Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Motul 300V is a ester synthetic good for very high temps, I used it in my air cooled Ducati Hypermotard (dry clutch) in summer. Its formulated to run hot, as ester absorbs moisture from the air at a high rate and that will not be driven off otherwise. It is totally unnecessary and undesirable in a two stroke trans, which basically runs cold compared to a four stroke.
I do agree with you, that's also what I think. I even posted this question to Motul Portugal but they never confirmed this.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 AM

Simmo,

I'm an average clutch user, not excessively rough but don't baby it either. This bike has seen it all since new so judge on that. Surprised me too when I pulled the cover. Also note I have the questionable basket with the finger bridges on the bottom. No squalk unless I try something really stupid and plates not burned and in spec.

The other thing is a two stroke trans is a simple splash lubed stystem with no filter. For this reason its desireable to change the oil often even before it breaks down to remove any debris, mainly from the clutch. The other nice thing about the diesel oils is they have a high detergent content, that keeps everything in suspension so it is drained out with the oil. The motors look super clean inside when broken down. Some of the more tech savy 250F guys over on TT, (Sunruh comes to mind) have done oil anaylisis on many oils and determined the best choice is the diesel oil changed every ride/race. If I were on a four stroke for a multi day riding trip or very long race in the heat where an oil change is impractical, then the 300V or Redline ester base oils would be good. I would never store a bike with this though, especially in a humid climate.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I do agree with you, that's also what I think. I even posted this question to Motul Portugal but they never confirmed this.

good to know! , thanks guys.
i'll try some other oil then.