Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_j View Post
This is in the four corners area of New Mexico. We are fortunate to have approximately 20,000 acres of multi-use BLM just north of town and about 1 mile from my house. There are three other areas of BLM land around that town that we ride at frequently. Given the lower elevation when compared to Las Alamos; we don't have any tall pines. It is mostly just high desert with juniper trees.
High desert with single track running through stands of juniper trees sounds like the place I rode outside of Albuquerque.

When I was a teenager, I spent 15 days hiking through Philmont Boy Scout Ranch near Clayton, NM. It was my first time in the Rockies. It amazed me that there would be desert everywhere I could see, and the country would turn to such lush forests as I climbed to the higher elevations.
The mountains of New Mexico are really beautiful.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shang View Post
Well, I've been loving my new bike!

So the other day I go on a 50 mile or so loop with some friends, I'm on the return road to the car, I'm just cruising up the road, minding my own business when the bike just dies. Initially I thought it was out of gas but it wouldn't restart. Well, long story short, the cooling system was completely dry. I'm not sure how it happenned but on tear down I can see where the inner o-ring failed for some reason and I must have burned all my coolant.

Anyway, just needs a top end. Cylinder looks good and parts are in the mail. So I figured while it's apart I'll cut the head. I have a friend who has been building turbo snowmobiles for 20+ years, so he ordered me parts through one of his accounts and he is cutting the squish on the head.

Notice the plug turned gold from the heat.

Wrist pin.

While I am in there I did a billet impeller from checkpoint. (Great service and fast shipping BTW)

...and I ditched the t-stat and used one of these little inline coolers as a fitting. I'm not sure they do anything but it's cooler looking than a brass fitting.

I also updated the lighting a little. I rode a little a few weeks ago in the dark and was surprised how terrible the lighting is. So I picked up a cheap ebay led bike light.

I cut the back off, gutted the driver out of it since it has multiple settings as well as strobe and I didn't want that. I bought a driver from ledsupply.com and wired that in. The light press fit into the stock openning perfectly. I just through a washer under the stock screw to help hold it in place then rtv'ed the back.

It's not as bright as I would like, and the housing barely gets warm so I will probably pick up a stronger driver for it but it is waaay brighter than the stock headlight.

Oh, and on the subject of the rain/shine switch, I can feel a difference, but I wind up riding it on shine all the time, so I removed the switch and just plugged the ends from the cdi together.

Well, I finished getting the bike back together and man the head mod made a huge difference! It's way more crisp!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Nothing as exciting as some of the earlier posts, just bled the brakes, replaced tubliss tubes and worn liners (from over zealous tire levers) and replaced wheel bearings - used the skf wheel seal kits - really cool hopefully they will last much longer than normal seals as they turn within themselves as opposed to turning on and wearing a groove on the spacer
Old 07-24-2014, 10:29 AM

I put some .46 fork springs in my 48 Zokes. They were only 25ml low on fluid so I'm happy especially after 30 hours on the bike.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Time to upgrade. Almost bought a sherco. Almost bought a beta. Almost bought a husky.
Instead, I bought a piston, rings, reed valves, graphics, seat cover, head work.
Like my Dad said; that gasgas is beating all those bikes every week, why would buy one of them?
At 88 he's still smarter than me.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Got my bike back from the dealers. Repair was covered by warranty - new bendix, flywheel, ringear, woodruff key and gasket. Everything bar the flywheel was in stock and that was sent from Spain and arrived in Australia in 4 business days.
Who says parts availability is a problem owning a gas gas?

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Default Progress

All I'll get done until Tues due to a son's wedding & dealer meetings but here is something to look at. Pics are small to save space, not the best (I-Phone) but you'll get the idea. Still a couple of red items to go on.......Soon my Senorita!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bling4.jpeg (48.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpeg bling3.jpeg (44.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpeg bling2.jpeg (42.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpeg bling1.jpeg (37.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpeg Bling.jpeg (35.5 KB, 80 views)
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Hey n_green

The importer, Jeff, is great to deal with and is carrying alot of parts in stock now. I've found it easier to deal with him than the dealers - they say a 3 wk wait on parts he has in stock, 2 days to ship to WA. He is also importing Cristini's.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
All I'll get done until Tues due to a son's wedding & dealer meetings but here is something to look at. Pics are small to save space, not the best (I-Phone) but you'll get the idea. Still a couple of red items to go on.......Soon my Senorita!
that looks awesome - what have you got planned for the plastics and for polishing up the motor so it does not look 3 years old?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_ndro View Post
Hey n_green

The importer, Jeff, is great to deal with and is carrying alot of parts in stock now. I've found it easier to deal with him than the dealers - they say a 3 wk wait on parts he has in stock, 2 days to ship to WA. He is also importing Cristini's.

Cheers mate. I didn't go through Jeff, went through the dealer that sold me my bike, which conveniently is only 25 mins away. He is a top bloke as well and couldn't do enough for me. I'm just lucky my local dealer is one of the ones who loves gassers and is pretty passionate about them.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC