available free on the frame only for the case you float the ground? I measured its voltage when I found it while the bike was working with the oem lights on and it reached 25V AC (not much) at less than half throttle. So, it seems that the power of the white wire and of the yellow wire can be summed together.

The DC rec/reg I used is pretty similar to the trailtech reg and in the same price category. It corresponds exactly to the dc reg of the diagram above with two yellow, one red and one black wire. I remember that when we measured the voltage at the battery with the hid on it was something like 14V +. I have to ask still my friend because he took the measurement.

Until now I rode three times the bike and no problems. Yesterday night I was using the hid front light and the two trailtech helmet lights. I started with an empty battery (after experiments with a hid projector in the yard with the bike off), the battery charged with the lights off during warm up (max 3 min) and the hids started ok when I started driving. Then for 1 hour everything worked ok.

I still have to measure the voltage at the battery to be sure. Please elaborate more on the stator failure.

Waiting for your reply.

Leon

Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Hi again!

I wanted to add that more people here in Finland insist that you do not have to do the stator mod on a 2 stroke (especially the KTMs and GasGas having the 2k3 stator) in order to run HID as long as you follow the isolated dc ground method and you have the correct dc reg. This mod is necessary on 4 strokes with a starter in order to use together the AC side (powering the lights) and DC powering the battery for the starter.

Even a company called EMX from Sweden selling various electric parts for KTMs to run HID, inform that on 2T KTMs with the 2k3 you do not need the stator mod when using their expensive dc regulator (100 euros) and similar (if not the same) to trailtech reg.

Still waiting for your answer about the stator failure on GasGas. Is it that the power of lets say the white wire can loop backwards to the coil of the yellow wire and burn it? Can this really happen? Checking the diagram and the ground connections it seems safe to me to connect together the two wires to the dc rec.

I asked my friend and he confirmed that he saw 14V (enough to keep it charged) at the battery when the hids were on.

Leon
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I read that one of you guys were going to hook the white with the yellow, yes you will get a spike of juce but it will be short lived and you will soon be replaceing your stator so please don't.

Quote:
Finally we connected both ac wires (yellow and white) to one of the two yellow wires of the reg/rec to get max charging power because I am planning to use the battery to power the trail tech helmet lights as well.

After reading this again after awhile I think that Steve is correct. The yellow and white AC wires from the stator should be out of phase with respect to each other, as they are on different polls, not in parallell like on the core of a transformer. Its an 8 pole stator, so that means a 45 deg phase angle between adjacent poles.

What this means is that there will be some potential between the windings, as well as a potential from each to their common AC (stator) ground.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Thank you for the reply! I will be disconnecting the white wire from the connections but still I am not sure that there should be a problem on the stator. I fully understand that this kind of connection could cause problem on a 3 phase floated stator but not really on stator where two different coils are grounded. Please Steve elaborate on this possible failure.

Thank you!

Leon
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Please check the link. They say that on 2T KTMs with the 2K3 there is no need to modify the stator for this upgrade and they suggest to connect the yelow and white wire together.

http://www.pmxtec.com/prod08.htm
Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Please check the link. They say that on 2T KTMs with the 2K3 there is no need to modify the stator for this upgrade and they suggest to connect the yelow and white wire together.

http://www.pmxtec.com/prod08.htm
Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM

I think the link you provided is for a Halogen bulb and not an HID.
"Osram 65W H7 bulb" Filliment bulbs can run on either AC or DC.
But I believe an HID needs true DC.
If you can, and it appears you have, get a good DC current with
out doing the "Floating Ground" mod you can run a HID system.
Depending of current output from the stator you may or may not
be draining the battery with your lights on.
For my case. I doubt I will be riding with the lights on for more
than an hour or two. I suppose I could have just used a constant
loss battery system to power my lights. I may be going "Over Kill"
for my intended purpose.
"Anything worth doing, is worth over doing"
I want to have a fully street legal bike when I am finished.
Jeff So. Cal. USA
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM

The point is that they connect together the white and yellow wires from the stator without problems (as I did and it seems to work fine until now). Not that hid needs dc and halogen can run on ac. I am really against any mod on the bike if it is not needed. The whole floating ground of 2T 2K3 stators thing on the net to me seems like a big advertizment campaign to sell the work plus the famous rectifiers regulators. I just checked my dc regulator and it is exactly the same as the one trail tech sells for dc conversion on KTM and Yamaha YZF450. Exactly.

Anyway, as I have the wiring it is really easy to disconnect the white wire from the system. I just need more facts before I do it because until now the whole thing works.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Default longivity VRS quick fix

I've been messin with stators for a long time, most are high volyage but they all work on the same principal. You have as stock two compleate stators within them selves. White to ground and yellow to ground,they are such low voltage and low amp they very well may work along time befor they self destruct. Try jumping a dead battery with small cable, the cable will get really hot and may do the job but for only a short time. it's simlar to what you are trying to do, sence its ac you may even gain a few amps but the coils are fighting them selves and it is only a matter of time befor ouch. After I did the mod I took theyellow and split it .the end from the stator goes to the reg the other to the positive on the battery. Even without the batt in place stock stuff works fine,only better because it hase a cleaner voltage. The puller you need is a 27mm left hand thread.Take your time,about 30 minets and presto belive me it's worth the effort and you will be glad you did it. steve
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM

My father in law who is an automation technician in a company he suggested to do a simple test. If a small lamp is working when you connect it to the two stator wires then you shouldn't connect them together. I did the test and the lamp worked. The two coils are not in phase "competing" for power. The good news is that using only the yellow wire to the dc reg I still get good charging to the battery and hids work.

Thank you Steve for mentioning this potential problem!