Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Offroad practice track

One of the things I have always wanted to do is going to happen. We have bought a house in the country with about 2 acres of land and I am going to get to set up a practice track on it. I don't want it to be so easy we will get bored with it, nor so hard, we end up with 911 on speed dial.
I have access to probably 100 railroad cross ties and have some thoughts for those, and of course a rock garden, but beyond that...... no big jumps, too old for that..
anyone with pix's of thiers or thoughts would be great...
thanks
jay

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Get a trials bike!!

How close are the neighbors??
any dust or noise issues to worry about??
whats the terrain/soil like.
I'd design it to fit into the landscape .. you don't want someting that will look like a blown out sand pit after two months of playing!!
2 acres is a little small .... I'd build an intermediate level endurocross course. visit some trial sites and see what they do for agility training and build something similar for a dirtbike. Make a fun main loop to zip around on the dirtbike and make all your endurocross features and agility "tests" as off shoots. noobs can easily go around them, or if you don't feel like dealing with them you can just zip on by. Set up the main loop to emphasize (sp) certain riding techniques. kind of like a giant technique honing play ground. Bet you could get pretty creative with those all those ties!!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Skid brings up some valid points. 3 of my 5 acres are woods with some nice ledges and stuff but it's too small and too close to the neighbors to be worth messing with.
I think it could be made fun on a trials bike but, again, I think the noise would still get annoying to my neighbors.
I hope yours works out to be ridable. Be careful on those ties, too. Those creosote splinters are nasty.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM

oh yeah... a trials is on the list. it is not real close to anyone else, but you can see the houses. I think it will be fine. I ride my 300 in my back yard in town now with no problems.
it is pretty much just a flat open lot, not hills or terrain now so an obstacles will have to be added. it is about 100 yards across the back line of the property and 250 yards long so there is plenty of room..
i am wanting like a loop with endurocross type stuff mixed in.
we are supposed to move jul 1, so maybe after the summer i can get it going.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 AM

were gonna do the same thing at out place. have about 2 acres too. but we have some good hills and some edges to ride off, but also have about 100tonne of dirt laying there from some excavation we had done, so jsut a matter of getting a digger in. we were inspired after watching the redbull city scramble. we ahve rocks and some logs to play with too
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Here you go..............

Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM

I have a little loop behind my house. It is relatively close to the houses it borders on three sides. I just try to keep it to a minimum (once per week or so) and I only ride alone or with a buddy with a silent 4 stroke. The land owner's cousins occasionally come over on their 450 race quads and do a good job of making me look quiet.

In terms or terrain, it has had trails for years and years, so there are some nice rooted and muddy sections. I built a bridge so I could go out without getting sloppy (esp. with all the rain in the northeast this year).

Personally, I would create a zero loop and a hero loop and make sure to work in some nice single track if you can.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Here you go..............

nice..... you would need a good flat spot to land a helicopter by that for me..
and what is the number for 911....