Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Could somebody explain what all is required to street legal a two stroke?

I dont really want to, but i keep seeing street legal this, not street legal that, so im getting curious as to what exactly is defined by street legal. particularly in Minnesota.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Site Sponsor

Here in Minnesota you can register vehicles at any of the "license bureaus" or Deputy Registrars.

The problem is that most of them, especially the ones in the larger communities, will most likely catch that the motorcycle is really a dirt bike and they usually won't let you register it.

I've found that if you find a very, very, very, rural Deputy Registrar's office, one thats far away from the bigger cities that isn't paying attention to all of the details and paperwork you provided, they most likely will let you register just about anything as long as they don't see "for off-road use" anywhere on the MSO.

Once you have it registered (at the Deputy Registrars office) cross your fingers that the State of Minnesota doesn't catch it when they process the paper work to issue you a title as the VIN numbers often indicate that the vehicle started life as an off-road motorycle.

If you're lucky you get a Minnesota title in the mail about 30 days later.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I once registered an,RM 250 in Oregon. No lights, nothing. For the purpose of racing enduro where a plate was needed. That was before it mattered. Back then settlers were still fighting my family for land.
The whole country seems to be rising up to it though. My Gas Gas had a plate for several months before the DMV asked for it back...
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM

For some reason when I was a kid my dad wanted to insure my motorcycle. One day he gave me a Colorado plate for it. It was a YZ125. I was 15 years old at the time and refused to put it on knowing that I would be harassed by my friends. I still don't know how he got it registered, I guess back then they just wanted your money. You probably could have got a plate for a wheel barrow if you didn't mind paying.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Default Title

NJ has several lists that they can pull from to identify the manufacturer and model to see if it is street legal from the factory. Now many get through from time to time if lucky. It is a problem here because any enduro in NJ requires a plate. Also, you need one to ride on anything but private land. NJ just eliminated motorcycle inspection so it doesn't much matter anymore the function of lights and such. Tagged bikes become important around here to ride in most cases. The easier the bike is to tag the more it can be worth and the more popular they become. KTM's had gigantic growth because of their tagability at one point.

Rick

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 PM

NH has a law on the books that allows you to upgrade a dirt bike to street legal status by making the neccessary modifications. those modification are as follows ... it needs to have a head light and rear light with a functioning brake light, and a horn. Does not need directionals if it did not come from the factory with out them. You don't need DOT tires either. This law was enacted back in the early 80's with the help of local enduro riders. I think law enforcement was starting to lean on them a bit about the legality of the bikes. they went to the state and said this is how an enduro works, if we can't get down the road it will kill the sport. they came up with the minimum standards and that was that. The above makes you leagal on any state road but you can't ride on the interstate. this sounds pretty sweet but ... computers maybe the deathnell. Evidently the feds and states are starting to get more coordinated through their computer systems and there maybe some conflict with state law and federal regs. I'm guessing thats why you gotta stay off the interstate. but I've heard a few rumblings. still works for now though.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Michigan has a pretty easy process of converting an 'off-road' title into a street title provided you fit the proper lights, horn, tires etc.

You may be able to title the Michigan street-titled bike in Minnesota as a transfer between states - check with your DMV and see what they say about buying from out-of-state.

This has been covered before, but in 2010 the MSOs included the 'off-road only' labeling, albeit in a location that might lead to paperwork malfunctions - in 2011 they only declare it to be of body type "motorcycle".
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 AM

well see i have a 2003 ec250, and as i understand it, all of the "closed course only" mso stuff came about later, so would my bike be grandfathered in?