Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Default gearbox Oil & rad coolant

Hello all. I am noob to all this. I got a 04 200ec. It has now become a bit of a project as the guy that sold it to me said the bike had no issues. So far I have to replace rear shock. Sub frame being fixed up. Some small things missing etc. So to be safe I am going to change oil and rad fluid. Will normal rad coolent that has anti boil and aluminium friendly properties be fine. Also what oil for the gearbox. Friend of mine puts 10w40 castrol gtx ib his ktm as 1l of 80w is half the price of a 5l castrol gtx.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kyton; 04-30-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyton View Post
So to be safe I am going to change oil and rad fluid. Will normal rad coolent that has anti boil and aluminium friendly properties be fine. Also what oil for the gearbox.
Welcome...and congrats on the bike! Have a 200 myself and it's a great bike.

I'm pretty sure you can use regular automotive antifreeze as coolant. There are other options out there to help keep temps down that are specific to bikes, but I haven't had any issues with the Prestone I put in my bike after getting the head mod done.

Tranny oil will have a TON of opinions. Personally, I've been running ATF in my 2-strokes for a long time and haven't had an issue. I change it every ~8 hours or so because it's inexpensive to do so - I run the old type F stuff. I think one of the important things to consider when running regular oil is the addition of friction reducers - stuff that cars/autos use - this can cause clutch slippage if I remember correctly. A bike specific oil doesn't include these.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

engine ice for the coolent if u can get some..higher boiling point and make sure youv plenty pressure in the rad..pressure helps prevent boiling. .if it not building up pressure when hot uv possible a leak..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2014, 07:18 AM

Also need some info on the clutch fluid. on the AJP cover says dot4. Agency said could be mineral as it was around the time that they moved to mineral oil system. how do i know what is in it currently?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Also need some info on the clutch fluid. on the AJP cover says dot4. Agency said could be mineral as it was around the time that they moved to mineral oil system. how do i know what is in it currently?
AJP cover? Read the cap of the clutch res.

Also, green cap is mineral and black(I think?) cap is brake fluid. I use leftover lightweight shock oil for my bike with the green cap.

'08 EC250 and some other bikes.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM

how often would u change yours?? iv some left over fork oil I think I could use. .good tip

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
My ajp cap says mineral oil - I also used some 2,5wt fork oil to top mine up

PS welcome to the forum
Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 AM

I was going to change the coolant. Let a little out and see it was a bluish colour. I wonder if it has Engine ice in. The antifreeze I purchased is aluminium friendly has a boiling point of 109 deg Celsius. Is this too low? For some reason the rad looks rusty when looking in the the filler hole. Who knows what the previous owner did to the bike.