Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Default 2006 EC 300 kickstand

I just saw my "new" '06 EC 300 for the first time yesterday, and the mech at the shop where it was delivered warned me about the kickstand.

He showed me how unstable it was while leaning there, then showed me what happens when you kick it up to the stowed position: Whack-CLANG!!!

My last bike 17 yrs ago was a CR125, before that it was an '87 CR250 (best vintage before the '96 model). I've NEVER had a dirt bike with a kickstand, is it really something that is now an accepted standard among "trail" bikes?

And, is the GG stand something less than stable, but is otherwise about as functional as it gets, or are there tech help procedures to correct it?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 PM

The auto retract can be reversed by using a side plate from and old 520 chain to relocate the attaching point of the spring.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

brider
Welcome to the world of the euro side stand.Some guys like lanky said modify it but I put up with it and it ceases to be an issue.The 05/06s were abig improvement from earlier models.
Just ride it.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM

I figure I will just ride it, but does anyone just wire a couple of suitable wood blocks to a milk crate anymore and just swing the bike up? I DID have a good aftermarket stand back in the day, but I remember more vividly the milk-crate. I mean, you need a stand to clean/lube/adjust the chain, right?

I'll figure it out, guys, no need to agonize over this. I'm just recalling my 20-yr-unused habits, first thing I need to do is just ride the thing.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

my main complaint on the gg's has always been the stand.. i put an 08 stand on my 01 and it is better. the 01 stand would fold up like a cheap lawn chair..

i never leave mine long term on the kick stand.. dont trust it at all.. i have it setting on a gg stand..

the 01 is setting on a cheap stand a buddy made... looks crude but is very sturdy..

Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

I actually like the auto retract on my bikes. I prefer the beefier steel kick stand on my 97' then the aluminium stand on my 07'.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I actually like the auto retract on my bikes. I prefer the beefier steel kick stand on my 97' then the aluminium stand on my 07'.
i like the auto retract also... my steel stand was VERY unstable..
that 08 stand on my 01 is alot better... on mine anyway..

i have a real nice scar inside my calf from that steel stand trying to move the bike thru a door one day..
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
seems some of the stand "legs" had a little different kink to them and from experience some work better than others. Also the mount on some (or all?) are tapped for a machine screw to limit how far the stand swings in the down position and it makes a big difference so check to see if yours is broken off. It took me a little tweaking to get both of our bikes correct but I personally think the auto-retract is cool. (pick my bike up, you deserve a whack in the shin LOL) I read somewhere that it was a euro requirement to be street legal (? disclaimer here).
You can always remove it but I like riding with my buddies and not having to find a tree.
Search for the chain-link mod if you want it to act more like a standard kickstand. A little late but welcome to the forum

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)