Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

To add the head mod should reduce squish to about 1mm but also parallel to the piston which it is not.

Read my head mod thread with a search.

Of course we are talking idle when warm. Always a bit ropey when cold but that's only at the start of the day.

Laughed (and felt guilty) PSCook. Not the fist time the flimsy silencer perforated tube had displaced or collapsed. Hardly expected. .

'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)

Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Laughed (and felt guilty) PSCook. Not the fist time the flimsy silencer perforated tube had displaced or collapsed. Hardly expected. .
Don't feel guilty, I had a good chuckle after a good long face palm. What's the point of research if you can't find the resolution? And, it's much (MUCH) better to resolve it myself than to have to source out the troubleshooting at $$$$ per hour.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Regarding the bad idle, maybe you should look for obstructions in the reed cage and boot section https://youtu.be/bUEfs3cOI9s

muellersq
Old 04-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Slide height should be exactly or near to 2mm and you fix this with the idle screw.
Also check what metering rod you have. Before ordering the smartcarb searching the net for info I read about lots of 2strokes working with Q11 rod but mine came from them with Q09 rod which is richer.Gas Gas have also bigger jets than Ktm's for example as from stock.
Fingers crossed mine is working surprising well for it's first hours.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosZ1000 View Post
Slide height should be exactly or near to 2mm and you fix this with the idle screw.
Also check what metering rod you have. Before ordering the smartcarb searching the net for info I read about lots of 2strokes working with Q11 rod but mine came from them with Q09 rod which is richer.Gas Gas have also bigger jets than Ktm's for example as from stock.
Fingers crossed mine is working surprising well for it's first hours.
The Gas Gas uses bigger jets because it uses a 38mm carb vs a 36mm on the Ktm. Bigger carb = lower air velocity = less fuel picked up = larger jet required to supply similar volume of fuel.

I'm well off the mark with where smart carb is up to. I had a 38mm billet and could never get it to run right. I might look at sending it back for an update at some point. Been sitting in storage a long time while both my bikes have their stock carbs in use.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The Gas Gas uses bigger jets because it uses a 38mm carb vs a 36mm on the Ktm. Bigger carb = lower air velocity = less fuel picked up = larger jet required to supply similar volume of fuel.

I'm well off the mark with where smart carb is up to. I had a 38mm billet and could never get it to run right. I might look at sending it back for an update at some point. Been sitting in storage a long time while both my bikes have their stock carbs in use.
You are correct and believe me I have read your troubles with smart carb thoroughly in your thread and together with some other information I found around the web I was very skeptic at first but every bit of info I found was at least 2 - 3 years old when the changes from apt to tech elevated happened and the product was still new without the new cast model in line.
What made me to give it a try was some recent posts I read from people who use them both on dirt bikes and snow bikes (mostly) and on newer posts more and more of them went that way.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

I hear you.

Time passes and things develop. Lots of data was gathered once APT rolled out the early models and they were all over addressing issues, updating models, and working with customers to get things running right.

While I could find flaws in the product, I couldn't in the service. Being in Australia it took time though, waiting on parts, and even more so if I was to send the whole carb back for updates. Introduce a 2nd child to the family around the same time and riding was more important than tinkering. Easier to go with what worked.

Like you, I also get great economy out of the PWK.

Also had a Lectron of similar vintage to play with, got similar economy, similar power, and similar issues with finding the sweet spot (metering rod position + boost jet).
Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 AM

I was very pleased by my pwk except the fact that my bike had lost it's torque with the particular setup I had, it had a steady idle nice revving and great fuel economy for a gasser. The thing is that I live in Athens where altitude is sea to 800 meters (there it worked excellent) but we have many friendly races and events around Greece (different conditions) where the bike needed tinkering and as you said with two kids and a very time consuming job, time is limited.
I am also far away from them and having things shiped from US is money and time consuming for me as well.
I was sold by the new gasser but after reading about only 3000 units production (next model said that will have a new motor as well) and the fact that the 2stroke scene is going efi I think I will wait 1-2 more years and buy a new one but I really want to keep this one.
Finally I think (and really hope) I am one of the lucky ones who have the carb working good.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Well I finally got my head cut. I called the most local shop I could, Bill Bune in Minnesota. I talked for a bit, and they seemed knowledgeable. They actually wanted the piston as well so they could change the squish angle to 2 degrees from the piston dome angle. They recommended .040" squish clearance, to which I said perfect. I went through all the extra trouble to pull my jug, drain coolant, etc. 2 weeks go by, and I was out hunting. I had killed a turkey just 10 minutes earlier, and I was packing up when they called. The guy said my squish angle was 15 degrees, and my piston 10. As well my squish was about .090" (Which is true, I measured my solder tests before I sent them). I said, cool, please CC the head so I can keep the compression the same. Guy says he plain cant do it. The clearance is too big (no S&!t, that's why I sent it in), and there is nothing he can do for my squish angle. I said talk to your boss and call me back when you figure something out. Later that day I get a call from another guy saying my head was ready, should he ship it back. I told him that it couldn't be, I was told it was impossible. I talked with the original guy and he had cut my head down .030", and cut some of the dome out. I should have took a picture. All they did was put it in a lathe, and spend about 30 minutes cutting it. They never did CC my head, but they sure took my $100. What they did, I could have done myself on any lathe, and should have. Absolute waste of time and money. Do not use Bill Bune in Minnesota.

Anyway I got it back together, and running. Its not quite ready for a ride yet, but first impressions are not great. It pretty much runs the same, has to idle high or it dies.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

OK you need to measure the compression ratio right now. Read my head thread, its not hard, but clearly they could have put you crook.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)