Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Rekluse Core EXP

Rekluse finally finished the EXP clutches for the Gas Gas bike. I picked mine up from Gofasters on Monday. I installed it on Tuesday and rode that night.

I had the Z-start on my 06 300 and liked it. I took it off before the Six Days in Chile. I didn't want any chance of having to adjust it mid race or any possible failures with all the parts even though I had used it trouble free for 1 1/2 seasons. Since then I have gotten into trials bikes and started to use the clutch to conquer more and more obsticles. I really havn't been too interested in using an auto clutch until Rekluse came out with the EXP. It looked simple to install, easy to adjust, and it supposedly retained FULL lever feel. I pushed on Mark w/ Gofasters pretty hard to have Rekluse build one for gas gas.

When the clutches came in the boxes were quite large compared to the Z-start. You open the box and there are alot of parts and two manuals. I thought, what the hell did I get myself into....

After reading through the instructions I began the install. Basically, you remove your entire clutch including the stock basket. You install the new basket, spacers, inner pressure basket, rekluse metal plates, stock frictions, lining plate, rekluse pressure plate, and springs. Once the springs are tight, you adjust the gap using the dial-a-gap. Finally I put the cover on an did a break-in ride.

The first thing that amazed me was the lever feel. It might have been sligthly easier pull to it, but the feel is virtually identical to a regular clutch. Dinamite the brakes without pulling in the clutch and there was no stalling!!!

I rode back to the shop, let it cool and checked the gap. I managed to get 2 laps in on my 2 mile course that consists of lots of tight, technical off chamber, with rocks and log crossings. Unfortunitly it had rained so much I could not really push it to the limit but with the limited ride I was impressed. It felt as though I was running the stock clutch only there was no possibility of stalling. I could ride the bike however I wanted, with or without the lever. The engagment point seemed good with it engaging right off of idle. The only thing that was somewhat annoying was the chirp that I got from extremely low engagement. It is alittle more than normal. (I can get a stock clutch to chirp pretty good when I run it at super lower R's) I have my first race on it this weekend in Wisconsin. It is a very rocky place and there is a good chance it will be a mud race.

If anybody has any questions let me know. One thing I noticed with the installion is the instructions are for all motorcycles and there are a couple of Gas Gas specific parts that are included (thinner steel plate, thrust bearing, and washer.) Take your time and the install is super easy. Adjusting it is even easier. (No feeler guages!!!!)

Brian