Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Default I love my Gasser - again..

Just completed the Chiltern Hills 2 + 2 hour Hare and hounds and my bike was the dogs. (05 300EC).

With the jetting working sweet it only needed 1 gear in the woods and sounded great with enough smooth power out of the corners to accelerate quick but still smooth enough in real greasy conditions to hook up. This also meant if following a slower rider if an opportinity to pass came up a twist of the throttle was all that was needed and was a huge advantage passing people in the woods as there would be no time to change gear on a less powerful bike or not for me anyway.

On the fast grassy section this was a joy for the 300 every lap I was overtaking people left right and centre. I could overtake late on the brakes into corners and overtake on power out of corners and on top speed as well! That includes out-dragging every 4 stroke I came across (a lot) and quads as well (they are pretty fast on flat smooth grass!). If I had more corner speed then I just shot past them like they didn't exist but a lot of good riders were exiting at a similar speed to me but they were still eaten by the 300.

The other area was really steep short hills, sometimes very greasy. Here I could just pick a high gear and get the throttle well open and the rear would find traction to get me up whilst making a lovely induction roar.

Results aren't out yet but I enjoyed the event so much I'm a winner any way. Bring on the next event!

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

got to ride my 01 xc300 saturday just trail riding, we rode 4 hrs and only went 20 miles.... goat trailing.... and rock climbing... the 300 is the funnest bike I have ever been on.. hands down..
It is an awesome machine
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 AM

Fast Grassy part of the track, trials tyre seemed to have plenty of grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE130708_542 (Medium) (Small).JPG (48.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM

2nd in my (open) class - that's my best result ever!

1st in my class was an Aprilia RXV 450 and then the usual orange.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Good Job!! On a 3 yr old bike no less!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM

went out twice this weekend, friday with a new ktm450, a crf150 and a young dr400. ran a trail with them they described as " weve made it up once on a 4t, never on a 2t, and never without boiling" let them go up first, the lead made it first try, just barely starting to get too hot, ktm, and honda stalled out, and i just rode up it like it wasnt there. no major temp changes even.
just like a truck!
last night i went out with 2 new sport quads, both yamis, both 4t. went to a place id never been, very nice trail, garbage cans, permanent markers. i had to wait on them every 2 or three minutes id be so far ahead i could barely hear them. the best part was when we pulled up to a cattle guard. not the kind in the road, but an arch about 2 feet hight, and 3 feet wide. their quads wouldnt fit! couldnt figure out where they went for a minute (there was a gate next to it for quads) and every hairpin turn they had to 3pt turn it, or stop, and pick up the rear to swing it around.

stay_upright: what was your impression of the aprilla? i was looking at a couple for sale online. the idea is awesome, but probably needs some refinement.

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 AM

I didn't see the Aprilia round the track because we were set off at minutes by rider number.

Over here in the UK reviews say they are slower than a big single 4t because it's harder to find grip (less torque, too revvy, more power) but I imagine with some faster going - like the event I did the equation swings back in their favor a bit. I'd research the availability of a huge flywheel weight, perhaps that can help make them good every where?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 AM

i got this months dirt rider, with the article about the "exotics", gg, aprilla, husaberg, beta. they were biased against the test aprilla because it was malfunctioning somewhere in the efi. the gas gas was about spot on, good hookup and speed, "for all we know the seat material may be concrete that has yet to fully harden", wish it was electric start(esp when im stuck in mud up to the pipe!) very light and easy to controll.

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck: