Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 AM

Default Advice needed: Front wheel gasket 2004 FSE450

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so quick intro

My name is Peter, I live in Malmö, Sweden. I'm a fairly newcomer to the enduro sport and quite recent owner of a 2004 FSE 450. Seems like a good forum with a lot of helpful spirits around here. Hope to be able to pitch in some advice as I go along as well.

On to my issue.

I ordered a complete set of bearings, seals/gasket to my front and back wheels as part of renovating the old FSE after I just recently bought it.

Everything works smoothly until I am about to mount the front wheel and insert the spacers, or bushings into the gaskets. Its tight as hell, and I had to basically force the bushings into the gasket with some help from a hammer and some lube. Not a good feeling, right. Next, after installing the wheel and axle, the wheel turns heavy as a result. On the one side, the gasket even revolved in the hub instead of following the wheel around the axle, if you know what I mean.

The dealer is not a GG dealer but said he ordered the original gaskets and it should be right. I think I got the wrong gaskets. What do you think? It cant be that tight of a fit, right? Also, I can't seem to find the parts number or dimensions of the gasket, it's omitted in the parts list I found on gasgas.es.

Can anyone advice?

Regards, Peter

Old 08-07-2010, 03:28 AM

I believe the front wheel bearing seal(gasket) should be a 30x42x7 seal. From the sound of your description they have an inner diameter which is too small, so the spacer wont fit.
I also think that the spacers have the ability to be mounted between the seal and the bearing, in a way that the part of the spacer that has the lip on it is against the bearing and then the seal is installed over the top so it doesnt fall off when the axle is removed.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks, I'll go measure.

About the spacers, do you mean that the thicker end should go inwards, inside of the seal? It was installed the other way around when i got it.

Wouldn't that cause tear on the inside of the seal as the wheel rotates?

From the part list it looks like it should go thick side out?

Peter
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 PM

The spacer shouldnt go around like its stuck to the axle.
It should sit still in the seal/gasket while the wheel and gasket rotate, it doesnt damage the seal this way.
The diagram shows it with the lip facing out, but iv had it the other way with the spacer mounted in the seal for 6 months with no issues on my 200.
Its just a trick that I was told by the New Zealand GasGas manager so that the spacers dont fall out when the axle is removed.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 AM

I see. Thanks noobi for your feedback! The seals I got are obviously wrong spec, sI'll go bounce them to the dealer first thing tomorrow

P
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

The front wheel seals of the 2004 and earlier GasGas EC models are both 25x42x7.

Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/