Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Studded Trelleborgs hits my right thigh

During the second training of the new year it happened. Temperature around the freezing point, some ice on the puddles, 10 cm of wet snow on the ground. I rode up a steep hill and nearly made it to the top. Fell backwards, downwards and landed on top of the bike. Got my right thigh between the rear tyre and the rear mudguard while still holding on to the throttle. It took a couple of seconds before I got around to closing the throttle so the Rekluse could disengage.

This experience shows:
The Trelleborg spikes chew up the Thor Flux pants really quick. When the pants (and thin wool pants inside them) were gone, it ripped my Thor Force knee protector's straps right off. From then on, it was Trelleborg spikes vs flesh and blood. Needless to say, my thigh fared worse than my rear Trelleborg...

The rear of my knee-long woolen shorts looked like this.

I went to see the doctor, and she cleaned and bandaged the wound. All in all it went fairly well, no permanent damage apart from a scar, the doctor told me. Its not deep, but quite painful, I anticipate it will be so for some time.
I presume that was the end of January's riding.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Ouch that hurts even thinking about it...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Ouch ! No damage done mind. And the attention of a female doctor is always welcome isnt it....... And thank god: NO GORY PICTURES !

I take it you didnt damage the tyre.......
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM

What! Just get back riding...

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfourate View Post
Ouch ! No damage done mind. And the attention of a female doctor is always welcome isnt it....... And thank god: NO GORY PICTURES !

I take it you didnt damage the tyre.......
The tyre is completely undamaged! The bike is ready for the next training session as soon as I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTimppa View Post
What! Just get back riding...

When it hurts you know you're allive!
Yes, now I know I'm alive

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM

A similar injury happened to a friend of mine (Ron) a few years ago. We were in a dual sport event and during one road section, I slowed from 90+kmh to about 60kmh for a rail crossing. He was behind me, fiddling with his GPS and not paying full attention to what was ahead of him. He ran into me and his leg got pulled in by my rear tire. It pulled him right off of his bike and at the same time his bike(now riderless) became attached to mine on an angle such that it was trying to go to the right while I was trying to go straight ahead.
Somehow I didn't crash and was able to get everything slowed to a halt and was forced to drop the whole mess in the middle of the road about 80 feet after the impact. Ron's thigh was between my rear tire and the shock the whole time and he got the enjoyment of being dragged across a set of RR tracks as well. That made some kinda noise I'll tell you: a knobby tire grinding away on things it's not supposed to.....He was wearing a new Speed and Strength jacket and pants combo and it was shredded pretty bad in various places.
The back of his thigh was pretty messy, as an area about the size of an iPhone had all the skin removed by my rear knobby. Thank god I didn't have a studded tire on...........yikes!
He did walk it off and we got him patched up and he chose to keep riding........
Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Similar happened to me also last spring.. We ride on hard packed snowmobile trail and i found some spot what is soft :/ I maded OTB in speed about 60km/h and rear studded tire rips little my ass =D No need doctor, i was lucky