Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Need some gasgas 300 advise???

So ive been thinking about buying a new gasgas 300 ec i have a 2004 ec 300 right now there is nothing wrong with it i was just wondering what you guys think of the new ones ive heard the older ones are better its a lot of money to throw down for a new one if i do buy a new one it will be a sixdays bike so give me your alls input of the old verses new gasgas 300ec Thanks......

Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM

While all GGs are quick handling, the '03/'04 were the most relaxed. I think the root of what you may have heard is that the older (pre '03) bikes turned better than the '03, but the frame was changed again in '05. Basic geometry is still the same but with different construction and reinforcement. A new '11 will be a huge leap over an '04 in every way. Refinement of fit and finish, weight reduction, and looks are at another level as well.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Think of it this way, moto-x....you have had the 04 for 7 years, assuming you bought it new, and if you buy a new 11 model and keep it for 7 years, you defer the cost over those 7 years, thats just a shade over $1K a year for your hobby. And in this day and age, 1 grand a year for something you enjoy and keeps you fit and happy....well, then its a no brainer!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have owned both. I own an 2011 now.
Looking back the 2004 must have been pretty dang good. it was my first Gas Gas. It hooked me to the brand.
Yes it had some quirks. The ones that come to mind first were.... the tiny trials style gas tank cap and fill hole. The side air box lid grabbing your boots and opened up when you didn't want it to. The radiator shrouds hung down and sometimes caught the top of your boots. The mounting tab holes for those shrouds always break. The gas tank shroud mounting holes pull out or strip out of the tank. Weak sub frame. wimpy steel kickstand. Seat cover wears through at the knee contact point as it stuck out there just enough to wear. Rear end with long fender stuck up in back a bit high making it hard to get the leg over when on uneven ground. kick start lever and shift lever short.

Those issues are long a thing of the past for the 2011

The pluses of the 2004. motor was a tractor and smooth, a great tight woods bike. It came with those awesome indestructible did u rims. Top notch suspension. practically indestructible Hebo graphics. The blue Hebo plastic did not white like most blue when bent unless it was very severe. Super stable. Stone cold reliable. Great hand holds for pulling bike out of tough spots. License platable everywhere.

There has been a steady improvement in refining the Gas Gas 300 since 2004 and all Gas Gas for that matter. I have seen it first hand owning the 04, 06, 08, and now 2011 300.
Weight loss, fit in finish, ease of maintenance, durability, performance, and looks all are evident. But most importantly they haven't scraped what works, the bike has continued to evolve and be refined from the already great design. The minute you throw a leg over an 2011 you will still feel right at home.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Very nice write up Roscoe.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john01 View Post
Very nice write up Roscoe.
+1

I agree. Makes me want to buy a new one. Oh wait, I just did.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM

well when the dealer gets some more in i'll go check em out ive called 2 times already and there sold out i live about an hr away dont want waste gas driving for nothing i do like the 04 alot and i do hate that gas fill hole my 04 has on it the bike also has a rekluse in it and i didnt buy it new im the 3rd owner but i know the history of the bike its pretty much all original besides some fatbars and gpr and rekluse
Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwheat View Post
Think of it this way, moto-x....you have had the 04 for 7 years, assuming you bought it new, and if you buy a new 11 model and keep it for 7 years, you defer the cost over those 7 years, thats just a shade over $1K a year for your hobby. And in this day and age, 1 grand a year for something you enjoy and keeps you fit and happy....well, then its a no brainer!

wow, great way to look at it. can you do a powerpoint presentation for my wife?
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer View Post
wow, great way to look at it. can you do a powerpoint presentation for my wife?
After many years of drooling over/wanting/buying new bikes, I have wised up and can pretty much rationalize any spending on bikes. Of course, this over a period of two wives.... The first one was real selfish and didn't/couldn't/wouldn't understand my logic....had to kick that one to the curb! The second wife is a jewel, she knew from the start what she was getting herself into and I've kept her for over 20 years now.

But yeah, I have had plenty of experience in "sweet talkin'" wives. Its pretty much worked for me, maybe not instantaneously but sooner or later, I beat their will to say "no" down.

If you need a new "line", I may be able to help you out....
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwheat View Post
Love your logic - now to try and sell this to the wife...