Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Post piston rmoval/cylinder head

Ive got an ec 250 2002
Iam wanting to change the rings and clean the piston, I have remved the water connector and the six hex bolts, removed the cylinder head.....now i dont have any idea what i do next so i can get the piston out .

Also is it usual for the top of the piston to be black with carbon, and can i use a de coke-ing spray to clean up the cylinder and piston.

Are the rings easy to put on the piston, and finally !!... how do i remove the magneto cover to check the timing, as i cant seem to lock it off to unscrew the central nut.

Thanx

Matt

Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hi Matt,
GasGas recently released a "workshop manual" for the ec bikes. It can be found on the gasgas atlantic site at...

http://www.gasgasatlantic.com/pdf/06ECShopmanual.zip

I am not a big fan of clymer shop manuals - I like the honda oem shop manuals. They are usually very detailed with alot of illustrations. You could also pick up a shop manual for a honda cr250 to get more detail on disassembly and reassembly.

I would suggest reading through the gasgas manual and another general manual for a bike like the cr250 to get a better idea of what you need to do. After that, you can ask questions here. If you have a digital camera you can post photos along with your questions.

Sounds like your next step for you is to remove the cylinder (which is easy as this is a case reed motor)...

jeff
Old 03-01-2007, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingymijig View Post
now i dont have any idea what i do next so i can get the piston out .

Really big hammer

Seriously though, you need to disconnect the power valve linkage. Remove the little cover on the right side of the cylinder and then remove the tiny nut (very carefully) that the metal rod is tied to the actuator arm. Once this is detached and cleared the cylinder can be lifted off and you can access the piston.

Some carbon on the piston top is pretty normal. Remove the piston and gently scrape the carbon off. Then remove the power valve bits from the cylinder and give them a good cleaning (again scraping all the carbon off and washing well). When done, give everything a good washing in hot soapy water before reassembly.