Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Does the oil not hit the skid plate and run all over the place?
2010 GasGas EC 300 Nambotin Replica #141
2006 Honda XR650R Supermoto
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM

i disagree with the hyde packing full of mud, if you modify it which is quite easy, you just take 2 steel pipe clamps and loop them around the pipe and slowly start heating the skid plate while drawing the pipe clamps in to fill the great big hole that is usually at the front of the bike.my buddy (WTEC on the forum) gave me the idea and the differnece on his six days to my nambo(which is still stock) is absolutly huge! if the packing of mud is a concern it shouldnt be with this unit if you spend a bit of time. the scorpion looks good(ive got the rad braces) but the pipe guard on the hyde combo is the draw to me, everyone i know with an eline has a wrecked pipe and dont think you can get better pipe protection than the hyde
Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM

I would think that would make holding the front mount bar a real PIA during replacement. It sucks enough stock. I made all new mounts with spacers and captive bolts and its way better, but you still need to hold the T bar at least for the first bolt. Welded on frame mounts would be the answer. The foam works good and you can pack it right around the header as its heat proof. I've had a love/hate relationship with that thing since I got it, a PIA to deal with but I still have the OEM pipe in perfect shape.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
Does the oil not hit the skid plate and run all over the place?
C'mon dude .... you new at this game??
Next time you use up a roll of toilet paper or paper towels keep the round cardboard thing. when its time to drain your oil cut said roll to size, usually about 2 inches long, insert said roll inside the hole in your skid plate and push it nice and tight up against the bottom of your motor. unscrew drain bolt ... oil stays inside your little cardboard oil tube and drains nicely into your catch pan. top of your skid plate stays nice and clean!! no oil drips on the shed floor from when you left it on the kickstand over night either!!! My moose skid plate oil hole was the perfect size to take a toilet paper roll. The scorpian is too small so you have to cut the roll length wise and roll it up a little tight. then when it springs open the tension keeps it in place. No tP roll?? any piece of bendy cardboard will do. Manila office folder cardboard is nice and flexible and rolls up nicely. One manial folder will get you through a season just about!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 PM

I prefer the Hyde plastic skid plates. Worked well for me on previous bikes. Knowing that the pipes have been tucked up more starting with the 2010s, I emailed Hyde to ask if they made a skid plate that matches the current bikes. They answered back to say that their customers are buying the HP-EXG-78. This is the skid plate/pipe guard combo that looks a bit crude (probably fine for maximum total protection).

I guess that it appears to fit because the pipe is completely hidden and you can't see the extra space. I saw something here about reshaping a Hyde skid plate to make it fit better. Does someone have a picture of this?

Doesn't the pipe mount get in the way of having a tucked in skid plate?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM

The key with the Hyde is to glue or silicone the mounts to the frame so they stay in position when you take it off. It is definitely a love/hate relationship though, especially on the newer bikes when you have to heat and mold it to fit around the pipe properly. With mine I just ran a large hose clamp around the lowest center part of the pipe and guard, and heated the guard with a heat gun while tightening the hose clamp. Then I just left the clamp on for a couple rides to make sure it was going to stay put, and now it's fine. Hard to beat the pipe protection though. I still want to try some spray foam in the gaps to make a fitted piece to keep mud, etc. out.

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 09-01-2010, 05:07 AM

Rubber hose sections on the frame rails really help limit rock abuse to the frame and also the Hyde itself. I have no frame dents and while the combo is looking a bit rough its still intact. I think the failure mode will be it simply scraping itself through. If this happens I'm going to remove the pipe guard section and fit it to a Mecca or Scorpion plate with some custom mounting to maintain the ridgidity.

BTW, I called Whipps in Austrailia and they do not make a GG pipe cage, bummer.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 AM

Does Hyde still use the same US Dist?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Scott,

The link still works so I would assume so.