Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Rekluse durability

Hey guys,
How's the durability of the rekluse? Does it fry clutch plates faster?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Only if you ride in the wrong gear.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm thinking about using one at the ISDE to help with fatigue, but I just want to make sure the reliability is there. Has anyone torture tested a Z-start for extended riding periods?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Speedy, my biznis partner ran a Rekluse in his 05 450 and now in his 07 and never had a problem. He is not easy on stuff. I've installed a half dozen or more and only one person fried plates and after a couple times went back to stock.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM

I have run a Rekluse auto clutch in my ’01 XC300 and my ’06 EC300.

I installed the Rekluse in my ’01 XC300 at 103 hours and 1350 miles. It now has 415 hours and 5300 miles of technical trail riding. That is 300+ hours and it still has the original plates. The Rekluse component wear is negligible and well within their specs. The clutch gets well used as many different family members and friends ride my ’01 XC300.
After much trial and experimentation, here is what I found to be the key factors to good Rekluse performance and long clutch life…

1) run 10 tungsten carbide balls (This is updated since my Rekluse install article). It makes for a firmer clutch engage and less slip.

2) Set the installed gap correctly and then verify/adjust the installed gap after break-in and periodically thereafter. The installed gap changes measurably during break-in and very little there after that if everything is set up correctly.

3) Setting the proper clutch engage speed. This includes getting a good consistent low RPM idle. If you idle erratically or too high it will make proper low speed engagement a problem. While a higher engage speed sounds like the ticket to going fast, the clutch will slip way too much in the technical situations.

For install details…

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/rekluse__install.html

Please note that I run AmsOil Formula 4 stroke 0W-40, which was the best oil I found for GasGas clutch operation. With other oils, your mileage may differ.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM

How long does it take to adjust the gap? My issue is I'm probably renting a bike at the ISDE this year and only have a few hours to get the bike broken in and set up for the race. After that we have a 10 minute work period in the morning and 15 minutes at the end of the day for all maintenance.

I like the idea of not having to use the clutch all day, but not at the price of a potential mechanical failure.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

If you are just renting the MC, then I would not use a Rekluse.

If you are serious about a Rekluse, then it is best to have practice time to get familiar with it and get it tuned correctly.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM

The plan would be to install it on my bike here, get comfortable with it, then bring it with me when I head to Greece in late August.

I'm thinking of switching to one for riding around BC since the riding is super technical. I don't have troubles using the lever, but when you're riding for 3-6 hours every little thing helps to keep me riding at my best.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 AM

If you are going to run it at home first and get familiar with it then it makes more sense to use it. Using it at home will allow you to best judge your ISDE use.

If you do a lot of technical riding the Rekluse makes things so much easier and smoother. The more fatigued you are the more it helps.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Regarding an in-field/time limited maintenance (say to adjust the gap), I'd be "concerned"; it's fairly quick to get access to the clutch via the side access cover, but there are a number (16?) of very small (black!) TORX screws to remove. Then you have to *** very carefully *** remove the plate containing the (32?) throw-out balls, then the adjustment spring(s) and washer(s), then you can adjust the gap by way of replacing for thicker driver and/or friction plates. IMO, there's a lot of tiny parts which could be dropped into the engine (they instructions strongly suggest that you pack any openings with rags) or into the dirt!

I'm sure you could do it "on trail" if you've got the time to be careful, but it certianly wouldn't be something I'd attempt knowing I've only got 10-15 minutes.

I guess the only thing to do would be to time yourself prior to the race.

And regarding the B.C. ride; Mike Fetterer said he'd be happy to lead a fast group through his favourite trails around Summerland. I'm looking forward to hearing the post-ride stories.

Dale