Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 AM

By the way, I am 5'10" so I don't think ergonomics are going to be an issue for me either way..

You guys have given me a lot of good information and reasons for not taking a bargain. I already knew that GG 2Ts are excellent. That wasn't in question otherwise I wouldn't even consider gg for any $$..

The one thing that really stood out for me is the ktm gas cap issue that Mattr referenced. To me that's kind of a show-stopper - at any cost. Accidents happen but if I knowingly bought a bike with a history of catching the rider on fire I don't think I would be very comfortable riding it. There are too many other good choices out there. Why add any risk?

Thanks for helping to put this in perspective for me..

Old 12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
The one thing that really stood out for me is the ktm gas cap issue that Mattr referenced. To me that's kind of a show-stopper - at any cost. Accidents happen but if I knowingly bought a bike with a history of catching the rider on fire I don't think I would be very comfortable riding it. There are too many other good choices out there. Why add any risk?
You may need to join KTMTalk to view this forum, but here is the main Gas Cap Issue sub-forum. There is so much discussion about this issue that you will get sick of reading it.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=158

With the new locking gas cap, only time will tell if this proceeds to be a problem. KTM has made a marginal effort to bandaid this issue. A good company would have completely changed the design to eliminate all opportunities for failure. The funniest thing is that the 1/4 turn cap was marketed as a quick-refill cap for racing. Now, the locking version takes two hands and lots of effort to get off.

I'm not trying to spread bad publicity about KTM. I'm only trying to inform you of a still potential issue. The bad thing is with '08 bikes, there is no tank replacement option unless the aftermarket companies release one soon.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
You may need to join KTMTalk to view this forum, but here is the main Gas Cap Issue sub-forum. There is so much discussion about this issue that you will get sick of reading it.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=158

With the new locking gas cap, only time will tell if this proceeds to be a problem. KTM has made a marginal effort to bandaid this issue. A good company would have completely changed the design to eliminate all opportunities for failure. The funniest thing is that the 1/4 turn cap was marketed as a quick-refill cap for racing. Now, the locking version takes two hands and lots of effort to get off.

I'm not trying to spread bad publicity about KTM. I'm only trying to inform you of a still potential issue. The bad thing is with '08 bikes, there is no tank replacement option unless the aftermarket companies release one soon.
my rub on that situation is that a recall by KTM would be an admission of sorts... which is typically not how KTM operates (or any other German/Austrian company??)
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
my rub on that situation is that a recall by KTM would be an admission of sorts... which is typically not how KTM operates (or any other German/Austrian company??)

Thats why PDS is still here.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have owned two KTMs, and now three Gas Gas. I have had a 125, and a 250 EXC KTM, and a 200ec, 250 XC, and currently 300 EC Gasser. I have had great pleasure on this forum. The people here are great, it is very good support, and I've never seen such a great bunch. It's also really fun to show up at a race, or a riding area and see another GG rider. Instant buddy.

I think KTM makes a great product. My brother in law just got an '08 300 XCW. The electric starter is a bit overkill, but hey, I'll bet it sells a few more bikes for those who can't figure out how to kickstart the easiest bike in the world to start.

As good as the Katoom is, the Gas Gas is better for me, both in action, and in support.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 PM

i've owned 20 KTM's and now the only bike i own is a GG 300..

For me the GG 300 is a perfect bike, The stock suspension feels great on trails for 175-215lbs riders..

I weight closer to 300 so have spent about $700 on suspension mods but now they are perfect.

It's GG for me from now on i'll be looking into a new 08 depending on the dollar/euro situation..

If i have to pay $7000 for a GG 2 stoke i'll just go back and buy a ktm 300 Estart for that kinda money.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajah View Post
I agree with widebear , apparently gas gas has low resale value but i think that is because gas gas are under estimated and a little un known bikes and dont get the credit they deserve. Every mag test I read states about how good they are , how well they turn and handle and the grunty usuable power( I agree with them). I have an ec300 fantastic bike I love it. People tend to stay with brands they know but most dont even give the others a try, enter Gas Gas. I get asked by people who dont know much about bikes say, "what sort of bike is that" "is it made in china", what an insult. Its obvious when they look at the bike they dont see the standard Ohlins shock, marzochi forks , hebo bars etc, all top quality gear. But people who know , they know the Gasser is good, but maybe they are afraid to stand out from the crowd. I have raced and owned lots of bikes over the years and have owned orange. But when I kicked over the gasser for the first time I was hooked, when I popped the front wheel up in the air in 3rd gear I had a grin a mile wide, never going back. But in the end its up to the individual want bike they want. I couldent find a thing on the net for my Ktm( ie specifications) but I have found so much info on the gasser, from workshop manuals to tuning specs also this site which is fantastic.I think over the next few years we will see more gassers flying around race tracks and trails alike. If in doubt give the gasser a test ride Im sure you will be impressed as I was.
Great post, but there all great posts. I like reading the honest explanations good and bad. You definitely don't see blind brand loyalty from GG riders, most of them are coming from other bikes so they really know what there talking about. Most KTM riders aren't coming from a GG or have even ridden one, so how do they know they are on the best bike for them? But then again, maybe they don't care, maybe it was the cheapest bike for them. How many KTM riders are coming from GG and because of performance and reliability aren't going back to GG? Not many. Just reading forums on several different sites over the years you can see the ratio of riders that go to GG from another brand is more than the ratio coming from GG to another brand.
It's refreshing to read honest opinions instead of the typical "Suzuki is best because RC is winning everything" or "KTM is best because DK is winning everything and the offroad races are a see of orange."
When I buy a new bike in the future I will always keep my options open but for me, everytime I try a buddies other brand bike I find myself leaning towards the GG.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM

" How many KTM riders are coming from GG and because of performance and reliability aren't going back to GG? Not many."

Wow.....thats a thought.......... The total may be Zero ? Guys switch from GG to KTM but not for those 2 reasons
Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Stay with me here

I switched to Gas Gas from a Husqvarna, because I had a Gas Gas dealer right here in my town who was motivated to get me on one.
At the time I was on a 125 WR, and putting the hurt on all the new KTM 200's, and he figured we could help each other. Him by giving me an extra 75cc's, and me helping him by winning on his bike, hopefully selling some for him. It sort of worked out, but I'm sure not like he hoped. I think he thought he would sell a million of them, but you still have to get people to ride it to believe it. I always have people ride my bike, offering it to anyone who seems even remotely interested.

The moral of this story is..... If people actually ride the bike, AND if they're in the market to buy, AND they are confident they can get parts.. Then, and only then will they be willing to buy. Unfortunately for my local dealer, I'd send people in to him, and even knowing that people were leary of the "new" Gas Gas, he wanted to sell the bikes at full retail, no discount, all the while, you could go down the street and buy a KTM for $1000 less because the KTM dealer was dealing to get people on his bikes. I think it really takes a dealer who wants the bikes out there, even if it means he makes no profit on the bikes. I'm sure my dealer was trying to bridge the gap that he lost while giving me a bike, but that should be a consideration too.

I hope that wasn't too far off topic, but it really is a story of KTM VS. GG, which one? For many, it's fear of the unknown versus the much loved (by magazines), and highly visible KTM.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs