Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default 2006 vs 2009

I have a question for the guys that have rode/have time on the 05,06, 07 stuff vs the 09 stuff.

I have a 2006 DE200. Zoke/Ohlin. This is my favorite bike in my stable. The suspention is stock. I wish the forks did not dive quite as much. I can feel the high speed rebound spike. I find the forks so good for the terrain I ride that I am afraid to have those issues fixed. I can hit so much stuff off square with no deflection. The shock is great. All my pumpkin head friends are impressed on how srtaight it goes in the rocks.

I am in the market for another gasser to complement my 200. It will be a 250 or 300. I was going to stick with an 07 or 08 just to get the zokes.

I am B enduro rider from New England 165 pounds. We ride fairlly slow stuff. Very technical. Rocky, Rocky ,Rocky. The kind of terrain that if the mags say the suspention is good chances are it is to stiff.

I have read every post on here in regards to the new 09 suspention (EC and Racing). I think it is safe to say that it is stiffer and does deflect some. I dont want that.
Can the 09 Stuff be valved (LTR)to be just as good as my 06. Can the 09 bike be made to handle as well as the 06. Is it silly for me to exclude 09 bikes in my search for a new ride. Are you guys that ride 09 in the tough stuff happy with your new bikes or wish for the older suspension.

ED

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM

The 08 and 09s turn a bit quicker than my 05 (which already turns quicker than any KTM I've ridden).

You'd be well served to call Les at LTR directly. He is a wealth of knowledge and schooled me on the way-stiff Race versions that have had issues with the shock.

I found that respringing my shock and fork one tick heavier (I'm 200 dry) was a major benefit. LTR did the work. He revalved the components for rocks and fixed the rebound issues with the 05.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Ed,

I'm sure the Sachs fork can be easily tuned for your riding style. It's just a matter of digging into them and making some tweaks. So you shouldn't let this be a major hangup for you on the 2009 or 2010.

If you do wish to buy a used 2007 or 2008, my 2007 EC250 will be going up for sale in the future. I weigh the same as you and my bike is setup for Michigan singletrack. We don't have near the rocks as you guys, so my bike may still be too stiff. On the other hand, your a B-rider and are hitting stuff faster than me... so perhaps it would be fine. In any case, if you interested in a nice '07 EC250, I have one sitting in my garage and going on the market soon. Just FYI...

Send me a PM if your interested.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM

Ed,

I'm a B rider and ride rocks. All of my bikes were revalved, but the '07 GG250 was the closest, and totally ridable out of the crate. Actually, the biggest flaw was the fast rebound, and thats an easy fix. If anything, there will be a learning curve revalving the Sachs for NETRA and ECEA rocks, but I suspect its similar to the Ohlins fork, as the shocks are similar. If the cartridge size, damper rod OD, and piston design (all the flow characteristics) are similar to the Ohlins, it should be possible to just start with valving that works there. I would call Les and talk to him, he'll give you a no BS answer.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Personally I would get the newest bike I could afford to buy. Both forks have issues and really need revalving for New England. If it was me I would take the 48mm Sachs forks and have Javier at Trail Tricks work his magic. Yeah he's in CA but rides the same type of crap as us up in northern CA. He's also got 2 Gassers he's been working with so he knows them now. JMHO FWIW
Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Personally I would get the newest bike I could afford to buy. Both forks have issues and really need revalving for New England. If it was me I would take the 48mm Sachs forks and have Javier at Trail Tricks work his magic. Yeah he's in CA but rides the same type of crap as us up in northern CA. He's also got 2 Gassers he's been working with so he knows them now. JMHO FWIW
Javi does good work with 'zokes as well as wp's. and yes he rides rocks...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Stay away from the 09 bikes.

Has anyone tried getting a different spring for the sachs rear shock ? - I have - Impossible

The sachs front forks on the 09s are crap also. Fork springs not easily obtained either.

The 06 or 07 with the ohlins / marzocchis are the best GG enduro bikes available at the moment in my opinion.

Spend money servicing what you have. GG made a mistake by going Sachs/Sachs and it has lost customers as a result.
I haven't ridden a 2010 bike so cannot comment on those.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM

I disagree with you, fergus. The 09 I rode in Greece last year (Sachs on both ends) was absolutely awesome. The best Gasser, and best GasGas suspensions, I've ever ridden. I liked the Sachs forks over the 43mm WPs on my 01 EC200, the 48mm Ohlins on my 07 and any bike with the 45mm Marzocchis.

Try it for yourself. Some people love the Sachs, others hate it. Personally, I'm a big fan and consider it a selling point. I wouldn't want a bike with the 45mm Marzocchis.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM

The Sachs shock is fine, same spring as a Husky Sachs, and I'm pretty sure a Yamaha KYB spring fits. I used a 5.4 spring from my brother's '02 Husky WR250 that was on the shelf for years. Why should it be impossible to get a spring? Can't comment on the forks, but from what I hear its just a matter of breakin and valving. If anything was lost, it would be the "out of the crate" ridability of the bike with the fork for a range of riders. I wouldn't call a component crap just because its valved wrong for me, only if it can't be valved correctly.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
I disagree with you, fergus. The 09 I rode in Greece last year (Sachs on both ends) was absolutely awesome. The best Gasser, and best GasGas suspensions, I've ever ridden. I liked the Sachs forks over the 43mm WPs on my 01 EC200, the 48mm Ohlins on my 07 and any bike with the 45mm Marzocchis.

Try it for yourself. Some people love the Sachs, others hate it. Personally, I'm a big fan and consider it a selling point. I wouldn't want a bike with the 45mm Marzocchis.
Apart from you, I have heard nobody else ever say that. I used to sell GGs and was sick to death of people complaining to me about their suspension on the 09 bikes. I spent many many hours of my own time trying to rectify these problems (free of charge) for my customers and myself. The support from GG was next to useless.

Maybe you got a specially set-up bike when in Greece or maybe you ride hard enough to bypass the harshness, but for 95% of the people, the stock Sachs forks on the 09s are too harsh and deflect like crazy. Period.

Believe me, it pains me to say anything bad about the GG bikes. I love them and they are really rewarding to ride. I just don't want regular leisure riders to go and spend their money and be disappointed.