Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Ok, so I looked at the cdi part numbers and these are my notes on them. I don't know the history on the used cdis as they have been sitting in a box since 2018 and the other question I don't have the answer to is I dont know if the 3 cdis that didnt work for my bike are bad or incompatible because of something done to my bike like a different flywheel or something else. This worries me a little but oh well. All the cdis that didn't work well have the same symptoms but some were worse then others.

EE51100CT-CLK-1- Came with the bike and was problematic at low end and needed a really lean main to get on the pipe. This cdi also has two divets on the bottom so I believe that has the updated map installed

EE51100CT-CLJ-1 - First one worked better then clk but still was not smooth off bottom and no powerband

EE51100CT-CLJ-1 second one would not get on the powerband at all

EE51100CT-CRB-1- this one worked great and what fixed my problem.

The CRB is what is listed on the parts diagram as the OE cdi part number.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:36 PM

but you can keep the good cdi then, at a fair price?
glad you persevered with the gasser brand, many others would've tossed it out the door or parted it out.
have some great rides now (before they shut down your parks too)
we (in europe) will have to be patient for at least another month, only essential activities so groceries, hiking and cycling, that's IT)
Old 03-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
but you can keep the good cdi then, at a fair price?
glad you persevered with the gasser brand, many others would've tossed it out the door or parted it out.
have some great rides now (before they shut down your parks too)
we (in europe) will have to be patient for at least another month, only essential activities so groceries, hiking and cycling, that's IT)
Yes he gave me the cdis, he has no need for them anymore since the Gas Gas team here folded up when KTM bought the brand.

The shelter in place here has those activities listed as examples too but also says those are only examples of what can be done and they have not closed the state parks yet so we may be fine for a while but again people are really taking advantage of it sonce they can't work so I imagine those parks are next to get shut down but I will keep riding until they do. I just keep my distance, I park as far away from everyone as possible and stay away from everyone.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM_OFFROAD View Post
Ok, so I looked at the cdi part numbers and these are my notes on them. I don't know the history on the used cdis as they have been sitting in a box since 2018 and the other question I don't have the answer to is I dont know if the 3 cdis that didnt work for my bike are bad or incompatible because of something done to my bike like a different flywheel or something else. This worries me a little but oh well. All the cdis that didn't work well have the same symptoms but some were worse then others.

EE51100CT-CLK-1- Came with the bike and was problematic at low end and needed a really lean main to get on the pipe. This cdi also has two divets on the bottom so I believe that has the updated map installed

EE51100CT-CLJ-1 - First one worked better then clk but still was not smooth off bottom and no powerband

EE51100CT-CLJ-1 second one would not get on the powerband at all

EE51100CT-CRB-1- this one worked great and what fixed my problem.

The CRB is what is listed on the parts diagram as the OE cdi part number.
Had any of the other cdi's been marked as 2 dot?

I have a mate with a 250 XC here in Aus. He has the CRB-1 and never flashed. Couple hundred hours on it and has been stoked.

I have the CLK, never flashed and runs well. I've had the head modded though so not apples to apples either.

The parts fiches/exploded diagrams and parts listings also show 2 different cdi's depending on the flywheel/stator that is used. I believe if you upgrade the CDI you're meant to change the flywheel as well. Perhaps that's what you're seeing. I bet your CRB is a single dot, not flashed.. and you're probably getting a bit more punch with it being an XC cdi too.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Had any of the other cdi's been marked as 2 dot?

I have a mate with a 250 XC here in Aus. He has the CRB-1 and never flashed. Couple hundred hours on it and has been stoked.

I have the CLK, never flashed and runs well. I've had the head modded though so not apples to apples either.

The parts fiches/exploded diagrams and parts listings also show 2 different cdi's depending on the flywheel/stator that is used. I believe if you upgrade the CDI you're meant to change the flywheel as well. Perhaps that's what you're seeing. I bet your CRB is a single dot, not flashed.. and you're probably getting a bit more punch with it being an XC cdi too.
Yes the CRB is a single dot. I tried researching but gave up because the info is so scattered. That is one thing I do like better about my YZ450 is there is so much easy to access information. Apples to oranges though I guess

I am just happy it is working now. The trick now is to ride it as much as possible to build confidence in it being actually fixed, this has been a long saga for me and I am still paranoid.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes the CRB is a single dot. I tried researching but gave up because the info is so scattered. That is one thing I do like better about my YZ450 is there is so much easy to access information. Apples to oranges though I guess

I am just happy it is working now. The trick now is to ride it as much as possible to build confidence in it being actually fixed, this has been a long saga for me and I am still paranoid.
How many hours did it take to eat the last piston?

I'd be periodically pulling the spark plug and checking for signs of detonation. Pulling the exhaust and checking the edge of the piston and ringlands should show if its beginning to hurt your engine again as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
How many hours did it take to eat the last piston?

I'd be periodically pulling the spark plug and checking for signs of detonation. Pulling the exhaust and checking the edge of the piston and ringlands should show if its beginning to hurt your engine again as well.
About 3 riding hours last time but I could feel the detonation which I don't feel at all this time. I will be pulling the plug regularly for sure
Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

I think you'll find she is sweet mate. 3 hours isn't much at all!

From the parts
SET CDI PROGRAMMED ENDURO 300 2018
EE51100CT-CLJ-1 (u. 1) - ONLY FOR 30? ROTOR

SET CDI PROGRAMMED ENDURO GP 300 2018
EE51100CT-CSK-1 (u. 1)

Not sure what the 30a Rotor is but I would think it is a variation in the flywheel/stator timing.

I wonder if they took some advance out of the stator timing and then added it back in with the CDI. Then in the event that you ran a newer CDI with the older stator you'd end up far too advanced.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Yes he gave me the cdis, he has no need for them anymore since the Gas Gas team here folded up when KTM bought the brand.

The shelter in place here has those activities listed as examples too but also says those are only examples of what can be done and they have not closed the state parks yet so we may be fine for a while but again people are really taking advantage of it sonce they can't work so I imagine those parks are next to get shut down but I will keep riding until they do. I just keep my distance, I park as far away from everyone as possible and stay away from everyone.
Problem with race teams/bikes is you never know which parts or which models they use. For me it sounds very likely what Jakobi said about the too far advanced ignition.
However, the bike runs and like Hannes I think its great that you haven't thrown it into the next pond and bought something else. It was a hard time for you and my last GG gave me at least the same amount of trouble and anger.

Its a brilliant bike with the best suspension you get out of the box and I hope you'll can enjoy it even more in the future.

Stay healthy
Doc
Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
So I switched over the cdi with the stock jetting and wow what a difference. The power picks up from the bottom with little to no hesitation and pulls all the way through. Zero pinging or detonation. Pulled a longish hill climb wide open amd got to the top and the idle dropped right down where it should be. The bike sounds completely different and feels like I thought a 300 would. I am finding out that prior to this my bike was extremely under powered especially in the low end. I lugging in 3rd and 4th gear in placed where prior to this I would need second or even first. I will get a video up soon but damn I am excited. This was a long expensive journey but I am soooo happy with this bike now and just want to get back out and ride. Its too bad the timing is horrible with the covid 19 pandemic and riding areas getting shut down till this is over.
I suppose this is better than getting a new bike. You have just upgraded your bike almost for free