Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Default lower footpegs/ Yamaha interchange

I finally got my GG MC250. Before I bought it, I was aware that some people feel crowded on these bikes and saw some aftermarket footpegs that were lower and further back, but I can't recall who made them. A dealer told me the cheaper way to go was with yamaha pegs, but I don't know which ones and how they compare to the aftermarket, or how much room any of them will give me.

I'm 5'11",190lbs and size 11 shoe, and have talked to guys over six foot that said they were comfortable on the GG. My first ride, I had to change into my Timberlands because my riding boot wouldn't fit under the shift lever and I cracked the right radiator shroud mount with my knee.

Any help on this? I'd rather go the Yamaha route if they do the same thing as the ones that are lower and further back and price is right, but I don't even know where to get those. Any info will be appreciated.
Matt

Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 AM

Matt,

The Yamaha YZ footpegs fit the GasGas. The standard height Yamaha pegs are positioned just like the stock GasGas pegs.

I have the IMS pro series on my '06 EC300. They are standard height.

I have the Fastway pegs that switch between standard and Lowboy on my '01 XC300.

The Fastway pegs run in the lowboy position have 2 issues. First, the pegs and your boots will hit way more rocks, roots, stumps and other objects while riding. The small difference in peg height made a big difference for me on how much abuse my pegs and feet take. Even though I am 6 ft tall, weigh 270 geared up and have size 13 boots, I run the pegs in the standard position. Second, in the lowboy position the kickstart lever hits the peg just past the protective stop pad on the kick start lever. The kickstart lever will sustain damage unless you provide some other protection.

The Fastway pegs would not fold up more than about 20 degrees from horizontal on my ’06 EC300 due to brake pedal interference.

Both the IMS and Fastway pegs are very tough. They are far tougher than the stock GG pegs, which only last a short while for me before they are mangled. The IMS and Fastway pegs have many hours of getting smashed against rocks, roots, stumps, etc. and have held up quite well.

To deal with the shift lever access, I suggest you adjust your shift lever up instead.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Shift lever

Erik
I tried adjusting the shift lever, and it hits the sprocket guard and my foot is still too tight in there. Maybe they gave me a mini lever from the factory. The brake pedal height and length seem normal and would seem abnormal if I lowered the peg.

My bike sat around for two years before I bought it. I'm starting to think the lever was swapped with something else that fit. If you're that much bigger than me and you have no problem, there's something wrong.

I've got 4 3/8" between the inside edge of the shift tip and the closest edge of the footpeg and the shift tip is slightly higher than the footpeg and barely touches the sprocket guard on an upshift. Can you tell me what your distance is and then maybe I'll know what direction to go in? I think I wound up with the wrong shift lever.

Thanks
Matt
Old 11-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I found the splines on the shifter to be "coarse" - if you move it one position up - it is way too high...

I believe they went to a new shifter profile in '06? Most find the shifter to be too low on previous model years.

One solution is to go with lower pegs - I went with fastways on my '01 - my buddy Les at lt-racing ground off the corner of the peg so that it would clear the brake pedal. I found the peg to shifter relationship to be perfect for me - size 10 boot.

The other solution is to use a shifter off of the 125 model. It is "higher" and slightly longer than stock. I have spare one of these kicking around - PM me if you would like to give it a try. I am fairly sure gasgasman here is running this shifter with stock height pegs - if you need feedback - suggest you drop him a PM.

jeff
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have the Fastway pegs and really like the wider platform. I initially bought them to get the "lowboy" position. After riding around, I found that my feet felt strange being moved backward from the standard position. As the pegs move downwards in "lowboy" position, they also move backwards a little bit. This may help you get under your shifter, but I could never get used to it. As I rode, I felt my feet slide forward into the more "standard" position and ended up with the peg under my heels. Since then, I have reinstalled the pegs back to standard position and have been very happy. It's all a personal taste thing, but I thought that I would share my experiences.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

There are 2 different length levers. If you have big feet you could use the longer lever. Also dont be afraid to bend it to fit.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 PM

yes, there is two lengt of the levers...the longer, it`s a 125 cc lever and shorter is older than 2005 200-250-300 lever..

on a 2006 they start to use that 126 lever on these bigger bikes too.. it`s about 1 inch longer than early 200-250-300 levers.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Default lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasmonaut View Post
yes, there is two lengt of the levers...the longer, it`s a 125 cc lever and shorter is older than 2005 200-250-300 lever..

on a 2006 they start to use that 126 lever on these bigger bikes too.. it`s about 1 inch longer than early 200-250-300 levers.

About how much difference is there in the lengths of the older 125cc and 250cc etc lever? I was offered a 125cc to try, just wondering if it would make a big difference. The 06 lever sounds like the ticket. I called Gofasters today and everyones on vacation.
Matt
Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 AM

Matt,

On my '06 EC300 the distance is 5 inches from the back of the shift tip to the front of the footpeg. The shift tip is about level with the top of the footpeg.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
Matt,

On my '06 EC300 the distance is 5 inches from the back of the shift tip to the front of the footpeg. The shift tip is about level with the top of the footpeg.

Eric,
I assume this measurement was done with the Fastway pegs installed. From your prior post it sounds you are using the Fastways now. If so, then the new shift lever is about 1 inch longer.

FYI...
I have the stock shift lever and Fastway pegs. The distance from back of the shift tip to front of the footpeg = 4 inches.