Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Most people contaminate a plug chop. Especially on a dirtbike.

Easy (?) on a roadrace bike where you can pin it open for many seconds on backstraight. But only if you pull the clutch at the end and push the bike back. Ride it back and you have invalidated the reading. And everybody does that.
I agree if someone isn't going to do it right then a plug chop is useless. I know to not ride mine back and I know most anyone serious about jetting knows this as well. I literally carry a plug and wrench to change it out after I stop. Yes, along side a dirt road I actually change the plug. When I get back to my truck I cut the plugs open right there on my tailgate, make adjustments, throw in another new plug, and do it all again.

Now, about having room to do it, I don't know how things are in NZ but in Arizona I can run a bike pinned wide open for miles, all over the state, so room is not an issue for me.

'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220

Old 07-01-2020, 06:44 PM

I will read more later many thanks to you all. The spark plug looks almost perfect.
It is the org spark plug Denso W24ESR-U Now I have changed spark plug and put in an NGK B8EG.
I am thinking that a BR7EG can make it better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200701_230304A.jpg (44.4 KB, 24 views)

Cur GasGas GP 300-18, Prev GasGas EC 300 Racing-13, GasGas EC 300-10, GasGas EC 300-07 GasGas EC 300-05, GasGas EC 250-02,Suzuki RM250-98,Suzuki RM250-88, Honda CR250-86, Yamaha YZ400-79, Beta CR125-81, SWM 50-77, Italjet 50-76 www.dufvenberg.com
/Larsa
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I agree if someone isn't going to do it right then a plug chop is useless. I know to not ride mine back and I know most anyone serious about jetting knows this as well. I literally carry a plug and wrench to change it out after I stop. Yes, along side a dirt road I actually change the plug. When I get back to my truck I cut the plugs open right there on my tailgate, make adjustments, throw in another new plug, and do it all again.

Now, about having room to do it, I don't know how things are in NZ but in Arizona I can run a bike pinned wide open for miles, all over the state, so room is not an issue for me.
Haha. Same planet, different worlds. If some pixies stole my 6th gear there are quite a few of our rides that I wouldn't notice its absence.

I'll keep that in the back of my mind as target audience can vary significantly i guess.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 07-02-2020, 03:14 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Is it only the spooge you are concerned about,& otherwise running good?
Leave the plug heat range as is.It would be rare to need a different heat range & changing it may just be masking another issue.
If there are no underlying issues your jetting should fine,if a little lean (in theory).
Couple of easy checks for elimination-
Check the choke is fully disengaging.
Check Power valve is operating correctly & fully opening.
Repack the muffler to remove the oil soaked packing.
Put some fresh gas in with a lower flash point premix.
Go ride the wheels off it.Life is good.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the OEM Densos either. Always had spooge with them, but always been in a new bike while trying to get it dialled so probably just a case of correlation and not confirmation.

Regardless I have changed mine to an NGK so I'll report back when I get a chance to ride some more.

I agree with F5 that most spooge is likely caused by low throttle application. I think it's part and package of the PWK carb. Without a squirt jet, we need to run rich enough that whacking the throttle doesn't hesitate. That means excess fuel.. that means spooge. Running richer also gives a smoother and torquier pull under load and helps keep the engine cool. IMO all the benefits outweigh having to wipe it's bum a bit.

If you run up the rev range further you don't spend as much time in this rich area. You tend to be moving faster allowing the radiators to cool the engine, and you kind of prefer snappy 2 stroke power delivery.

Part of the beast! I still think cutting the exhaust shorter eliminates most of the issues on these new GGs. The can looks like it was built for a 4T.. and without a doubt they run a lot hotter (cherry red headers running in darkness), without the addition of extra lubrication in their fuel.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
I will read more later many thanks to you all. The spark plug looks almost perfect.
It is the org spark plug Denso W24ESR-U Now I have changed spark plug and put in an NGK B8EG.
I am thinking that a BR7EG can make it better?
There is no reason to change the heat range of the plug as the BR8 series plug has been proven to be correct for this engine for years and years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Haha. Same planet, different worlds. If some pixies stole my 6th gear there are quite a few of our rides that I wouldn't notice its absence.

