Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Default TMX News Reviews the 2007 Line

http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_dat...nes/index.html

Their gist is that they thought the EC250 was perfect. They liked the EC300, but one thought it was too much bike for him.

A sample:

Quote:
GAS GAS EC250

Carl: I’m still undecided about the EC250 - undecided whether it is my favourite bike of the range or not. It was certainly the most suited to the Hare and Hounds type going that we tested on.

It really is an exceptional enduro machine that produces incredibly smooth, torquey, user-friendly power that builds up to an excellent top-end, with exceptional handling characterisitics, and on the fast, rough, grassy Hare and Hounds type ground, that we spent much of the day testing on, it was definitely the best bike of the entire range for all levels of rider.

There really is nothing to complain about on the bike other than very minor personal preferences.

You do see quite a lot of EC250 bikes around and you should see a lot more this season as the minor engine mods to the crankshaft, exhaust valve and piston has made it an even more user friendly and competitive machine, and a total blast to ride.

As with the 125, 200 and the rest of the EC range, the ergonomics are very roomy and comfortable, and the handling of the EC250 is as good as the handling on any enduro bike on the market, pretty much faultless right out of the crate, with the suspension and forgiving nature of the frame combining to create a very supple, nimble ride, but it is the engine’s performance that stands out to me on this bike.

It is one of the most user friendly and genuinely mass appeal bikes I’ve ridden in my many years riding. It’s very torquey low-down, is silky smooth in its power delivery and stays progressive all the way up to over-rev, which will appeal to Clubman and fun riders in particular, while the bike really loves to rev-out at the top-end and when you ride it aggresively the bike seriously motors along whilst retaining its smoothness, which is perfect for the more talented riders out there.

It does everything you could want an enduro bike to do well, and without sacrificing performance somewhere else which is a rareity.

It was jetted and geared well from out of the crate and whether play-riding on some more technical sections for the photographer, putting in some fast laps on the wet, grass based Hare and Hounds loop or just trail-riding around, the bike was never found wanting, throttle response was crisp and instantaneous, and the gears always felt rightly spaced.

Whatever you use this bike for, from a weekend trail-ride round your local lanes to a British championship enduro, it will not disappoint you, Gas Gas has a real winner this year with the EC250. Looks great, rides great, enough said.

Ben: This is the pick of the bunch for me, a really strong performer in all areas and the easiest, most forgiving, and most rewarding of the EC range to ride. The EC250 is a great Clubman bike, even for a ten stone beanpole like myself, and should be a serious consideration for any rider.

The beauty of the EC250 is that it is just stupidly easy to ride. It’s so smooth and responsive that it flatters you as a rider and you feel right at home instantly, and more importantly confident in your abilities on it.

It has a smoothness about it that makes you almost feel like you are going slow, encouraging you to pick up the pace without feeling like you are riding above your limits or comfort zone, and whenever you need a bit more power it is there. I couldn’t believe how long you could hold second and third gear on this thing without losing power.

Similarly, when it got to the slow stuff the torque was there to keep your momentum up without being too agressive and making the bike hard work, allowing the excellent chassis to do its job.

Stick this engine into the chassis, which we both have already eulogised, and you have what is an undeniably great package, the smoothness of the motor combining with the sharp handling and supple suspension/ chassis to make the EC250 and incredibly stable, responsive bike that gives the rider loads of feedback and encourages smooth, enjoyable riding.

Undoubtedly, I was smoother and faster on the 250 than any other bike all day and is easily my top choice from the range.
Quote:
GAS GAS EC300

Carl: My usual mount is a 300cc TM so I was keen to see how the EC300 Gasser would shape up and I wasn’t let down. Along with the EC250, the 300 is the best selling bike in the range and it is easy to see why.

The bike has all of the characteristics that make the 250 such a good bike, the super-smooth, very torquey and user friendly power delivery, and excellent handling traits, but with just that bit more grunt from the motor in all the right places, and thanks to this low-down grunt I feel that the EC300 is probably the best pure ‘enduro’ bike in the range.

The increased power output over the 250 motor is noticable, especially from the mid-range upwards, although not in a way that makes it feel too much bike, but the most impressive aspect of the bike to me is its ability to chug along at low-revs through slow and technical sections.

