Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Seal question

Not so new newbie to gg bought used 01 300 2 years ago love it !
But a few weeks ago on a long stretch of wfo road she burped and then stinky smoke. Checked comp. reeds etc. I belive i have a weak seal thats
letting in crankcase oil at sustained high rpm ,no problems regular riding.
Anyway dont want to tear down engine til seasons over wondering if its just a seal which would be the culprit? can it be fixed without complete teardown? also is there a generic quality seal part #thats not too expensive ie factory gg part
Thanks for any input
Stoby
Ridin in Mass.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 PM

You will have to pull the right side case cover, I'm not sure if the clutch basket has to be removed to do it, I don't think it does. As for the seal you may be able to take the old one to a bearing house and have them match one up but I think it would be safer to use the intended GasGas part as the composition of the material may not be that good with a general-purpose seal. They are inexpensive. Last time I bought one I think it was less than $20 including shipping.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Pull the primary cover and the pinion (reverse thread). Pulling the clutch and PV governer will give you more room also. Remove the sleeve and oring and you can then carefully remove the seal with a puller or slap hammer with appropriate hook.

The OEM seals have a different lip material or coating than the generic Buna N rubber seals, and they are not that expensive.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 PM

I would change the o ring at the same time.