I'll keep that in the back of my mind as target audience can vary significantly i guess.
So true. It is funny how things can be so different even over here in the same state depending on where in that state you are. It's all good though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I agree with F5 that most spooge is likely caused by low throttle application. I think it's part and package of the PWK carb. Without a squirt jet, we need to run rich enough that whacking the throttle doesn't hesitate. That means excess fuel.. that means spooge. Running richer also gives a smoother and torquier pull under load and helps keep the engine cool. IMO all the benefits outweigh having to wipe it's bum a bit.
I do not believe it is due to the PWK in and of itself. I've tuned all versions of the PWK and even the older PJ. I have been able to dial in the jetting on them so there is no spooge, or close to it, on almost every bike except an '18 YZ250X. My older '05 Gasser had zero spooge with a PWK but my '11 with Lectron always had a misting of oil just around the silencer exit but no drips or runs. The YZ is a spooge machine and it goes everywhere. My KDX runs clean as can be.

My current Gasser, the KDX, and YX250X are run on a 40:1 mix of pump premium and Lucas semi-synthetic which has a very low flashpoint (177f IIRC). My other Gasser was 40:1, pump premium, but I ran 927 which has a super high flashpoint of like 420f yet ran cleaner spooge wise. Bikes are ridden the same way on the same terrain yet they behave differently as far as spooge. Go figure.

I personally think it has to do with many factors all coming together. Being jetted a little rich and lugging low speed all the time sure doesn't help. IMO, the design of the particular engine, the silencer design (as discussed in another thread on here recently), the general condition of the engine, and how the bike is ridden all play a part.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Small bore roadracing I'd run 30:1 motul 800 with both pwk and mikuni. The tailpipe you could look down the length and it was light mocha like that plug above.

- Course the only time you got below 10,000 was in the pits.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:12 PM

i would go back to the single base gasket and jet according to the jettingchart here (or by your feel) without looking at spooge.
then i'd look at what oil you're using, and look for an oil with lower flash point (wich is what i also need to do) my ec 200 has even more spooge, but runs superb!
i also have been thinking about getting a hotter plug like br7eg but i'll try a different oil first with a repack of my muffler.
it's no use to give you my carb setting since i have a 200 and yours is a 300.
NECJ/NEDW is fairly lean, some run well, others detonate.
if you get detonation, go for a richer needle.
listen carefully at your engine, feel the character, listen to the exhaust sound changing with different jetting, feel the throttle response.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
NECJ/NEDW is fairly lean, some run well, others detonate.
I don't like that statement to be honest. In the meantime I have jetted two 300's (a 2018 and a 2019-which is mine) using the NECW and they both run well. The NECW is pretty much in the mid range between lean and rich, the NECJ is on the leaner side. The NEDW is half a clip richer than the NECW and goes towards the richer side. And so does the NECH....
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
My current Gasser, the KDX, and YX250X are run on a 40:1 mix of pump premium and Lucas semi-synthetic which has a very low flashpoint (177f IIRC). My other Gasser was 40:1, pump premium, but I ran 927 which has a super high flashpoint of like 420f yet ran cleaner spooge wise. Bikes are ridden the same way on the same terrain yet they behave differently as far as spooge. Go figure.
That puzzles me to be honest. I never had a problem with spooge on any smoker I had. Then I started with the first Gasser (GP 300/18) and the problem appeared. Bought a 2019 EC 300 and it had the same problem. Bought another 2019 EC 300 same problem. Talked to a mate who owns a 2018 GP and a 2019 EC, both 300's and both have the problem. Even with 100:1 they both spooge. He races I am slow, we both have the same amount of spooge.

I tried from 40:1 to 100:1 and nothing changed. My jetting is spot on, the engine is new and runs really well. It is generally believed that oils with higher flash point produce much more spooge than oils with lower flash point. I admit I think that is correct.
However, I run Motul 710 which has a very low flash point and still have tons of spooge Same with three different oils....