Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Default GasGas small fit vs others true? Sizing changes over the years?

Hello,
I did a search for this but could not find an exact answer. I'm extremely small at only 5'4 and 130lbs. I have heard over and over that GasGas bikes fit smaller than other brands(except maybe Sherco). I'm interested only in small displacement models: 200cc, but knowing your experience with bigger models is also food for thought.

Defining sizing: Standover vs reach. The Standover is convenient for stopping, but I guess the "reach" fit(once riding, the horizontal distance for the rider to reach the bars) matters most.

1) Do you guys find your GasGas bikes to actually fit smaller than a KTM or Husqvarna for example? Specs list GasGas lower by .75-1.75" standover. How about the "reach" when you're riding? Please let met me know year the bike is, as well.

2) Did GasGas change the sizing of their bikes change over the years? Are the latest models (2011-12) necessarily bigger or smaller than older models?

Thank you very much for any help. It is difficult to find a small enough dirt bike for somebody my size, and that is specifically why I'm interested in GasGas(along with its performance). If you have any other brand recommendations, please let me know! Thank you! -Ron

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM

I'm 5'8" and 165#. I've been on my '03 GG300 for 7 years. I have a tall seat and "mini-high" bars. It fits me well.
We ride rocky/hilly terrain.
When I ride my buddy's 2010 KTM 300 if feels "long" to me. I feel more "attached" to the GG.
I would be fine with the KTM, I'm sure. I seemed to be able to carry the same speed. It just feels different.
Just my $.02
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM

I had the 2010 GG 300 and loved the fit. The bars have two positions for mounting them. I found the reach from the seat to bars a little to close with the bars in the back position. At 5' -7" myself I felt better with them in the forward position. So I would think for you having the bars in the back position it may be the perfect fit. The seat was also lower than my Huskys by a lot. It was the most comfortable lay out of any full size bike I've been on. I don't know of any other bike that would work better for a smaller rider out of the box. Great bikes check one out.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM

My 2 cents. Forget a Husqvarna unless you go with a pre 09 model 124/144 I am 5 foot 7 inches and anything Husqvarna 09 or up Ihave had professionaly lowered 1 inch and they are still pretty tall. MUCH MUCH taller then a pre 12 Gasser and quite a bit taller then a 12 Gasser. From what I remember it was Paul Edmunson that helped with Gas Gas and he is well 5 foot 7!! The pre 12 is compact and crowded feeling compared to a 12 or newer version, but will inspire confidence. There are also lowering links if really needed. Sounds to me since you are on the short size and 11 or older Gas Gas with proper front and rear springs may be the ticket! The 12 and up I feel feels superior to the old design, but the old design is also a proven winner! The KTMS (I have to be careful as I dislike KTM very much) Are taller and feel longer then a Gas Gas. But shorter then a new Husqvarna. The old Husky 125's are not bad and cheap, but if you lack experience the additional bottom end torque of a 200 Gas Gas will help you out. In my opinion the durabilty and build quality would be better on a Gasser or Husky then a KTM. Parts should not be a problem for any of these (Husky future????) Good luck in your choice!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM

I would look for a pre 07 ktm 200. super light and more compact. I don't care how light people say a bike feels when it's rolling. Sometimes you still have to pick them up. I have an 06 GG300, an 11 KTM 300, and 2 05 KTM 200's. Just got rid a an 09 Husky 144. the 200 is lightest most nimble bike I've ever ridden, including 125's
Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Defining sizing: Standover vs reach. The Standover is convenient for stopping, but I guess the "reach" fit(once riding, the horizontal distance for the rider to reach the bars) matters most.
For standover and reach, the Gas Gas 200/250/300 will be the same. The frames, suspension and engine cases are the same - a 300 engine will go straight into a 200 chassis of the same era.

Is the bike intended for trail riding or racing ? That would define the balance of priorities between standover and reach. Suspension performance v's ergonomics et c.

Is the KTM Freeride a good option for smaller riders ? There seems to be differences of opinion about it.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

My wife who is 5'4" and 115lbs soaking wet, rides a 97' GasGas 250. Standover is perfect for her and so are the ergos. And when it falls she has no problems picking it up. It is sprung as close as possible for her weight, it still might be a little stiff because I can't find springs for her weight, but I know when I sit on it it feels like its going to bottom out.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 03-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 AM

Hey GasGas community, thank you very much for the help! I will be using this bike weekly at the local ORV which I hear can be quite technical, steep, and tight. However, I want to get competitive with competing at Washington's Hare Scrambles and offroad races like the "Desert 100".

So if I'm hearing it correctly, GasGas stretched out the 2012s and newer 200-300xc/ec frames? The standover is still listed at 37, like the earlier years.

Are the 2 handlebar position(forward and further back) only available on certain years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
I would look for a pre 07 ktm 200. super light and more compact. I don't care how light people say a bike feels when it's rolling. Sometimes you still have to pick them up. I have an 06 GG300, an 11 KTM 300, and 2 05 KTM 200's. Just got rid a an 09 Husky 144. the 200 is lightest most nimble bike I've ever ridden, including 125's
Yeah, it seems like those earlier 200exc/xcw models had a very low seat height at 36.4". Did your pre '07 KTM 200 fit smaller, reach-wise, when you were riding than your GasGas 300?

Thanks, again, for everybody's help.

Last edited by RonC; 03-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Given that you are in Washington State - think about sending your suspension to Les at LT-Racing for suspension work and lowering. He is located near bremerton. Details on suspension work and lower are here :

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/body_s...ensionLowering

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/body_s...ensionLowering

Note that, while he has the fork apart for the revalve - because he has his own machine tools on site - the incremental cost to shorten the fork and shock is about $100.

I am 5'9 with very short legs - I say that I am 5'4" from the waist down. On some bikes - it is much more comfortable for me to have it shortened an inch.

I had my xr250 trail bike shortened an inch - it has marzocchi front and ohlins rear... Les' has a nearly identical bike with Ohlins and both ends. It surprised me that it made it alot more fun in the corners as well as making it more confidence inspiring when I had to deal with slow going nasty terrain where I have to "dab".

jeff

p.s. Disclosure - Les is a very good friend of mine so I have *very* biased! ;-)
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the tip about LTR. I have heard so many good things about Les on this board from people all over and was surprised to see that he is fairly local. On all my donwhill race bikes, I loved tinkering around with not just spring rates, but spring rate curves(via air volume reduction/increase), and the usual rebound, hi and low speed compression. Ohlins even partnered up with a bicycle components company to make the first twin tube shock with independent hi/lo speed rebound and hi/lo speed compression adjustments. I can definitely see how LTR's experience and workmanship with revalving, alone, can completely change how a bike behaves.(I wonder how many bad bike reviews/experiences are simply bikes without the right springrate). I already sent him an email last night. Thanks.

Last edited by RonC; 03-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Tags
gasgas sizing, gasgas small