Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM

That’s a new one.

https://motocenteraz.com

The web site lists Mesa (east side).

The other Gas Gas dealer is Screwie Lewie?s on the north side by Deer Valley Airport. SL is also a Husky dealer.

Last edited by AZRickD; 12-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
That?s a new one.

https://motocenteraz.com

The web site lists Mesa (east side).

The other Gas Gas dealer is Screwie Lewie?s on the north side by Deer Balley Airport. SL is also a Husky dealer.
I knew SL was carrying the '17 Gas Gas enduro and trials bikes. I have not been down there to see if they have any of the '18 models in stock. Did not know we had two dealers in town
Old 11-29-2017, 03:43 PM

I saw Lewie?s smiling face at the Gas Gas display at last month?s Wnduro Cross at West World in Scottsdale.

If I were in the market for a 2T, a 2018-19 GG would be in the hunt.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:12 PM

@coopernicus: thx for the ride report, most appreciated. Coming from KTM, I only rode KTM's till today, I immediately liked the GG 300/18. Unfortunately I couldnt ride on yet, so there are some questions which you may think are weird but are important for a slow old man like me.
First I am interested how much the Gasser's engine vibrates. needless to say that I havent seen anything that comes even close to my 17 Kato 300 which is most likely due to the fact that it has a balancer shaft.
Second thing is how hard or light is the clutch pull? Over here in Europe we're riding slower tracks but technically demanding, so clutch pull can be an issue. A point where KTM really shines.

Last but not least the GG's starter motor is not exactly the ideal solution. I have heard it fails often when in gear. Not sure if thats true as the former Kato starters were exactly the same and at least mine (well serviced) never failed.

Sorry for my bad English.

CU Doc

PS Hi everyone :-)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
@coopernicus: thx for the ride report, most appreciated. Coming from KTM, I only rode KTM's till today, I immediately liked the GG 300/18. Unfortunately I couldnt ride on yet, so there are some questions which you may think are weird but are important for a slow old man like me.
First I am interested how much the Gasser's engine vibrates. needless to say that I havent seen anything that comes even close to my 17 Kato 300 which is most likely due to the fact that it has a balancer shaft.
Second thing is how hard or light is the clutch pull? Over here in Europe we're riding slower tracks but technically demanding, so clutch pull can be an issue. A point where KTM really shines.

Last but not least the GG's starter motor is not exactly the ideal solution. I have heard it fails often when in gear. Not sure if thats true as the former Kato starters were exactly the same and at least mine (well serviced) never failed.

Sorry for my bad English.

CU Doc

PS Hi everyone :-)
Hey Doc Brown. Welcome to the Forum!!

It seems like not many have ridden both an '18 Gasser and a balancer shaft Katoom.

I've heard from one person who has, and I've sat on a running balanced Katoom but didn't get a chance to actually ride it.

I know this sounds unlikely and fanboyish. But the lack of engine vibes in the new Gasser motor is unnatural. Its crazy smooth. I'd guess near or equal to the katoom based on my feel. The guy I know who has ridden both agrees with me.
I have no idea how they did it. But its really smooth.

As for the starter I can't say how it is for long term use. But the current reports are that it works perfectly assuming the wires have been fixed if it was a "first batch" bike.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

On Thursday, Deb and I were returning south to home from a trip up in the Branson, MO area. As we went through Harrison, Arkansas, we took a side trip to GodFather's Powersports to check out the new 2018 EC300 in person.

The bike looks very sanitary, and pretty. (I already knew that from all the photos and ride reports I have seen. But, it looked even better in person.)

The seat height is taller than my 2011, or any of the older model GasGas bikes I have owned. Not too tall, as I could still easily kick a leg over without kicking the rear fender, but over an inch higher than the rear fender of my 2011.
I could still touch the balls of my feet to both sides at the same time. (6' with a 32" inseam)

I didn't get to ride, but it felt narrow sitting on it.
I think it will be easy to slide way up onto the tank in tight woods turns.

My final thoughts are:
I wonder if GasGas will be tempted (by KTM) to bring back the gear driven counterbalancer that was in the '96-'98 250cc Gassers. Those were ultra smooth engines, even above 10K rpms.
and...
I wish I wasn't so tempted to buy one.

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Hey Doc Brown. Welcome to the Forum!!

It seems like not many have ridden both an '18 Gasser and a balancer shaft Katoom.

I've heard from one person who has, and I've sat on a running balanced Katoom but didn't get a chance to actually ride it.

I know this sounds unlikely and fanboyish. But the lack of engine vibes in the new Gasser motor is unnatural. Its crazy smooth. I'd guess near or equal to the katoom based on my feel. The guy I know who has ridden both agrees with me.
I have no idea how they did it. But its really smooth.

As for the starter I can't say how it is for long term use. But the current reports are that it works perfectly assuming the wires have been fixed if it was a "first batch" bike.
I own an 18 ec250 and spent as much time as I care to on a 18 TX 300 and in my opinion the GasGas motor is very low on vibration but still not like a KTM/Husky motor. But the GasGas is a much better bike overall out of the box.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 AM

I rode a 2018 Ec300 the other day, so stoked with it that I am trading in my Tm En300. I absolutely love it but I fear I am stuck with an orphan. The gassy felt as close as you could get to a Japanese enduro 2t. So balanced and a super smooth and grunty motor. It also had the no start issue occasionally. From what I have been told about it it is just a simple issue to resolve. Can?t wait to pick it up!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 PM

Took it out for its maiden voyage, very quickly got accustomed to the ergo’s, suspension is awesome out of the box. Added a couple of clicks of damping to the shock. Springs are very close to being in the ball park so I’ll leave them for the time being.
My free pistons firmed up the damping ever so slightly more than the demo I rode due to having a little less freeplay.
I just stuck my favourite needle (n3cj) with the stock jetting and did the float height and it is sweet! Very smooth motor but I do miss the Tm’s rubber mounted bars! They need a tad more height and I‘ll be set!
Starter worked faultlessly every time, but I added some beefier sized leads and wet modded it anyway. I have never liked grease in bendixes anyway. Felt a little dirty using a button and my masculinity has dropped a few points as well!
Very glad I made the swap! I dropped it on the second last rock step for the day but saved any damage by throwing my body under it! It feels like I have some of my bouncy trials skills back too which I thought I’d lost on the Tm, probably due to the smoother and gruntier nature of the gassy motor.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Sorry for the delayed answer guys.

Many thanks for all the information about the new Gasser. That all sounds pretty good to me. We (mate and I) will have a first look at it end of next week. Unfortunately we cant ride it yet, but seems to be only a matter of time.

Concerning the vibes a dealer whom I know since decades said its like the 2015/16 KTM and the 2017KTM's are a bit better but it isnt much.
I found the KTM 2015 (which I had for one season) pretty good, much better than a friends GG 2013 (or 14 cant remember). The GG 2018 seems to be far better...