Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Default 2012 300 Review......WOW!!

OK guys, after reading some postings on this forum that tend to focus on a few of the petty shortcomings of the 2012 I figured that I would take the time to come on here and throw in my two cents about the new 2012 300 Race Model. I will start this review by saying that if you are on the fence about purchasing, or considering choosing another brand because the wait time is longer than expected then you are making a huge mistake. This bike is worth the wait.

The amount of time that I have on the bike basically consists of one race, an 80 mile enduro in NJ that due to a burn happy club didn't end well. (that's a whole other story) I can honestly say that in all my years of racing I have never come across a bike that is so race ready right out of the box. The only thing that I did to prep it were add Hand guards, rad braces and a BRP chain guide and sprung it for my weight.

Ill hit on a few upgrades to the bike that haven't really been mentioned too much that stand out and make the bike a big improvement over previous models.

New Linkage/Chassis: WOW does this bike handle well. The taller stance and better ground clearance make rutted corners no problem. Dragging foot pegs is a thing of the past. It seems very well balanced and the new linkage keeps the wheel on the ground better producing much more out of corner traction.

Magura Clutch: I am a clutch fanatic and the new master cylinder gives a much more consistent and smooth feel.

Rear Brake Pedal: Gives a much more "tight", positive feel. Stiff spring helps fight brake dragging.

Seat: The seat is flatter and taller. Aside from being much more comfortable it gives you more a feeling of sitting on the bike than in it.

Looks: People couldn't stop looking at the thing I had several people come back for a second round of looking at it just to take pictures. I can assure you if you own one of these you will have the best looking bike at the races.

Ill finish up by saying that if the radiator shrouds popping out of the grommets is going to keep you from buying the bike then shame on you. That thing can flap in the breeze all day for all I care. (by the way mine never came out once)

The only Issue that I had all day is the the jetting seemed to be a bit rich for my liking but I'm sure I can sort that out pretty quick.

If you guys have any questions about setup or the 2012 in general ill try to help out the best I can. Maybe I can take a little heat off of Clay. haha

-Jeff

Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Nice write up Jeff. It sounds great. I, for one, will welcome not dragging footpegs.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Melik View Post
...gives you more a feeling of sitting on the bike than in it.
Does it still retain that feel of the old gasgas chassis? or has it become more KTM-ish in terms of feel.
Im only referring to what it feels like to sit/stand on. I hate riding the 09era KTM chassis, just because it feels weird to stand on that bike, all fat around the ankles....
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Noobi i have found mine to feel similar in the stance i am while standing up but it has got a lot better stability while your up

What jetting are you trying jeff? I have put 42p n3cj#3 175m and it seems to lug well and certainly livens her up
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Noobi, I wouldn't say it feels like a ktm at all. (I don't like the feel of a ktm at all) to me it Feels More like a Japanese bike. It feels slim and less cramped than the 11 to me.

NATO, I tried a few different combos. I think my pilot and main are good at 42 and 75 but the stock needle seems too rich and I have an nc3h hat seems too lean.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

The N3CH#3 should put you right about on the money (for approx 500M and 15C-25C). N3EH#3 is half a clip richer. Most find the bikes will be cleaner off the bottom using a W/J diameter needle than the H but the difference once set with the right pilot is minimal. The N3xx needles are leaner towards WOT than the stocker as well so to keep the same top end you'd want to look at sizing up the main one. The N3xx does tend to give a pretty big transition from mid to top though. Much harder hitting than the stocker.

Fasntic review and some great feedback! Seems very much in line with what all the other lucky 2012 owners are saying!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Default I'll Take Footpeg Dragging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelaston View Post
Nice write up Jeff. It sounds great. I, for one, will welcome not dragging footpegs.
...in order to touch a foot when stopped.

At 5'6", I opted for a '10 solely for the lower seat height.

But its great to hear that GG has kept the handling crisp and the ergos pleasing. I loved my orange 300's, but after a couple of months on my Gasser, the Orange bikes really do feel "wierd." The best way I can describe it is they don't feel as natural.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Spot on Jeff...
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Preaching to the choir...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM

I don't think the shrouds will keep anyone off the bike, it was just a quirk being discussed and easily fixed. Only thing in my mind deterring people is the delivery delays and thats beyond the control of everyone downstream of the factory. And yes, an orange bike feels nasty after ten plus years on GGs.