In fact, if you rode the bike like this all day, short-shifting and riding in the torque band, the bike was incredibly strong and very economical to ride. I could have ridden the bike round like this in third gear all day long quite happily.

Also very noticable on the EC300 was the dual-switch ignition. In the softer ‘rain’ setting the bike was even smoother and for the slick conditions that we rode in was the ideal setting, and would also be for tight woods going or really boggy sections, but flick the switch to the ‘sun’ setting and bike becomes a different animal with increased mid-range hit and a real zip about it. For dry, grippy or sandy conditions it is ideal.

I really like the EC300 and for more advanced riders in particualr I think that it is an ideal enduro bike. I’d love to get it the woods back home to give it a real test in hard enduro conditions, I think it would really shine there.

Ben: The EC300 is another absolute corker of a bike, powerful, smooth and excellent handling like all the EC range, but if I’m honest it is just too much bike for a rider of my size and ability - and anyone who saw me fishtailing along, feet swinging in the breeze would agree.

The bike is only 50cc bigger than the 250, obviously, but I think you are starting to get into the realms of more experienced and talented riders with the bike. That is not to say that it is not a great Clubman bike, it is, but I think it will be much more suitable and appealing to riders with size, weight and some good experience on their side.

The bike is incredibly smooth and torquey, but it does pick-up speed very quickly so if your a big, strong guy who can really muscle a bike around then the EC300 is definitely the bike for you, and in my eyes a much better enduro bike than a four-stroke.

I really like the EC300, especially in rain settting, and feel that if I had it down in the woods it would be a much more useable bike for me, but on the fast, wet grass that we spent most of the day on it was too much for me to handle.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 AM

This has been posted as a link before, but thanks.

Personally I agree with that. Having had 2 GG 250s, and seen others set up, it is an extremely flexible motorcycle. You can make it grunt or rev to fit your style. Its perfect as an all around trail rider/racer.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM

As with the KTM, I am still torn between the 250 and the 300. My riding "style" or should I say, "short-comings" really appreciates low-end torque.

Does anyone here have experience with the modern versions of the 250 and 300?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM

I'd take anything written in TMX news with a mountain of salt.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 AM

The 300s are very smooth, but they still pull hard off the bottom. If you just trail ride this is great but can get you tired faster in a long tough enduro. The 250 has plenty of low end but not too much and can be modified for even more. Its also very smooth in stock or near stock form. I also think that it feels lighter because of the slightly softer power delivery off the bottom, but it weighs exactly the same. Top end power is about the same.

Overall I think the 300s are more popular, I just prefer the 250 because I find it tiring managing power I don't need in the tight rocky woods here. For trailriding in more hilly/sandy terrain you would love the 300.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM

I would say that about a third of our riding is in sand washes. And there are plenty of rocky hills to be had here. But I handle them just fine on my KDX -- so I have to wonder if the 300 is necessary. I don't think I'll make a mistake either way.

I do have issues with after-market part availability for the Gas Gas, as posted in this forum.

Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 11:56 AM

No issues. You can get anything you need from the sponsoring dealers. The bikes don't absolutely need as much as other bikes, its more a matter of want. Guard it up and ride for starters.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM

It's the FSE's which are sometimes hard to find parts for. Protection parts were hard to find for the '05 and up. But this is pretty much ironed out except for the radiator guards.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
http://www.tmxnews.co.uk/content_dat...nes/index.html

Their gist is that they thought the EC250 was perfect. They liked the EC300, but one thought it was too much bike for him.

A sample:
Wait, where did you come from?! I've been lurking here for awhile and you show up here too. Creepy... Have you ridden a GG yet Rick? I raced one at Laughlin last weekend and I'm really thinking about one. I loved it. I'm most likely going to go with the 200 but if a 250 comes up in my price range I'll go for that. Those KDXs are cool but a bit out-dated. Time for a new steed...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM

How do the 200 and 250 compare? I have a 2001 EC200 (with the MC ignition so it's essentially a DE) and I'm looking at getting a new bike probably in the fall. Right now I'm torn between another 200 and a 250.